PDA

View Full Version : Dim Sum from two "strangers"

Kenny's Discus
08-27-2006, 08:38 AM
There were 2 STRANGERS:D knocking on my door yesterday and they brought me these...

I'm Chinese and they brought me Chinese food; can you believe it?:D (j/k) I wonder what's inside?

Kenny's Discus
08-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Hmm...beef with broccoli, yummy! Looking good!:p

Kenny's Discus
08-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Better yet it came with fried rice! :p

I forgot to thank these two STRANGERS for this so here it is:

THANK YOU both Tina and Marie! I was just joking there you 2 were no strangers to me. I had a wonderful time meeting you 2 fine ladies. When I get a chance in the near future I'll be paying you BACK a visit!

Again Thank You both for coming over yesterday. It was nice to finally meet you Marie!

Take care friends,
Kenny
ps: yes I did take pics of the "dim sum" didn't I? :D I guess my super photography skill showed even when I'm taking pics at Dim Sum! LOL
:D :D :D :D :D

crazie.eddie
08-27-2006, 08:48 AM
LOL

I was expecting some kind of new discus container.

But now you're getting me hungry for some dim sum. Love chicken feet. (I'm from the Philippines)

Squiggy
08-27-2006, 08:50 AM
:alien:

Do you never sleep? :D

coffee........need coffee......

Kenny's Discus
08-27-2006, 08:53 AM
LOL

But now you're getting me hungry for some dim sum. Love chicken feet. (I'm from the Philippines)

I hear you Eddie LOL; try to see if there're any "strangers" standing outside of your house as you might find some dim sum! You just might never know LOL...:D

Thanks,
Kenny

Kenny's Discus
08-27-2006, 08:59 AM
:alien:

Do you never sleep? :D

coffee........need coffee......

Who me Joe? No I don't need any sleep lol but I'm not dead, I just "looked" that way.:D

Kenny

Kindredspirit
08-27-2006, 09:00 AM
You nut Kenny!! We were wondering last night if you ate that!! Hey Since you opened this thread I shall continue it with 'our trip'....and some pics and whatnot but not now I am too tired!

Kenny did I tell you that Tina made me try Jellyfish? And...Octopus? OMG! I did not like that ~ at all ~ plus it was cold! We ate so much that I had to tell the woman to stop calling all the carts over! We rolled outta there!

We had a great time I have to say ~ Kenny is the sweetest man ever I swear ~ it was great to finally meet him! He really hooked us up quite nicely with lots of goodies:) Most of which are still in my car ~ save the fish and worms;)

I have four babies now guys ~ hella cool I will say! I so forget the name of the new one Kenny:o I am tired~

And ~ my daughter and her bf bought me a new tank...I so cannot believe it ~for my birthday ~ we went to 6th Ave Aquarium in the City and they always have a dollar a gal sale goin on! SO...I got a ..........55gal! Do not say a word ~ no one please!! Thank Goodness Paul is on Holiday;) And the stand we got at Petco for $45! This tank is like Kenny's in his fishroom ~ awesome!!

Kenny thanks!! Again ~ Tina is still sleeping no doubt:)

Pics later!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_14_21.gif

Tony_S
08-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Damn....I was expecting pictures of the 'strangers'...not the freakin rice they brought!

Tony :inquisitive:

Kenny's Discus
08-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Damn....I was expecting pictures of the 'strangers'...not the freakin rice they brought!

Tony :inquisitive:

:D Sry Tony, I promise to do better next time...

Kenny

Kindredspirit
08-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Kenny you are a trip!! You send me this link and I already posted and then I get here and Tony is whining over rice ~

I have pics but my camera is like far .....in the car or the kitchen.....and I am tired TONY! I have some great pics of Tina and Kenny ~ and my babies and the fish room~ Oh and being stuck on the Bay Bridge for an hour:mad:

I will work on it ~

Do a wc and come back VIPhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_1.gif

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_20.gif

Kindredspirit
08-27-2006, 09:14 AM
LOL

Chicken feet?? wow ~ I saw a jar of Pickled Pigs LIPS guys!! LIPS!!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_20.gif

Kenny's Discus
08-27-2006, 09:15 AM
You're most welcome Marie. I'm exhausted too myself because upon PP-ing/cleaning 5 of my upper tanks I moved all the fish in the 55g to those top tanks and WCs for the remaing 55gs...so yeah we'll talk later about this stranger thing lol.

