PDA

View Full Version : How to clean cat litter containers for water?

sublevel007
08-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Just a question. My buddy set up our r/o unit at his house. I have several empty kitty litter containers at my house. I was wondering how you clean them. I know they can be used because when I go to the auctions around here people are always bringing their fish in them. The next auction isn't for another month or so and I do not want to wait that long to figure it out. Please help!!

AmberC
08-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Probably like a bleach solution.. rinsed really well after..

Amber

dandestroy
08-22-2006, 04:23 PM
This is what I did for my 50 gal of concentrated Coka Cola and it worked fine

bleach solution 1/20 for 1 hr
than vinaiger for 1 hr
than sodium bicarbonate for 1 hr

rinse well between each.

kaceyo
08-22-2006, 05:45 PM
The brand I use is completely non-toxic clay so all I do is rinse it well and add fish. I save them for large fish that I don't like to put in bags. I didn't know it was a common way to move fish around, thought it was my idea till this thread came along, lol.

Kacey

Graham
08-22-2006, 07:12 PM
If it's just plain clumping kitty litter, then just give it a good rinse...it's not toxic. If it has prefumes then a major rinse is in order.

Regular clumping kitty litter is sodium bentonite and actually somewhat beneficial, but it can clog up filter etc.. Better quality litters are calcium bentonite/montmorillionite clay and are regularly added to ponds to bump up mineral levels. Do a search on Koi Clays. All grow out ponds in aquaculture are lined with calcium bentonite clay...high quality kitty litter

G

kaceyo
08-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Graham,
Thats interesting. Mine is both clumping and flushable but only says it's a clay blend. Do you know if small amounts could be used along with calcium and magnesium in remineralizing RO water or raising hardness in grow out water? I've also heard of clay being added to foods for some fish.
Kacey

sublevel007
08-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Wow guys thanks for the info. I'm gonna wash them out tonight

Graham
08-23-2006, 07:30 AM
Graham,
Thats interesting. Mine is both clumping and flushable but only says it's a clay blend. Do you know if small amounts could be used along with calcium and magnesium in remineralizing RO water or raising hardness in grow out water? I've also heard of clay being added to foods for some fish.
Kacey

Kacey I wouldn't use the kitty litter, they just may have too many ''additives'' in it. The sodiun bentonite will also clog filter much quicker that the calcium will

Pure Calcium bentonite, is easy to find, besides being marketed as ''koi clay'' it's used in things like wine making, food additives and foundries. I buy mine from a foundry and use it weekly in the pond. I've also added to the aquariums without any problems.

I add it to homemade paste foods also.......

In Ponds it's a great additive for trace elements...just remember that it will cloud the water for 24 hours or so

Just do an online search for koi clay or calcium bentonite clay, you'll come up with a ton of info on it's use

http://www.fototime.com/E791C850161D635/standard.jpg

kaceyo
08-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks Graham. Good info.

Kacey