PDA

View Full Version : unknown parasite

CoKen
08-22-2006, 09:01 AM
hi guys

pls have a look my discus, notice the circled area on the top fin, there are 2 white stains, this is really weird, i m pretty sure they are not ich.

it starts soon after i did my 25% water change (new water was aged 2 nights ago with de-chlorine solution, and pre-heated, PH @ 6.8), the discus starts darken its skin, then a tiny white spot appear on the top fin (the one near the head), then slowly enlarge, the discus starts shaking its body. few minutes later, another white spot appears (the one near the tail), this one is even weird, it starts and enlarge and dissolve the fin at the speed almost u can see, as u can see from the photo, part of the fin is almost rotten. other discuses tend to surround it and like to eat those white stain by pecking the white areas, the victim keep shaking its body, looks very pittyful.

i already had 2 discuses dead yesterday due to the same reason, please tell me what are these all about, and how to tackle it and how to prevent it. will this infect other fishes? your help is appreciated.

some background info about my tank and fish:
44 gallon tank, 7 discuses (2 inches and 4 inches), 15 neon tectra, 2 bristle nose, temperature 29-30 degree, ph 6.8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0. 25% water change twice a week with aged water. feed them with blood worm, beef heart, bryne shrimp, dry food, high protein food twice a month, de-worm tablet with bryne shrimp twice a week.

any opinions are welcome.

rgds
Ken