PDA

View Full Version : Purigen

Roer
08-25-2006, 05:52 AM
Hi

Does anyone have expirience with the product "Purigen" in a Discus aquarium ? How does it work and is it any good ?

poconogal
08-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi

Does anyone have expirience with the product "Purigen" in a Discus aquarium ? How does it work and is it any good ?
I've started using it. I love it and it seems the Discus "love" it too. If you decide to use it, though, be sure to get a 250 micron filter bag, not 300 like Seachem recommends. Media still comes thru the 300 a little. Also, certain water conditioners can't be used with it because it interferes with the regeneration process of Purigen. One of them is Aquarium Pharm's Stress Coat.

Connie

sleonard
08-25-2006, 06:33 PM
If you saw my previous thread you know that I seem to be experiencing some groundwater contamination and have a lot of nitrates coming out of the tap. My Discus have been very unhappy and I've been wondering what the heck to do until my water supply is fixed. After seeing Purigen mentioned I checked it out and claims to remove nitrate as well as ammonia, nitrite, and some DOC's as well so I got some at the LFS today and will put it in my filters tonight. We'll see how good it works over the next week or so.

Scott

sleonard
08-26-2006, 01:19 AM
Also, I assume Purigen removes meds like carbon does but the documentation says nothing about it. Anybody know?

Scott

poconogal
08-26-2006, 07:19 AM
Also, I assume Purigen removes meds like carbon does but the documentation says nothing about it. Anybody know?

Scott
Scott, I contacted Seachem to ask that very question. They said that it will remove a few meds, but most meds will not be removed. The customer service guy did mention what it will remove, but I don't remember what it was, it certainly was not a long list, though. Since I use Purigen, if I need to medicate, I'll remove the Purigen, and when I need to remove the med, I'll still use carbon, then put the Purigen back in.

Connie

Naja002
11-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Also, certain water conditioners can't be used with it because it interferes with the regeneration process of Purigen. One of them is Aquarium Pharm's Stress Coat.

Sorry, but that is incorrect. You can use whatever water conditioner you choose---Except during the Purigen Rengeneration process.

Seachem:

It is fine to use your water conditioner with Purigen in the aquarium. The problem occurs in the regeneration process. If an amine based polymer is used during the dechlorination process than you will form chloramine. These can be deadly to your aquarium. To be safe I would use Prime in the regeneration process unless you know that your water conditioner does not have an amine based polymer.

The Reason Why:

Let me explain how it forms chloramines and maybe that will help you better understand. During the regeneration process you soak the Purigen in a 50-50 solution of water-bleach. After that stage is done you soak it in a dechlorinator, to remove the chlorine from bleach. If you add an amine based polymer at this stage it will combine to for chloramine. Chloramine is a bond between chlorine and amine.

So you are correct in your aquarium you can use anything, just not in the regeneration process.

Seachem Forums--Posts 2 & 4 (http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=196)

HTH

lhforbes12
11-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Sorry, but that is incorrect. You can use whatever water conditioner you choose---Except during the Purigen Rengeneration process.

Seachem:

The Reason Why:

Seachem Forums--Posts 2 & 4 (http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=196)

HTH

Actually Connie IS correct. This is from the Purigen FAQ which is located here: http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Purigen_faq.html

Q:On some of the Purigen™ documentation I have read it says that some slime coat products can contaminate Purigen™ and render it toxic. Can you identify these products ?
A: Only certain slime coat products will cause Purigen™ to become toxic; the products that do this are amine based. Prime™ and Safe™ are not amine based and so will not cause this problem. If you're curious, what happens is that the amine compounds can strongly bind to the resin, then when they (the amines) come into contact with any chlorine they will form chloramines which are highly toxic. We offer a stress coat product, StressGuard™, which is not amine based and so can be used in conjunction with Purigen.™

Naja002
11-29-2006, 02:45 AM
Correct, except that's Only During the Regeneration Process.

Seachem has Clarified it. Just do the research. The link I provided Clarifies it and spells it out. The question has already been asked, answered and Clarified: Its only During the regeneration process. Follow the Link I already Provided.

