PDA

View Full Version : Growing on question

bosher
08-21-2006, 11:30 AM
I have kept Juvenile and Adult discus for the last 5 Years but have just bought some babies 1.5" max my tap water is very soft I run my water through a HMA unit as it only contains chlorine now whilst I appreicate this is good for breeding. It is not for the long term development and growth of the youngsters so question is it worth adding minerals to the water to increase the GH of the water ? OR should I just leave alone and what will be will be The Juveniles I have had have grown but when comparing them against other same strains perhaps not as well as I would have liked, but now when dealing with these little ones there bones are still in the process of forming so it maybe that I do need to add certain elements and if so what?

In addtion do you think the purchase of a TDS meter will help me in the long run?

Thanks for looking in

Carol_Roberts
08-21-2006, 02:29 PM
If your water is below GH 3 you can add minerals like calcium and magnesium or crushed shells. Water changes will replenish minerals too - as long as your water has a GH of 2 or 3 or above.

pcsb23
08-21-2006, 04:45 PM
I think with regular, frequent and reasonably large water changes and a good balanced diet, including bh,fbw, mysis and a good quality flake/granule they will grow just fine in your water.

bosher
08-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Well I change 30-40% per day and feed Zm baby discus granules and Beefheart along with flake food crushed the GH of my water is 3 and Kh is 1-2 so judging by what has been said I can continue as I am without adding crushed shell or tuffa rock yes ?:confused: