PDA

View Full Version : HELP My Dog Met a Skunk This Morning...

poconogal
08-24-2006, 07:37 AM
The dog wanted to play, but I guess the skunk did not. Anybody know what to use to get rid of the smell? Luckily it was raining and his coat was wet, it seems to have diluted the smell some. Of course my husband let him come upstairs instead of keeping him in the basement! Well, he's back in the basement, we are at work and will have to face it when we get home. Yuck... :vomit:

Connie

RandalB
08-24-2006, 07:49 AM
I've always heard to bathe them in tomato juice it supposedly kills the smell....

RandalB

Tony_S
08-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Check this out...Prilly is our resident dog expert.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=51727

Tony

Timbo
08-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Skunk Smell Remover:
1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup Baking Soda
2 tablespoons dish detergent.
Mix the ingredients in a large bowl (it will boil up like Vesuvius). Wash the dog with this mix while it is still foaming. It is the oxygen which reacts with the thiols in the skunk stink to neutralize the odor. If it sits around, it will loose it's efficacy because the oxygen boils off. Don't try to store it in an airtight container, it will blow up. The brew also works for clothes, humans and unlucky cats.

poconogal
08-24-2006, 08:21 AM
I've always heard to bathe them in tomato juice it supposedly kills the smell....

RandalB
I've always heard that too, but I have a WHITE german sheperd, so tomato juice might not be a good choice for me to use :D I can just see him now, an ORANGE german sheperd!

Connie

poconogal
08-24-2006, 08:29 AM
Check this out...Prilly is our resident dog expert.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=51727

Tony
Thanks Tony. I didn't think there'd be a thread for skunk smell. Boy, there seems to be a thread for everything on Simply. LOL.

Now I'm worried because someone posted that the smell can get lodged in Aqua Clear sponges and I have ACs. Since my other half let the dog upstairs and that is where my tanks are, grrrrrr! Do you think it poses any danger to the fish?

Connie

poconogal
08-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Skunk Smell Remover:
1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup Baking Soda
2 tablespoons dish detergent.
Mix the ingredients in a large bowl (it will boil up like Vesuvius). Wash the dog with this mix while it is still foaming. It is the oxygen which reacts with the thiols in the skunk stink to neutralize the odor. If it sits around, it will loose it's efficacy because the oxygen boils off. Don't try to store it in an airtight container, it will blow up. The brew also works for clothes, humans and unlucky cats.
Thanks, Timbo. Looks like lots of people use this concoction. I'm going to try it tonight.

Connie

AmberC
08-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Yikes! lol Sounds like fun! NOT. Good luck getting the smell out! Never had to deal with that myself (knock on wood!)

Amber