HTH

poconogal
11-29-2006, 10:14 AM

Seachem has Clarified it. Just do the research. The link I provided Clarifies it and spells it out. The question has already been asked, answered and Clarified: Its only During the regeneration process. Follow the Link I already Provided.

HTH

Hi. What I said was Also, certain water conditioners can't be used with it because it interferes with the regeneration process of Purigen. One of them is Aquarium Pharm's Stress Coat. If someone does not want to regenerate Purigen, then you can use Stress Coat or whatever other water conditioner in your tank. While it is in your filter, there is no problem with using certain products and no effect on the Purigen. But, if someone wants to regenerate Purigen, do not use those water conditioners that will interfere with the regeneration process by rendering it unusable. Seachem's answer does not mean that you can use whatever you want in your tank, just do not use it during regeneration, because if you've been using it in your tank, it is already in and on the Purigen. I've already spoke with their techs and was advised NEVER to use these products, for this very reason.

Naja002
11-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Other than Discontinuing the Use of Purigen: WHY would anyone NOT want to regenerate it? That makes no sense.

What I quoted is Clear, and I'm not going around in Circles over it. You can use whatever water conditioner You want during routine maintenance for the aquarium. Its is only during rengeneration that amine based water conditioners should not be used.

It is fine to use your water conditioner with Purigen in the aquarium.

How much Clearer does it need to be? Call the tech back and ask the specific questions to get the right answers. If they stick by what You say--then ask them why Seachem is giving out conflicting information.

Here is a Link to a thread at APC on the Seachem board where I specifically ask them about 2 conflicting answers about letting Purigen dry out-No Response from Seachem Yet:

APC-Seachem-Purigen Dried Out (http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/seachem/33164-purigen-dried-out.html)

If what I quoted and Linked to above on the Seachem Forums is incorrect--then that's something we all need to know. But what I quoted and linked to is: Crystal Clear. Again:

It is fine to use your water conditioner with Purigen in the aquarium.

To be safe I would use Prime in (=During) the regeneration process unless you know that your water conditioner does not have an amine based polymer.

Seachem's answer does not mean that you can use whatever you want in your tank, just do not use it during regeneration, because if you've been using it in your tank, it is already in and on the Purigen.

Sorry, but that is absolutely wrong according to Seachem which I quoted above. You have it confused. You would be correct--IF--You keep Chlorine in your tank. Read "The Reason Why" that I quoted above. Here's the pertinent part:

If you add an amine based polymer at this stage it will combine to for chloramine.

"at this stage"=Rengeneration (when there is Chlorine), not routine maintenance (when there is NO Chlorine).

Again, Spelled out under "The Reason Why" above:

So you are correct in your aquarium you can use anything, just not in the regeneration process.

That's Not MY response--that's Seachem's. [B]Actually Read the thread. Click the link, Go there and Read it. It doesn't get any Clearer than That.

Clarify it with Seachem. Ask the Right Questions.

White Worm
11-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Why not just use prime and avoid any problems? See how easy that was? I think you are all saying the same thing but just in different words.
Tech guy even agrees..."To be safe I would use Prime in the regeneration process unless you know that your water conditioner does not have an amine based polymer." :D

Naja002
11-29-2006, 02:29 PM
I do use Prime and I have used it long before using Purigen. So, for me Personally--its all a moot point. But I have frequented messageboards/Forums for many yrs now on many subjects and: Bad Information is Bad Information. Do You enjoy wasting YOUR time collecting Bad Information? I don't. I would guess that you spend Your time hoping to gain some actual benefit from it--not wasting it with the collection of Bad Information.

Its not about me or poconogal--its simply about what is the truth. If seachem has given out conflicting responses--then it needs to be sorted out, so we all know what is correct. I know what Seachem posted on their own forums for the world to see. I don't know what exchange occurred during a telephone conversation between poconogal and Tech Support. Maybe she got the Flunky of the Week...? Who Knows?

I understand Poconogal's logic, and according to Seachem--its incorrect. And No, we are Not saying the same thing.

