PDA

View Full Version : E grade water

Sharn
08-21-2006, 07:05 AM
hello guys, i have recently been wondering why my discus arent as happy as they should be. they all eat ok and act fine but are a bit skitty and some of them are a bit dark or showing their bars. i have read that poor water quality can make discus skitty

i recently found out that our city has E grade water supplies :mad: this leads me to beleive that since our water is poor quality it is making my discus unhappy? they are changing our cities water soon onto new bores which will take it up to B grade- do i need to worry about this as there might be a change in parameters? is it worth ringing them to see what day they are getting changed over and if possible get a run down of both supplies? i went in once to see if i could get a print out of everything but place they didnt get back to me.

would i be correct in assuming that the low quality water is upsetting them slightly? if so what can i do aside from getting an RO system or something to make them feel better until we get better quality water

all my levels are ok (nitrate always under 10ppm, no ammonia/nitrite, kh a bit low-3, ph 7) and stocking is reasonable. tank is BB with a piece of driftwood and a plant. i have spent countless hours reading on this site to see what could be wrong and seem to be doing what is reccomended for a healthy, happy tank :confused:

raglanroad
08-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Sharn, absolutely get the information as to what day work starts on the system.
they may pump massive chlorinie during work on the system, and contaminants may also be present.
usually regular water reports are available online, I think, like this one:

http://www.toronto.ca/water/system_quality/pdf/moe_annual_report_2004.pdf

search using your locality and "municipal water supply", "water report", or other words that it may be under.

Dave

Sharn
10-05-2006, 07:44 AM
as the bores are changing over very soon i decided i better act and i have found a water report on our supply that we are on currently.
here is the link but it needs to be downloaded and opened with Adobe i think (only way i could get it to open). if there are any scientists out there it would be much appreciated if you could give your opinion on our current supply (i understood very little of the report myself :o ). is there anything in there that stands out to why my discus would be uncomfortable? they are comfortable enough to be spawning but not enough to be totally relaxed and calm (often skitz out when startled which can be me moving in bed).

http://www.wbopdc.govt.nz/Services/CouncilServices/Eastern+Water+Supply+Zone.htm

i will be ringing their contact number tomorrow to see if i can get a report on the new supply which is B- grade i think, they are supposed to be up and running this month sometime and all i know about it is that it is spring water :confused:

i am extremely worried they will kick it into gear and i wont know, i would have to lose my fish (have other tanks with other species) if the new supply was quite different from the old one :(