Yeah I did ate the food you and Tina bought me(can I say otherwise:D j/k I did ate them all want me to take pics of the empty boxes?), again it was very nice of you 2 and I thank you again! Octopus is not that bad though right? It's 1 of my fav lol.

Chemist don't sleep in the morning so I'm sure Tina's still dreaming about us.:D Btw I got to get some sleep soon myself too or else not only will I look like dead I'll also smell like one.:D

Thanks,
Kenny

AmberC
08-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Mmmm... I am jealous Kenny! I LOVE fried rice! Especially doused in tabasco sauce!!! Yummy!

Sounds like you guys had fun :D
Amber

DISCUS USA
08-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Hey wheres the fortune cookies..lol..

heres a fortune for ya Kenny

He who eats strangers food is destined to end up in hospital getting stomach pumped..lol

just kidding.. man that food looks good right about now with some duck sauce wooo hooo id be a happy camper with a plate of that.. :)

Kindredspirit
08-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Kenny not to worry ~ my pictures are terrible of you guys! I forgot to change my settings on some of these too ~

I saw for the first time a Mom and her eggs! As you can see in the picture she is so big and pretty! I was like in awe! And she was so mellow she didn't mind the flash either ~ she kept like blowing on them? I am not sure what she was doing but it was purdy cool:) !

Then I saw fry on a discus too! Only a few but nonetheless I saw it in person!! It wasn't a picture ~

It was the first for me:o ~

I also saw the smallest discus ever! I think he was smaller than a dime! You can see the little bones and innards! Kenny's fish room is very peaceful and easy on the eyes ~ and totally relaxing! Other than almost breaking my neck three times ....( quite Kenny and Tina ) it was an awesome experience ~ And he had a very very comfortable chair too!

Took us an hour or more to get across the Bay Bridge ~ then Frank had to keep me awake after hitting SacTown and dropping off Tina ....then to my house .....

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_5637Small.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_5637Small.jpg

I got one of these and Tina too!
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_5648Small.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_5654Small.jpg

tpl*co
08-27-2006, 01:36 PM
LOL, I was telling Marie about the "feet" but none came by on the cart! LOL! (I don't think I would have ordered it though, my father made me eat duck's and chicken's feet when I was younger and I didn't like it much). Marie you're lucky though beef tripe didn't come by though ;) . Yes Kenny, octopus is one of my favorites too along with most of the shrimp filled ones ;) .

Next time Kenny you'll have to hop in the car and come with us to Dim Sum since the more the merrier (and the more plates we can get to try) ;)

I was MIA for a little while when Marie was getting the van to get her tank though, I slipped in a small restaurant next to the fish store to get more sweet bean paste buns to take home (another fav) ;)

Kenny, you have beautiful fish as always and I want to thank you very much for your hospitality and generousity. Marie, thanks for the ride and the tour of San Francisco, I haven't been in some of those areas since I was little since I don't like to drive in the City (freeways OK though). Something about cars coming at you from every direction in an intersection makes me nervous ;) (not to mention the battles for parking ;) ). LOL, and everything we got wouldn't have fit in MY CAR! LOL! Wish we had more time to sight see some more! Was really tired on the way back though, couldn't sleep much the night before thinking of the new fishes and scrubbing their tank ;) .

Marie, did you find a place to put the new tank yet? It is gorgeous! I nearly came close to putting a 100 gallon in the back of the van for myself (would have if I didn't have that 130 gallon waiting for it's stand). My husband probably wouldn't have been too understanding of another tank though. The tanks had rounded edges :). If that $1 a gallon applied to acrylic tanks too I would have been all over it though, husband or no husband (which it probably would have been if I brought home a tank :p ). The store on 6th street was soooo nice and helpful, I had to put a lot of restraint on myself not to buy a bunch of stuff there! LOL. Would probably have gotten a filter but I don't know how much space will be under my stand yet. The staff was so nice too, even telling me what plants NOT to get since it wouldn't take my discus water temps (would melt to soup). I really appreciated that, it cost him a sale but he wanted a happy customer (happy customers are repeat customers and refer people, LOL).