My initial and continued posting to this thread is simply about safegaurding "Others" that come along and read incorrect info--that's all. Because oftentimes--I AM one of those "Others" lurking around. Its just a way of giving back. The information offered is more than enough for the average person, so If You or Poconogal--or anybody else wants to reject what is stated by Seachem--that's YOUR choice. If You want to Cop-Out by saying "Just use Prime"--that's Cool. Whatever YOU want to do for YOU is Good by Me.

The Information is now available--do with it as You see fit.......:D

HTH

White Worm
11-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Sheesh. I'm thinking maybe you missed it when I said everyone was trying to say the same thing (its called agreeing)? Everyone here has read the seachem site and how can you say it is a cop out when following the advice from the exact site you seem to hold as gospel? Has anyone ever mentioned that you repeat things, repeat things, repeat things.....oh sorry....got stuck there :D

Naja002
11-29-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm thinking maybe you missed it when I said everyone was trying to say the same thing (its called agreeing)?

And No, we are Not saying the same thing.

I missed it? Com'on, Mike--Give me a Break......:D

poconogal
11-29-2006, 05:34 PM
I understand Poconogal's logic, and according to Seachem--its incorrect.
Not according to my logic, but according to Seachem's techs, it is CORRECT. What I have stated is what I was told when I called them. Let me ask you this - when you use something in your tank water, where do you suppose it goes? Do you think it would not enter your filter material? Do you suppose that, let's say Stress Coat, would just magically bypass the Purigen and not coat it or be absorbed by it?

BTW, I don't regenerate. To me its cheap enough that I don't bother.

poconogal
11-29-2006, 06:01 PM
Just got off the phone with SeaChem, yet again. The tech there has stated to me: Do not use any amine based product in your tank if you wish to regenerate Purigen. It will render Purigen unregenerable and if you attempt to regenerate, because the amines bind to the resins, when you place the Purigen in chlorine bleach, you will then make the Purigen toxic.

Also, again from their website:

Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen™ and render regeneration difficult.

Only certain slime coat products will cause Purigen™ to become toxic; the products that do this are amine based. Prime™ and Safe™ are not amine based and so will not cause this problem. If you're curious, what happens is that the amine compounds can strongly bind to the resin, then when they (the amines) come into contact with any chlorine they will form chloramines which are highly toxic. We offer a stress coat product, StressGuard™, which is not amine based and so can be used in conjunction with Purigen.™

Q: Does AP Stress Coat foul/ruin your Purigen product?
A: If they use an amine based polymer it will not foul the resin but will render it non-regenerable. What amine based polymers will do is bond not just to Purigen but to any organic scavenging resin as well as any ion exchange resin and when you attempt to regenerate the resin they will then bond with the chlorine to form chloramine which can be released into the aquarium. This is not just an issue with Purigen but with all resins being sold in the pet trade. The problem only occurs when one attempts to regenerate the resin, there is no problem unless you wish to regenerate the resin you are using.

Also, note that it does say "Slime Coat Products" in the above language from the SeaChem site. I don't know of anyone who would use a SLIME COAT PRODUCT while regenerating a resin.

White Worm
11-29-2006, 06:19 PM
I do use Prime and I have used it long before using Purigen. So, for me Personally--its all a moot point. Do You enjoy wasting YOUR time collecting Bad Information? I don't. I would guess that you spend Your time hoping to gain some actual benefit from it--not wasting it with the collection of Bad Information.
By the info provided, it is a moot point so why continue? Its crystal clear.

--its simply about what is the truth. Maybe she got the Flunky of the Week...? Who Knows?
Maybe the same flunky answered some of your questions?

I understand Poconogal's logic, and according to Seachem--its incorrect. And No, we are Not saying the same thing.
As far as I can see, she just worded it slightly different but it is pretty clear when you read the information from the site.

so If You or Poconogal--or anybody else wants to reject what is stated by Seachem--that's YOUR choice.
Where did anyone reject info from the site?

If You want to Cop-Out by saying "Just use Prime"--that's Cool. Whatever YOU want to do for YOU is Good by Me.
We are just using the advice you gave from the source you provided. Whats wrong with taking the safest route as spelled out by tech's at seachem? Now you dont have to worry.

