PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who have grown out many spawns

kaceyo
08-30-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm raising a few spawns of lep x maze fry and wondered about pattern development. Aprox 1/3, give or take, will start showing spots or maze type red patterns considerably sooner than the rest. Have you found that these will generaly be the ones that end up with the pattern that covers the body more fully and have the best color intensity? Or are the ones that color up more slowly just as likely to end up with the best patterns? Are they more likely to be males? When picking juvies to keep as breeders how much importance should I place on the fact that these guys developed pattern (particularly spots) earlier vs good shape, fins or overall appearence etc?
Thanks,

Kacey

Green Country Discus
08-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Kacey, IME with spotted Discus (non SS), the earliest to color up are the ones that develop the best spots and fullest color, are almost/all males. In fact I am struggling to get a second generation pair due to lack of a willing/any female. I thought I kept plenty to carry on the strain but am starting to have doubts. Only time will tell with my situation. Good luck with your fry ;) .

kaceyo
08-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks Andrew,
Thats good to know. Seems like picking all males would be easy to do since we tend to go for the best looking fish. I'll make sure to hold back some of the less colorful mid-sized fish with good form.
Is it different with spotted SS's? or haven't you bred the LSS types yet?

Kacey

Green Country Discus
08-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Kacey, I have no experience with LSS. Wish I could help more.

kaceyo
08-31-2006, 09:39 PM
Andrew,
I'm working with 9 bar Maze Leps and 10/11 bar non-SS SE x Maze fry now so your info is just what I needed.
Thanks again,

Kacey