PDA

View Full Version : New Rena XP3 problem - help

Riche_guy
08-27-2006, 10:07 PM
I just purchase the Rena XP3. I followed the instructions closely and since I've set it up, there is an inch at the top of the filter that does not have water and I can actually see the water dropping in from the intake tube. This is causing a lot of minute air bubbles to fill the aquarium. Also I here the filter working since it is not filled completely with water. I tried stopping the filter. Water fills to the top, but once it is plugged in, the water drops down again. Please help.

Thanks

Ed13
08-27-2006, 10:13 PM
I've had this happen from time to time. What I do is I turn it off and disconect the hoses at the quick release "thingy". Then you can fill it throug the holes. Then, this is probably the case, you have got to make sure that at least the intake hose does not have Any air. Check the output hose also.

Riche_guy
08-27-2006, 10:50 PM
I've had this happen from time to time. What I do is I turn it off and disconect the hoses at the quick release "thingy". Then you can fill it throug the holes. Then, this is probably the case, you have got to make sure that at least the intake hose does not have Any air. Check the output hose also.

What do I fill through the holes???

Ed13
08-27-2006, 11:08 PM
Well, water!;) You could take the whole canister outside fill it as much as you can then place the top. However, is going to spill so I just take some water and pour it through the whole at the top(while the top is in place) then you can hook up the hose clamp "thingy" back. I still think that most of the times is air trapped in the hoses and when you start it back up the air gets trapped inside the canister.

Riche_guy
08-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Well, water!;) You could take the whole canister outside fill it as much as you can then place the top. However, is going to spill so I just take some water and pour it through the whole at the top(while the top is in place) then you can hook up the hose clamp "thingy" back. I still think that most of the times is air trapped in the hoses and when you start it back up the air gets trapped inside the canister.

Well as I mentioned, when I unplug the canister, it fill with water to the top. Once it is plugged in, it empties out one inch of water at the top.

Ed13
08-27-2006, 11:23 PM
If the intake hose is completely full ( again often the culprit), then adjusting the valve at the output might work. Try it closed first then open.
I forgot to mention that sometimes nothing seems to work so as long as the filter is working you leave, only to find out that the filter itself slowly released the air (does not happen most of the times though)

BTW, are you using the cone to fill the canister from the intake hose?

Riche_guy
08-28-2006, 05:28 AM
If the intake hose is completely full ( again often the culprit), then adjusting the valve at the output might work. Try it closed first then open.
I forgot to mention that sometimes nothing seems to work so as long as the filter is working you leave, only to find out that the filter itself slowly released the air (does not happen most of the times though)

BTW, are you using the cone to fill the canister from the intake hose?

To me it seems that the two hoses are void of air. It almost seems as if the intake is unable to keep up with the outtake side.

Sharn
08-28-2006, 07:40 AM
so when it empties the inch from the top of the canister is it still working? cause when i look at mine there does seem to be a gap about 2" of 'air' where the actual pump head is (the big part you can pull off) but i assume thats normal as the filter runs fine and makes little noise.

i would pull off the top and make sure the inlet/outlets are free of blockages in there, perhaps something is blocking the intake slightly?

Riche_guy
08-28-2006, 11:56 AM
so when it empties the inch from the top of the canister is it still working? cause when i look at mine there does seem to be a gap about 2" of 'air' where the actual pump head is (the big part you can pull off) but i assume thats normal as the filter runs fine and makes little noise.

i would pull off the top and make sure the inlet/outlets are free of blockages in there, perhaps something is blocking the intake slightly?

Tonight I will take apart and look for blockage. No there should not be any air at the top since it will prevent water from filling completely and causes noise.

Ed13
08-28-2006, 12:25 PM

It should be completely full, however like RIche one time I was unable to adjust it, so I left it working. The filter itself started burping the air out two days later was almost completely full.
By now I've setup dozens of the renas to clients and this problem does not seem to happen to most.

Hey Riche, to me it also seems as if the intake is unable to keep up with the outtake side. Maybe that's why other canisters have the intake hose much larger than the output. Did you try closing the valve in the spraybar when starting the filter?

Riche_guy
08-28-2006, 08:23 PM
It should be completely full, however like RIche one time I was unable to adjust it, so I left it working. The filter itself started burping the air out two days later was almost completely full.
By now I've setup dozens of the renas to clients and this problem does not seem to happen to most.

Hey Riche, to me it also seems as if the intake is unable to keep up with the outtake side. Maybe that's why other canisters have the intake hose much larger than the output. Did you try closing the valve in the spraybar when starting the filter?

Tonight I took the filter apart. I notice that the grid that is supplied with each box has two hole cut out of it. I tried to make sure all the box's grids had thier holes align with each other. The manual doesn't even mention this, but I thought I'd give it a try. I then added the valve to the spraybar. I can't believe how much pressure is coming out of this filter. My only quam is that it is putting a lot of micro bubbles into the tank.

Ed13
08-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Tonight I took the filter apart. I notice that the grid that is supplied with each box has two hole cut out of it. I tried to make sure all the box's grids had thier holes align with each other. The manual doesn't even mention this, but I thought I'd give it a try. I then added the valve to the spraybar. I can't believe how much pressure is coming out of this filter. My only quam is that it is putting a lot of micro bubbles into the tank.

But, the air in the canister is gone? The bubbles should stop one the filter get's going. It is a good filter I've even run it in 150g tanks that a customer has way overstocked with good results. Just clean it often and it will run like a dream.

Riche_guy
08-28-2006, 10:39 PM
But, the air in the canister is gone? The bubbles should stop one the filter get's going. It is a good filter I've even run it in 150g tanks that a customer has way overstocked with good results. Just clean it often and it will run like a dream.

The filter is not filled to the top. I still see micro bubbles all over the tank. I hope that is not dangerous to the fish. I'm wondering if the media could be causing this?

Riche_guy
08-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Well finally tonight the filter is full to the top. No micro bubble except that coming out of the eheim that is connected to a CO2. I've noticed the difference between water coming out of the Rena and the Eheim 2028. Rena has lots more pressure. Mind you I have a UV and a CO2 reactor on the Eheim. I hope that the water will become crystal clear.