The Information is now available--do with it as You see fit
Thats the wonderful part of this world we live in. We can give advice and anyone can choose to follow or not with the information provided. At least you dont have to pay for it....although.....I think some on here should be paid for the level of experience and knowledge that they bring to this forum :D

Naja002
11-29-2006, 06:39 PM
Mike, learn how to Read.

poconogal--Great! Another Phone Call. Have them Correct their website, so that nobody has to take Your Word on anything. poconogal V. Seachem on Seachem Products--I'll take Seachem every time. Technically, what you quoted doesn't distinguish, what I quoted specifically does and is not just limited to slime coat products--its any amine based products.

BTW, I don't regenerate. To me its cheap enough that I don't bother.

According to Seachem Purigen is Good for at least 5-6 regenerations. So, by not regenerating you are actually paying 5-6X more for it--:D --Yep, time for me to move on......

Enjoy!

White Worm
11-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Because oftentimes--I AM one of those "Others" lurking around.
HTH

Mike, learn how to Read.
Ok, but only if you take your 7 negative posts and return to lurking.

poconogal--Great! Another Phone Call. Have them Correct their website, so that nobody has to take Your Word on anything. poconogal V. Seachem on Seachem Products--I'll take Seachem every time. Technically, what you quoted doesn't distinguish, what I quoted specifically does and is not just limited to slime coat products--its any amine based products.
Ahhh, what do they know? Connie, I'll take you over some stupid chemical manufacturer, lol.

--Yep, time for me to move on......

Enjoy!
Uh....yeah...Buh Bye :D

Naja002
11-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Sorry Mike, No Deal.

Regeneration Only:

Thread 1 (http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=196)

Thread 2 (http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=267&highlight=purigen)

Thread 3 (http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=254&highlight=purigen)

Thread 4 (http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=248&highlight=purigen)

Thread 5 (http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=199&highlight=purigen)

Thread 6 (http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=151&highlight=purigen)

In-Bewteen, Possibly Conflicting:

Thread 1 (http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/seachem/14314-stresscoat.html?highlight=purigen)

Thread 2 (http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/seachem/10800-questions-about-purigen.html?highlight=purigen)

Take it for what its worth.......

White Worm
11-29-2006, 08:21 PM
--Yep, time for me to move on......

Enjoy!
Ahhh man...what happened?.... I thought for sure we could take your word and you were moving on. Do you notice that noone really cares now and its not worth much? You are beating a dead horse. Wish I had a site to refer you to so you could understand, but I dont, sorry. Just take your own advice and press on. Life is too short for you to elevate your blood pressure over this :D

traco
11-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Kay, guys, we're losing track of the initial post.:)

poconogal
11-29-2006, 11:00 PM
According to Seachem Purigen is Good for at least 5-6 regenerations. So, by not regenerating you are actually paying 5-6X more for it--:D --Yep, time for me to move on......

Enjoy!

Well, good thing that I have the money to buy new Purigen. I guess you're on a tighter budget, tsk.

poconogal
11-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Mike, learn how to Read.

Enjoy!
Technically, what I quoted does distinguish. I quoted language from SeaChem's website. I think its you who should have them correct their website, since you seem to like to twist what they have written to your very own, very imaginative interpretation.

If anion based products bind to the resins, and you put an anion based product in your tank water, it will go thru your filter... and guess what... it will bind to the resins in your Purigen while it is in your filter. Like I said before, its not going to magically reroute itself around the Purigen. Oh, but you must have a special type of filter. Anion based products reroute around your Purigen. Of course, that must also hold true for any organics in your tank as well. Oh, but maybe you don't even have fish, so no organics, no worries! LOL.

Timbo
11-30-2006, 01:27 AM
Well, good thing that I have the money to buy new Purigen. I guess you're on a tighter budget, tsk.

cheap shot there connie, tsk

Tony_S
11-30-2006, 06:44 AM
Kay, guys, we're losing track of the initial post.:)

Ya THINK??:p

Roer...

My first question for you, is why do you think you need this product in your filter?
I can think of very few instances where this product, or others like it are necessary, Scotts may be one of them. A temporary fix for some temporary incoming water problems....even then I'm not sure I'm convinced.

Tony

poconogal
11-30-2006, 09:53 AM
cheap shot there connie, tsk

Yep. Thanks!

raglanroad
11-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Sorry Mike, No Deal.