Again another heart felt thanks to Kenny and Marie :).

Tina

traco
08-27-2006, 01:50 PM
I soooo wish I lived closer to you guys.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_9_8.gif

It would be nice to put the names to the faces. Oh well, there's next year in Sacramento.:D

Sounds like you guys had a great time (except for the traffic). I can't wait to see pics of your new fish, Marie and Tina.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_1_41.gif

I shall live through you two and your new babies as there is nowhere over here that has such gorgeous stock and home breeders.

AmberC
08-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Ditto Barb! I cant wait till next year! I need to buy my ticket!!! It will be so fun! Are you coming Barb?

Amber

Kindredspirit
08-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Yes she ishttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_27.gif

Kenny's Discus
08-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Don't know where to start so I'm gonna make it short this time lol...thank you Amber, Hector and Barb for your kind words.:D

Marie, you & Tina didn't get those Leopards...instead you got 1 of these and Tina got 2. They're LSSs remember?;)

Kenny's Discus
08-27-2006, 04:49 PM
this one is 1 of Tina's fish. Sry about his "clamped fins" I was in a rush snapping these pics while you gals went shopping for MORE TANKS.:D This one has a few "rings" on him.

Kenny's Discus
08-27-2006, 04:54 PM
There he is Marie I think:confused: . Is this not the one we picked out together?:)

Thank you both Marie & Tina again. Enjoy your fish and don't get too excited and forget about QT! :-)

Take care friends,
Kenny

Kindredspirit
08-27-2006, 05:02 PM
I am sorry Kenny I had the other tank up and decided it was the wrong ones but I guess it was the right one! I am sorry!!

Kenny they are doing sooooooo good! I just opened my tank too:D I wish all of them were like this now!

turkis
08-27-2006, 05:16 PM
I am sorry Kenny I had the other tank up and decided it was the wrong ones but I guess it was the right one! I am sorry!!

Kenny they are doing sooooooo good! I just opened my tank too:D I wish all of them were like this now!

Go and get some more, they are lovely fish it's half price according to Kenny. Ooops???
Just kidding
Mario

:D :D :D

AmberC
08-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Yes she ishttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_27.gif

Yay! :D

Great looking fish Kenny! Cant wait to see your "magic garage" in person!!! :D

Amber

Kenny's Discus
08-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Go and get some more, they are lovely fish it's half price according to Kenny. Ooops???
Just kidding
Mario

less than half for friends. (really joking this time:D )

Thanks Mario,
Kenny

Kindredspirit
08-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Just kidding
Mario

Mario....I had better than half off;) oops! ( cuz i'm special )

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

marilyn1998
08-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Man you guys! I missed all the fun, shopping, FOOD, Kenny's great place AND a chance to get some great fish!!! Next year for the convention *I* am coming. Maybe we can all get rooms on the same floor???? Party in MY room!!

I want more tanks!!!! Really thinking of setting up my other tank. I would get killed, but heh, whats a QT tank when you cant have anything to QT??;) ;)

Great show all of you! Congrats!

White Worm
08-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Marie....
Kenny, the discus and the magic garage are something else huh? You just cant get the full affect until you visit in person. He is always generous with whatever he has. Every time I visit, I see something new and it also makes me want to get my fish room started. I have already designed my plumbing for 85% auto and fast drain / fill.

Kenny....
Do you have auto drain on your tanks? I know you use the vacuum but wasnt sure if that is the only drain you do. I built and tested my PVC auto overflow / drain. It works perfect. You can fill the tank and it wont overflow. Keeps water level right where you want and you can also do a fast tank drain to any level you want.

White Worm
08-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Try it and see what happens and give me your opinion. It all works well as long as you dont lose the syphon. Some incorporate check valve at the top of the first loop to restart syphon if lost.

