PDA

View Full Version : im planning on buyin discus this thursday

Kobe
08-20-2006, 11:09 AM
hey as i said am buyin my new fish on thursday....but wanted 2 check on something.....my PH tap water is hard(about 8.3) so i dont think thats a good PH for them while the tank theyre kept in has a PH of 6.7 ....... and after aging my water for 24 hours it moves down to 7.8 so i still dont know how 2 move them from a low PH tank 2 a high one or is it ok if i just float the bag on top of the water?im lost :S ..... lol and what other stuff do u guys do when first bringin discus 2 your tanks ...... any comments and opinions are appreciated ..................

kobe

greyhoundfan
08-20-2006, 04:42 PM
I'll just add more questions to your questions.:D

How big are you discuses going to be? Juvies, sub adults, adults? Will they be in a seperate tank? Bare Bottomed or planted? Is this an established tank? If it isn't PH would be the least of your problems. How big is your tank and how may discuses were you planning on getting?

Assuming your tank is already established (hopefully from a fishless cycle) than I would use the drip acclimation method. If PH and temps were the same than drop and plop would be ok. But with the wide variance of PH it would be best to make it gradual.

Set up a 5 Gallon bucket with airstone. Drop your fish in that with the Petstore's water only. After about half hour, start putting in your tank water. Maybe a few ounces at a time. Add new water in 1/2 hr increments. Whole process should take at least 2 hours. Keep adding water til your water volume doubles the original amount you started with.

After you are done with adding the water, I would test PH of your tank water and compare it to the discus bucket water, if it's close than I'd dump em' in. REMEMBER take your TIME.. Sudden PH drops or rises aren't tolerated by discuses at all.

Marinemom
08-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Remember to net them out of the bucket and then place them in the tank. I would not want any water from the petstore in the tank.

Diane

08-21-2006, 08:58 AM
If the water you are going to put the discus in is 7.8 than you will be fine,that's what mine is. Going from 6.7 to 7.8 shouldn't be too hard on them. I suggest when you get them home just grab them with your hands and drop them in your tank right away, this is much less stressful than acclimating them. Get your temp up to 85 or 86 for the first few days to help them out and you should be fine. Make sure you always age your water prior to doing a wc, putting the 8.3 water in the tank and letting it settle to 7.8 will stress your discus

AADiscus
08-21-2006, 11:29 AM
I would just put them in the tank as well. Do not try to feed them for the first day to day 1/2. Let them get used to the new tank situation.

If you could answer some of greyhounds questions it would help also. Knowing your tank setup, how many fish you are getting and size, etc will help out alot too.

Kobe
08-21-2006, 01:58 PM
How big are you discuses going to be? Juvies, sub adults, adults? Will they be in a seperate tank? Bare Bottomed or planted? Is this an established tank? If it isn't PH would be the least of your problems. How big is your tank and how may discuses were you planning on getting?

well.....first thing is i did a new thread under this one by mistake......anyway im planing on getting 3-4 inch discus,barebottomed for the first 6 months i guess...and its been well cycled for 6 weeks......its a 75 gallon tank so i suppose 6 3-4 inches are enough right ...........i dont really know how much im thinking a number from 6 to 8 no more no less and all from the same source so i wont go through quarantining......thats all ...and thanks for the dripping method i think it might work :) if u can help in any comment or any post i am thankful

kobe