Regeneration Only:

Thread 1 (http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=196)

Thread 2 (http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=267&highlight=purigen)

Thread 3 (http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=254&highlight=purigen)

Thread 4 (http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=248&highlight=purigen)

Thread 5 (http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=199&highlight=purigen)

Thread 6 (http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=151&highlight=purigen)

In-Bewteen, Possibly Conflicting:

Thread 1 (http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/seachem/14314-stresscoat.html?highlight=purigen)

Thread 2 (http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/seachem/10800-questions-about-purigen.html?highlight=purigen)

Take it for what its worth.......

Ok, I was sitting on the fence about this, seeing that both parties seemed to present some reasonable logic for parts of their arguments at minimum.

However, the weight has obviously shifted to show that you have proved your case, as evidenced by the very first link first question on the faq. You very clearly demonstrated your commiitment to showing facts rather than merely smearing the opponent as the gang is attempting to do to you.

When you proved beyond doubt that your assertions are totally correct; that Seachem has made possibly, or rather apparently, conflicting statements, and also that the particular statements you claimed are indeed found in the Seachem forum records, you are obviously not wanted by the gang memebership here.
May I suggest you do not comply with their wishes ?
I admire your diligence in showing fact, and resisting the gang's taunts. Obviously, some will pretend to be neutral and ask you to behave, that we do not need to argue the point ( when shown to be in error ), and others will marginalize you, saying "we" do not really pay attetntion to the likes of you...

.... and others will smear your financial capabilities for going with regenerating purigen, when in fact it was a main topic of the thread : (

White Worm
11-30-2006, 12:41 PM
and...others will come in and play the almighty one

raglanroad
11-30-2006, 12:59 PM
touched a nerve there I guess.

raglanroad
11-30-2006, 01:05 PM
despicably attempting group dynamics tactics :
much like tribalism or gang membership, attempting to force the poster into a marginilized position, attempting to drive him away when he has shown himself quite positively to be correct.

raglanroad
11-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Have you been recieving hate message PM's from any of these people, Sir ?

Though I have never once PM'd them, two of them ( Connie and Graham) have sent me hate PM's, all being forwarded to Al.
You know you got the gang bangers by proving the truth, when you have a small but select following of hate groupies!

Polar_Bear
11-30-2006, 01:19 PM
despicably attempting group dynamics tactics :
much like tribalism or gang membership, attempting to force the poster into a marginilized position, attempting to drive him away when he has shown himself quite positively to be correct.

Dave,
From my view point it is quite obviously INcorrect, and simply reading the FAQ carefully will bear me me out. However I do agree that ganging up on a poster is less than desirable.

raglanroad
11-30-2006, 01:23 PM
Dave,
From my view point it is quite obviously INcorrect, and simply reading the FAQ carefully will bear me me out. However I do agree that ganging up on a poster is less than desirable.Polar Bear, that is the main point, regardless of who is right.
I will go and copy out the sections proving he was correct on what he claims Seachem has said .

White Worm
11-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Yeah, thats what we need rag, someone copying the already copied that was copied just to show us and make us read what we already read that someone stated as fact or truth to prove another person untruthful so someone else can come in and copy it again. Great! Lead on. Look who's bucket-o-nerves were touched. You sound like a little kid who is telling on his big brother that has access to a thesaurus. As entertaining as you are, dont try and make yourself sound like some genius with fancy speech...its called fluff.
gang member ----------> :bandana:

raglanroad
11-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Certified Seachem Forum Moderator written on 01-24-06 15:51

so you are correct, in your aquarium you can use anything, just not in the regeneration process.

this is from link number one on regeneration, followup to FAQ question number one.

brewmaster15
11-30-2006, 01:44 PM
All,
I don't know exactly what is going on here and in other threads but I am seeing something that Is not going to lead to anything other than headaches for all involved.

What I see is disagreeing points of view, expressed poorly and in a deliberately antagonistic fashion. Whats started out as disgreements though is now spiraling into an all out personal attack and counter attack....I am seeing arguements and vendettas carried across threads..Threads have been locked already and others will follow. This is not productive and does nothing to promote healthy discussions.

