View Full Version : URGENT HELP REQUIRED

steve.ryall
08-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Hey guys,

My 3.5 week old fry seem to be dieing. I am doing daily big water changes, making sure parameters are good, feeding BS & ZM and a bit of bloodworm too.
The fry seem to be lacking in enthusiasm to do anything swimming near or on the top of the water going belly up and breathing hard.
I have treated for gill flukes with Sterizin as per instructions...just not sure what is happening right now?

Any clues?

Steve

CAGE-RATTLER
08-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Wish i knew what to tell ya steve but havent a clue as im still waiting for my 1st fry.

Im sure some of the experts will chime in here quick enough.

If they are breathing rapidly at the top ......... maybe a couple air stones in the tank could help??

I'll be anxious to see what the experts have to say in case i run into the same situation down the road.

Maybe do a search on here to see if there are any simiolar threads while you wait ............. Hope everything turns out OK.

Mike C.
08-25-2006, 02:49 PM
I have had this problem many times, losing entire hatches. From my reading and experience, it is gill flukes. My last two spawns I have treated with PraziPro, which I bought on line, before the problem developed, at about dime size. I have brought both latest sets of fry to silver dollar size with no problem. It seems that there is this certain size and maturity during which the poor little guys die off, unable to breathe because of the flukes. I can't separate my w/c equipment for my adults from that of the fry so I think that is where the "inoculation" with flukes occurs.

Just my own observations and experience.

Kindredspirit
08-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Gosh Steve! I am sorry to hear this but I think that Beth had the same problem...apparently it isnt all that uncommon ~

Check it out as it may help!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=52611

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_2.gif

steve.ryall
08-25-2006, 03:14 PM
thanks for the input guys,
My setup includes 2 - 300ltr sponge filters, so Cage, I dont think its lack of oxygen...but I wont dismiss it.
Mike, I did treat for flukes with sterizin, cant get prazi-pro here in uk, I think.

I really dont want to loose too many more, but Mike I can see this might happen, I have heard about this '3 week syndrome' guess I have it too. Oh well I'll see what transpires.
Thanks
Steve

steve.ryall
08-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Thanks Marie,

Beth had loads of fry didn't she. I only had 26, now down to 16 at last count but a few more are looking dodgy, I hope a couple survive at least.

Steve

poconogal
08-25-2006, 03:31 PM
thanks for the input guys,
My setup includes 2 - 300ltr sponge filters, so Cage, I dont think its lack of oxygen...but I wont dismiss it.
Mike, I did treat for flukes with sterizin, cant get prazi-pro here in uk, I think.

I really dont want to loose too many more, but Mike I can see this might happen, I have heard about this '3 week syndrome' guess I have it too. Oh well I'll see what transpires.
Thanks
Steve
Aww, Steve. Sorry about your fry. I've read that Prazi Pro was restricted in the UK, but I wonder if you can get it shipped from the USA? Have you tried www.jehmco.com to see if they can ship it to you? They have Prazi Pro in powdered form. They do ship to Great Britain and they have an 800 number to call for orders or info. I know I've read that Prazi Pro is very good for flukes on fry.

Connie

steve.ryall
08-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks Connie,

Paul asked me the other day if i wanted to go halves with him for some Prazi-pro, but I am skint right now, so I said no, what a mistake!!

Steve

Alight
08-25-2006, 05:35 PM
Steve, could easily be gill flukes. Fry that size just seem to have a vulnerability. On the other hand, I've noticed that some fry just seem to pick that size to die for no reason, too. Maybe genetic problems? On the other hand, I've had entire large batches of fry grow through that stage, and on to being adults without a single loss, even with no gill fluke treatment.

I guess, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and sometimes its much more.

Good luck!

AADiscus
08-27-2006, 09:58 AM
How often are you cleaning your sponges in the tank? These have to be kept clean as well and the inside of the tank. Since we started rinsing our sponges DAILY we haven't had any problem with the fry getting flukes, etc. Also, what temp are they at?

steve.ryall
08-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Angela,
I have been washing my sponges once a week, well , squeezing them out in tank water to get rid of any nasties, the tank temp is 28.8.
Today I only have 9 left.
I am doing at least 75% changes each day, and siphoning out any left over food.
Not sure what else to do?

Steve

cobaltblue
08-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Sorry to hear about losing some of your fry. Im just starting this journey. Hopefully will not lose too many as i only had 26 to start. Ive lost 3 so far in the last 3 days and another doesnt look good. At two weeks, is it too early to treat with prazi pro?? What dosage do you use for fry?? same as adults?

steve.ryall
08-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Chris,

Here in the UK we cannot get Prazi-pro, so it might be better if a US expert helps you out with that, I used Sterizin and followed the directions on the bottle

Steve

Amh 1
08-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Hi Steve
You can get prazi pro here in the Uk.....Francis of Chensdiscus has it!
Sorry to here about the young sounds like the usual 3&6wk syndrome
if you havve any wormer plus to hand try that with the sterizin(I find
personally that it's a little slow in combating what you are experienceing)
but on the plus side you'll be ready the next time....Sorry forgot to mention
treat with wormer plus for 3days consecutive....that worked for myself.
Best wishes
Alan

Tony_S
08-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Steve

The main issue could also be a secondary bacterial infection caused BY the flukes...I dont know if you want to try it this time around, since you have so few fry left....but for next time, have some Maracyn 2 on hand.

Tony

08-28-2006, 09:21 AM
I was going to say overcrowding but since you only had 26 that wasn't the problem. Perhaps you're feeding too much? Some batches just never do well, I'm not sure why

steve.ryall
08-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the support guys, I think next time round I will have everything under the sun to treat with......Alan, I'll look into Chensdiscus, do they have a website?

Steve

Amh 1
08-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Hi Steve
Here You go...www.chensdiscus.co.uk
Also has some great discus have a look at his galleries
Hope you get things sorted!
Best wishes
Alan