White Worm
08-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Oh by the way, it must have been egg laying night last night because I had a discus pair and the angel pair both lay eggs at the same time. They were literally making runs at the same time in different tanks. Pretty cool watching them both. The discus eggs look very promising this time except that they are in the community :( If they stay dark, I may move the eggs and the pair and give them a chance. They seem to be tending very well and no egg eaters in this pair.

Kenny's Discus
08-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks Marilyn. We(the popular Bay Area Discus Gang:D-google it) will be looking forward to meeting you 1 day! And yes always get a couple more tanks going just in case! LOL

Mike - thanks and I'm glad to hear the system works flawlessly for you. I'm sure it can work on mine but lately I just couldn't find the time to build another set of pvcs for the overflow. Thanks for the diagram regardless friend!

Hey Mike so finally you're seeing some action huh? If you had to move the eggs/pair from the community to the 29g, make sure you have the eggs side facing the tank glass so that the pair will not have access to the eggs. Reason for it is that the pair will tend to eat them up upon being moved.(after eggs are laid) Best of luck buddy!

Take care,
Kenny

Kindredspirit
08-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Man you guys! I missed all the fun, shopping, FOOD, Kenny's great place AND a chance to get some great fish!!!

Yes it was tons of fun Marilyn!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

White Worm
08-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks Marilyn. We(the popular Bay Area Discus Gang:D-google it) will be looking forward to meeting you 1 day! And yes always get a couple more tanks going just in case! LOL

Mike - thanks and I'm glad to hear the system works flawlessly for you. I'm sure it can work on mine but lately I just couldn't find the time to build another set of pvcs for the overflow. Thanks for the diagram regardless friend!

Hey Mike so finally you're seeing some action huh? If you had to move the eggs/pair from the community to the 29g, make sure you have the eggs side facing the tank glass so that the pair will not have access to the eggs. Reason for it is that the pair will tend to eat them up upon being moved.(after eggs are laid) Best of luck buddy!

Take care,
Kenny
Finally after months, now i have eggs everywhere. The discus layed a large batch too. The male was doing a great job and was making many runs so hopefully he did it right this time and i think he is old enough now so we will see. Must be close to 150-200 eggs and after 12 hours, only 1 white which was removed by parents. Ok, good advice, they have never been egg eaters but I could see them getting spooked over a move. Thanks.

Kenny's Discus
08-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Mike on second thought it's better to remove all your other fish outta this tank(I know it's a lot of work) and then lower your tank water level a bit. This way the pair won't be shocked due to the change of environment of the new 29g.

(I doubt you'll do this :D )

Kenny

Elcid
08-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Haha Kenny:

I've thought of doing what you said many times but opted for an egg crate divider ;)

HTH,
Sandeep

Kenny's Discus
08-29-2006, 12:28 AM
Haha Kenny:

I've thought of doing what you said many times but opted for an egg crate divider ;)

HTH,
Sandeep

Yeah Sandeep it should work too the only problem I'm seeing is that if you got wigglers they might swim through the egg crate divider. But for the time being(b4 they freeswim) it should be just fine. Thanks for the reminder!

Kenny

White Worm
08-29-2006, 02:19 AM
Yeah, going with the egg crate divider but I will stretch something over it like panty hose or the mesh material i have heard about at the fabric store. I may lose some that get by but I can at least give most a chance and see what happens.

White Worm
08-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Big mistake..... I forgot to stop the timer and the lights when out for about an hour and when I realized it, they were all already sleeping. I woke this morning and eggs were gone. Up till late last night, they were still a dark golden color so I think they were good finally. Do you think the parents got nervous because they werent watching all night (sleeping) or do you think an early riser ate them? I didnt have time to put in divider. I was going to do it today :( . I will have one ready to go next time. They were guarding and defending the eggs for the last 2 days and no other discus were allowed to come over to their side of the tank.

Kenny's Discus
08-29-2006, 04:47 PM
It's ok Mike, now that they start to lay you should see more eggs in a few days. Don't be discouraged!

Thought we were talking about DIM SUM here:D, talk about thread thief lol(yeah thief as in singular form I'm singling you out here Mike lol:D ) j/k

Better luck next time buddy, be more prepared this coming 2nd time!