I think in the 3 weeks we were shut down some have forgotten what this forum asks of its members.....

In a nutshell I would like to remind you all to disagree on a topic but discuss it in civil fashion, and by all means stand your ground if you feel your are right...but at no point should things become a personal attack based on a difference of opinion or Interpreted facts.

I think all involved need to take a step back and examine how they are presenting themselves to the forum....and perhaps try to tone it down and be more respective of each other.

I am availible if anyone wants to talk with me about this issue, but I have to be honest...I shouldn't have to... as Adults we should be able to deal with one another in a civil fashion , even when we disagree.

Thanks in advance,
al

please think of this as a warning everyone, I am nicely asking everyone to calm down.

poconogal
11-30-2006, 02:32 PM
.... and others will smear your financial capabilities for going with regenerating purigen, when in fact it was a main topic of the thread : (

Of course, the fact that I choose not to regenerate and was given an UNASKED FOR financial "lesson" does not play into the mix.

Polar_Bear
11-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Certified Seachem Forum Moderator written on 01-24-06 15:51

this is from link number one on regeneration, followup to FAQ question number one.

Dave,
I think what amazes me most is that you and Naja102 and what you are failing to understand is that you are both taking as Gospel what one tech said, which is diametrically opposed to everything else that Seachem has to say.
http://seachem.com/products/product_pages/Purigen.html
http://seachem.com/support/FAQs/Purigen_faq.html

Even the Purigen bottle says this ""Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen and render regeneration difficult".
Also Naja replied to my post this way "Re: Purigen

HTH

Last edited by Naja002 : Yesterday at 12:47 AM.
]and as you can see it has been edited by him, the original was far more nasty. The fact is that using Amine based products with Purigen is NOT recommended by Seachem. Do I trust what the company says over one of it's reperesentitives? YES

The other question I need to ask you both is "Why in hell would anyone use an amine product to regenerate Purigen?" That part doesn't even make sense.

raglanroad
11-30-2006, 03:20 PM
PB, I point out that he was correct to say that Seachem had given out the information he says it did.
His critique of Seachem is also fair enough. Do you think it not probable that Seachem is responsible for quite a few customers' loss of use of the product due to following the advice?
Possible loss of fish ?

As to your question about why anyone would use a product that is contra-indicated; apart from any misinformation Seachem gave out that people may have acted upon, I have no data as to why anyone would use a contra-indicated combination

Though I don't use purigen, I have in the past purchased a very big bottle of Stress Coat, and used it until I saw, increasingly, that the fish seemed not to be comfortable with it in the water. So people maybe inclined to use up large purchases.. not my problem on this one.

I don't think anyone is pushing for the use of amine products with purigen tho : ) do you think so ?

Polar_Bear
11-30-2006, 03:30 PM
PB, I point out that he was correct to say that Seachem had given out the information he says it did.
His critique of Seachem is also fair enough. Do you think it not probable that Seachem is responsible for quite a few customers' loss of use of the product due to following the advice?
Possible loss of fish ?

Dave,
Yes I do agree with you, which is why I pursured this post. What I don't agree with is that using amine based products during regeneration ONLY makes any sense. Mainly because who would use them for regeneration in the first place? They certainly are not listed as regeneration agents for Purigen. This is also why I believe the tech's advice is in error. As I understand it, amine based products clog the Purigen media, and since you regenerate using chlorine bleach, the by profduct produced by Purigen and the chlorine is Cloramine. We all know chloramine is quite deadly. If you are using an amine product in your aquaria does it just magically disappear during regeneration? I certainly don't see how it possibly could. So, to me at least, the real answer is the one given most often by Seachem "don't use amine based products while using purigen".

Larry

White Worm
11-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Like Prime.
edit, I mean prime would be the one to use.

raglanroad
11-30-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm very much inclined to agree that the amine based products are not indicated to be used in any fashion with purigen, especially over a product that is shown to be complementary with purigen : )

Polar_Bear
11-30-2006, 03:45 PM
To my knowledge Prime contains no amines, and it is recommended for use with Purigen by Seachem.

