PDA

View Full Version : Down to last one!

steve.ryall
08-30-2006, 05:17 AM
Well guys, it had to happen. After a few great weeks of raising my fry, they all decided to die off one by one. It was so sad to see them go and have no way of perking them up. My last 2 I gave a salt bath last night for 10 mins, then put them in my big tank expecting them to be gone in the morning.
This morning I see one dead one on the bottom of my tank, so I pulled him out....the other, my last one, seems to be swimming strongly and still alive.
I decided to put him in my big tank because it is not worth running a separate tank just for one, so he can now take his chances with the big guys.

I can now give my breeder tank a good clean and sterilise, and maybe put the pair back in there to try again.......I guess this happens to most people when first trying to raise fry, but all the work I put in seems to be for nothing :( Oh well, better luck next time.

Steve

Kindredspirit
08-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Steve it is okay really! I wish I could give you a hug babe~

I know you came so far and all the hard work and anticipation that went into this...you have to be feeling bloody bad right about now:( ( did you chuckle? )

And nothing is never for nothing ~ What have you learned in this? I know you have learned something and will do things dif next time around~

Did you figure out about Flukes? Perhaps hit them earlier? I bet you are going to be the best Fry Raiser some day!!!

Cheer Up Charlie~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_2_104.gif

08-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Very frustrating, now imagine that happening with a group of over 100 that were 2 months old and losing all but 30 or 40, it's happened to me twice now and the only explanation I can come up with is too many discus competing in one tank?! I don't know why but some spawns do great and others never thrive, better luck next time!

steve.ryall
08-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks Marie, 1977.

I did chuckle Marie ;)

Yes I suppose it has been a steep learning curve for me, and yes, I will do things differently next time, as you say Marie, hit them early!!! Still not sure about wether it was flukes or a secondary infection as Tony suggested??:confused:

As for being the 'best fry raiser', well, I'll wait and see for that one...won't hold my breath!! :D
1977, looseing loads like you did must be awfull, did you find out just what did it, or do you really think it was just the high number ?

Steve