Kenny

tpl*co
08-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Yeah Mike! :). Congratulations on the sucessful spawn but I'm sorry that they're gone :(. But this gives you a few more days if you want to plan for the next one. When my pair gets going they lay about every 8 days straight! :shocked:

But then mike what are you going to do with all the babies? Going to set up your own Magic Garage? LOL.

Tina

tpl*co
08-29-2006, 06:19 PM
OK some pictures, what I could get, all I could get most of the time was multi-colored blurrs, LOL.

Here's the Spotted Eruptions (the white streaks are bubbles and the black stuff is a little ecco complete when I had a pot in there):

tpl*co
08-29-2006, 06:20 PM
I picture of the little bugger that made me go on the emergency run for epsoms on Sunday:

tpl*co
08-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Another shot of a SE, Kenny that is a blue baby I got from you last winter in the lower right, do you know who the parents were of it?

Tina

Kenny's Discus
08-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Hey Tina it's nice seeing some of the fish you got from me finally! Look at the little spotted guy there I love him!

Now I remember Tina, the baby blue(not baby anymore lol) is the offsprings of your Male BSS x your OG. That means they've been having a family reunion for quite some time now LOL! (and they don't know:mad: )

I'd really love to see how the spotteds turn out under your TLC Tina. Thanks for the updates and best of luck in raising those fish.

Kenny
(ps: did you use the flash in the 1st 2 pics? I'd just like to see them with flash on but no biggies)

This was the parents of your baby blue...they're already in your tank Tina!:p

Kenny's Discus
08-29-2006, 07:06 PM
btw this is their DIM SUM.;)

For those who didn't know that's my lovely niece Akeyla in my avatar pic. She's got her own DIM SUM too!(ie: Tetrabits :D)

tpl*co
08-29-2006, 07:06 PM
So that blue baby (still growing, still a teenager) is in front of his/her mom then? I think I used the flash on the first two, just a different setting.

Tina

Kenny's Discus
08-29-2006, 07:08 PM
I called them Eating Machines.:D

Kenny's Discus
08-29-2006, 07:16 PM
So that blue baby (still growing, still a teenager) is in front of his/her mom then? I think I used the flash on the first two, just a different setting.

Tina

Yeah and he/she seems to have caught up to her mom's size.

Kenny

I just notice 1 of you gals should have grabbed him(Leopard) as well lol, you 2 were too "attached' to the LSS tanks and put him on ignored...too late now I'm keeping him for myself.:D I'm off during the weekend just so you know Tina & Marie lol. (j/k)

Elcid
08-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Umm, Please post the phone # to the Dim Sum place and Kenny's address, thanks! :D

take care,
Sandeep

Kindredspirit
08-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Okay Kenny ~ here is my LSS ( got it right:p ) My whole tank shots suck right now cuz they do not like the light ~ This is the best I can do!

I love these fish! I have four new babies!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

Kindredspirit
08-29-2006, 09:19 PM
oops! Well ~ imagine the other three for nowhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_5.gif

Kenny's Discus
08-29-2006, 09:27 PM
lol Marie I didn't know you got some "one incher" from me the other day!

:D :D :D :D :D

WHAT"S WRONG WITH THE SMALL PICTURE?

Kenny
(j/k it looks fine Marie...)

Kindredspirit
08-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Arentcha proud of me Kenny? Not a bad pic eh? I know he looks small huh? LOL! Well hey ... itz tough bein me ya know?

Hey remember I thought my Africans had a fungus cuz of the spots?? They are "egg spots" Kenny!! Check out the link if you are so inclined:p

http://africancichlidforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3735&pid=3764737&st=0&#entry3764737

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_2_8.gif

Kenny's Discus
08-30-2006, 07:53 AM
Umm, Please post the phone # to the Dim Sum place and Kenny's address, thanks! :D

take care,
Sandeep

Thanks...but no thanks:D

But thank you Sandeep.
Kenny

Elcid
08-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks...but no thanks:D

But thank you Sandeep.
Kenny

Okay but I thought with so many babies you might be accepting Dim Sum for Discus :p :D

thanks,
Sandeep