From Seachem Purigen FAQ;

Q:On some of the Purigen™ documentation I have read it says that some slime coat products can contaminate Purigen™ and render it toxic. Can you identify these products ?
A: Only certain slime coat products will cause Purigen™ to become toxic; the products that do this are amine based. Prime™ and Safe™ are not amine based and so will not cause this problem. If you're curious, what happens is that the amine compounds can strongly bind to the resin, then when they (the amines) come into contact with any chlorine they will form chloramines which are highly toxic. We offer a stress coat product, StressGuard™, which is not amine based and so can be used in conjunction with Purigen.™

White Worm
11-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Yep. edited my previous post. should have clarified my response.

raglanroad
11-30-2006, 03:51 PM
correct of course

raglanroad
11-30-2006, 04:00 PM
I think Sechem bears a deal of the responsibility for all confusion arising from their staff postings.
This because even now we take company word as correct for our purposes.
Therefore confusion is possible when any party correctly cites the authority all are accepting, and the citing supports the claims.

Other than that, all is ego and history.

thanks Larry !

Polar_Bear
11-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Ya THINK??:p

Roer...

My first question for you, is why do you think you need this product in your filter?
I can think of very few instances where this product, or others like it are necessary, Scotts may be one of them. A temporary fix for some temporary incoming water problems....even then I'm not sure I'm convinced.

Tony

Tony I meant to reply to this previously but forgot. In my case I am using it on the 125, which although heavily planted, is also over stocked. I was doing 70% + wc's every other day on this tank to keep its inhabitants happy. I tried the Purigen in hopes that I could lessen the wc schedule. I am now in week 2 of using Purigen on this tank and have only done one 75% wc on it (I am trying to see if I can do one 75% wc a week) so far it seems to be working well. As you know, my fish are used to frequent and large water changes. So far they show no stress at all in this tank, and are eating well. I doubt that I'll stick to this routine, I'm just not comfortable enough doing only one wc a week. But it does seem to be working well so far, at least in this tank.

Naja002
11-30-2006, 05:40 PM

HTH

Last edited by Naja002 : Yesterday at 12:47 AM.
]and as you can see it has been edited by him, the original was far more nasty.

Pertinent Part:

and as you can see it has been edited by him, the original was far more nasty.

WoW! You are an Out-right Liar. Check the Books. That post was made at Yesterday 1:45pm and the Edit was COMPLETED at Yesterday 1:47pm. 2 minutes. "...The original was far more nasty"--is an out-right lie. What IS posted IS the original +/- a spelling error or grammar error. Many of my posts are "Edited" for the exact same reason. You are a Fool and a Liar. You fit in well with raglands description of and the behavior of many of the others here. Sad, but apparently the Admin here understands how things work here.

Bottom-line:

Also, certain water conditioners can't be used with it because it interferes with the regeneration process of Purigen. One of them is Aquarium Pharm's Stress Coat.

Incorrect.

The customer service guy did mention what it will remove,

Who are you calling? Tech Support or "Customer Service"? Yeah, right!

But, if someone wants to regenerate Purigen, do not use those water conditioners that will interfere with the regeneration process by rendering it unusable.

Incorrect. May lose some functionality and/or "Lifespan", but it does not render it "unusable" or incapable of being regenerated..

Just got off the phone with SeaChem, yet again. The tech there has stated to me:Do not use any amine based product in your tank if you wish to regenerate Purigen. It will render Purigen unregenerable and if you attempt to regenerate, because the amines bind to the resins, when you place the Purigen in chlorine bleach, you will then make the Purigen toxic.

Yes, I don't doubt that Customer Service told You that. But I doubt Tech Support told You that.

Yes, we all know that "Legal Secretaries" Rake in the BIG Bucks! LoL I'd say it has more to do with ability as opposed "ability"--lot easier just to buy new, huh, Hun?

So, Here is Your Answer:

Seachem-Conflicting answers from Tech Support.....? (http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=393)

Purigen can be regenerated after using amine-based polymers in the tank for routine maintenance. So You are Wrong. And Your Absolute statements like "NEVER" are absolutely Wrong.

Best Advice: Discontinue use of the Amine-based polymer "for a few days" or "(perhaps a week or two but this will vary depending on the polymer)" before regenerating the Purigen.

