PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna sound stupid

swinters66
08-26-2006, 08:47 AM
But where else am I gonna learn right?

Last night I was super busy so I really didnt watch my discus eat their dinner like I normally do. I saw at least 3 of them picking the gravel, moving around, the usual. Well later on (few hours) I noticed one of my discus was still in the same spot, just sitting there. He looked normal, eyes, gill functions, etc, but I dont know if he even ate anything. Then my insomnia kicked in and it was about 4 am (I keep the lights on at night, they are off during the day for about 9 hours) and noticed none of my discus were out and about. All were sort of hiding behind the wood or in the corners. So, as scheduled, this morning I did a large WC. Larger than normal because their behavior just wasn't looking normal for me. I also had to clean out one of my filters..rinsed out the media (in the used tank water bucket) and cleaned some accumulated goop out of the actual filter. Then to be safe, I added a small amount of aquarium salt. The lights are off now so I havent checked on them. All the other fish in the tank were acting normal, swimming, active....

My question is...am I over-reacting on their behavior? If I have time today I am going to take some of the tank water to the lfs and have it checked. If not, tomorrow. I do WC's every other day, in the mornings. The water temps have been the same (roughly 87). Is that too high?

Is there anything I should watch for? I looked at them right after the water change and they had come out of their hiding spots and congregated together. They weren't gasping, & their eyes look normal. As usual, I just want to make sure they are ok and if there is anything else I should be doing for them overall.

Kindredspirit
08-26-2006, 09:08 AM
I so forgot your name:o You sound so much like me! I am not that bad anymore tho ~ not at all! Ya know all you can do is look for obvious signs of anything amiss* test your water parameters ...often if it makes you feel better:) and remember a sick discus won't eat ~

If they are looking sluggish do a wc ~ I honestly believe that if you do at least 50%wc daily things will be okay ~esp you have gravel right? I am not going to give you that speech as I know you probably know it ~ BUT some wld look directly at that if wc slack off as so much crap under all that ya know? It made me stop trippin so much and LOOKING for things to be wrong ~ but mine are all older now so....but the two babies are in a bb ~

As far as sounding dumb or stupid....I am no stranger to that make no mistake ~ you want to post something here? Do it! If someone doesnt like it they can skip it IMO! lol!

87 may be a tad high ~ I keep mine at 84-86....I actually kicked up the babies tank so they may eat more ~ Why did you add salt? Just incase? lol! Been there done that too! It will make them feel more comfortable IF something IS wrong...lol!

So ~ ENJOY THEM! When in doubt do a wc and come here!!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_2_104.gif

Graham
08-26-2006, 09:16 AM
The only thing that I would add to Marie's post is you should have your own test kits..pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, KH, GH and salinity

I would also reverse the lighting times. My lights are set to come on about12pm and shut down about 12am. Fish ahve a biological clock no different than we do. That's why they weren'y out and about at 4am

Graham

Kindredspirit
08-26-2006, 09:34 AM
I would also reverse the lighting times. My lights are set to come on about12pm and shut down about 12am. Fish ahve a biological clock no different than we do. That's why they weren'y out and about at 4am

Graham

I thought that too Graham but I was not sure:o Thanks!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

swinters66
08-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Ok I can do the light thing. We leave all the fish tank lights off all day since we are both at work all day...and get home right at dark. So, its hard for us to enjoy our tanks if we turn the lights off right when we get home you know? But I will give that a go....

I know I need my own test kit and plan on getting one. Right now I am still worried about the one discus. Now he's at the bottom of the tank, just sitting there. The others are in the plants...doing whatever it is they do when the lights are off and I'm at work.

Thanks guys for replying to me. I dont like being worried at 6 am over my fish :)

Oh Marie...lol my name is Stephanie.

Breadhead
08-26-2006, 09:48 AM
So just adjust your timers slightly... I do a simular thing... my 12/12 starts at noon.... giving me hrs of viewing pleasure before midnight when the tanks, and me, go to sleep.

But as advice to all the wc's... salt addition... etc...: Don't go crazy!!! Freaking them out with a drastic water change first thing in the morning and dosing the water is not a good idea IMHO. Watch them for a couple days and if you don't see some major physicological or psychological change in the fish... Leave Them Alone! :)

Timbo
08-26-2006, 09:56 AM
hi stephanie

the photoperiod on your tank can be adjusted to your lifestyle/work schedule no problem. they will adjust; there is really no need to follow anyone else's photoperiod (12pm ->12am is probably what suits graham's schedule but maybe not yours)

you can use a timer for the lights to come on and go off whenever suits you but about a 14-16 hr period of light would be about normal and it can happen at any time during the day. the only thing that may throw them off is if you have alot of ambient light from a window or such during the day but this can easily be remedied with curtains

Willie
08-26-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't think lighting makes the slight bit of difference. My lights are set for 4 - 6 am and 7 - 9 pm, when I'm in the fishroom.

Willie

swinters66
08-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Well I didnt go overboard with the salt. The box said 1 tbsp per 5 gallons...well I only put in 2 tbsp. Just a little. The tanks in the bedroom, away from the window...and the sun rises on that side of the house...so in the afternoon...the room is very dark.

Usually my wc's are small...about 10% every other morning, to clean the gravel. I add the same temp water (dont want to shock them with cold water). So, today I probably did a 25% wc. Its a 40 G tank.

So my tank schedule is:
WC every other morning
Alternate filter cleaning every 2 weeks (cleaning out sponges, cleaning goop etc I have 2 filters)
Get fed every night around 9pm (the tank lights are on about an hour before I feed them)

My water was the same when I had it tested. PH still at 7.8. Been that PH since I set the tank up and got the fish.