Either way--You're Wrong, and Polarboy is an out-right liar. Check the Books. What a shmuck.

Have A Good Day.

raglanroad
11-30-2006, 05:51 PM
I also had reservations about how toxic the chloramine was going to be, if that was the big concern. There seemed to be empahasis on it gooping up the surface, but then the concern was for toxicity, not efficacy.

Nevertheless, I think we can say that there is a clear problem with Seachem's system of producing information and that we can attribute much confusion to their "help".

But we can settle down perhaps and really go throught the information if we do as Al has recommended.....lots of things were said and I don't think you have a chance of following up on anything before lock down..can we roll it back and proceed as if Seachem was the seed of discontent, and leave it at that ? Trust me, having recieved more hate letters from this bunch today, I know how you are feeling.

Naja002
11-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Me? Sure. I'm done with this post. I've proved my point. Now the Fools and liars can buzz around the hive by themselves.

Like I said:

Have a Good Day.

BTW, raglanroad--Thanx for doing the right thing.

raglanroad
11-30-2006, 06:11 PM
it's nothing. I'm considering buying some purigen : ) lots of people reporting good things about it. This poor boy will be regenerating it.

poconogal
11-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Pertinent Part:

WoW! You are an Out-right Liar. Check the Books. That post was made at Yesterday 1:45pm and the Edit was COMPLETED at Yesterday 1:47pm. 2 minutes. "...The original was far more nasty"--is an out-right lie. What IS posted IS the original +/- a spelling error or grammar error. Many of my posts are "Edited" for the exact same reason. You are a Fool and a Liar. You fit in well with raglands description of and the behavior of many of the others here. Sad, but apparently the Admin here understands how things work here.

Bottom-line:

Incorrect.

Who are you calling? Tech Support or "Customer Service"? Yeah, right!

Incorrect. May lose some functionality and/or "Lifespan", but it does not render it "unusable" or incapable of being regenerated..

Yes, I don't doubt that Customer Service told You that. But I doubt Tech Support told You that.

Yes, we all know that "Legal Secretaries" Rake in the BIG Bucks! LoL I'd say it has more to do with ability as opposed "ability"--lot easier just to buy new, huh, Hun?

So, Here is Your Answer:

Seachem-Conflicting answers from Tech Support.....? (http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=393)

Purigen can be regenerated after using amine-based polymers in the tank for routine maintenance. So You are Wrong. And Your Absolute statements like "NEVER" are absolutely Wrong.

Best Advice: Discontinue use of the Amine-based polymer "for a few days" or "(perhaps a week or two but this will vary depending on the polymer)" before regenerating the Purigen.

Either way--You're Wrong, and Polarboy is an out-right liar. Check the Books. What a shmuck.

Have A Good Day.

Yep, legal secretaries do rake in BIG BUCKS, however I have no time to bother to try to regenerate, because I'm away from home for 16 hours a day. Maybe you'd like to take care of that for me? I can pay you so that you too can throw Purigen away. LOL. Hun! You do have the ABILITY to do that, don't you?

As for NEVER, that is what I was told by SeaChem TECH SUPORT, THREE TIMES, and you have a lot of nerve calling anyone a liar. Can't help what they have written. If you don't like what was posted and copied directly from their site, take it up with SeaChem.

Okay, Hun?

Now shoo fly.

Naja002
11-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Geewhiz, You make it so impossibly hard to resist.

As for NEVER, that is what I was told by SeaChem TECH SUPORT, THREE TIMES,

Yes, after talking with YOU on the phone--I guess it really wouldn't be a Big Surprise if they used the term: NEVER. As in "NEVER-EVER". Just Back slowly away from the Purigen, lady.....

You folks are just too easy.

Oooops! Look I edited my post! Beter (<--Missed spelling error) check the time frames.....

brewmaster15
11-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Why am I not surprised that this BS is still going on. Don't really know why I always try...people onlyu remember I locked it anyway.. okay...

This thread is locked.My personal notes are this could have been a very good informational discussion thread.

-al

btw..

Sad, but apparently the Admin here understands how things work here
what I understand is I asked EVERYONE Involved to tone it down.... I believe thats my perogative....sorry if you disagree or take issue with it.