PDA

View Full Version : I think they like me!!

swinters66
09-01-2006, 08:44 AM
Yep, I think my guys are getting used to me. They swim up to the glass when I get near the tank, instead of hiding behind the plants! And this morning, when I did a WC, they were swimming through the stream of fresh water....too cute! :)

And I now know what some of you mean when you say during a WC, the fish won't move out of the way....one of mine follows the siphon.

It's great seeing the personalities of these fish coming out now. my largest discus is still a little skittish, but the others act like they have no fear! And another discus, well he sure likes to eat and doesnt seem to want to share the food. They all eat, but he gets a little more greedy about feeding time.

Well, I just wanted to share that. I really am starting to see the whole appeal of keeping these fish, more so than when I first came to this site and got my tank set up. And thanks to everyone for being so friendly and helpful with my barrage of questions!! :D

greyhoundfan
09-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Great news Swinter.. This board has been a GREAT help to me too. We've all been through what you experienced. I love my discus too. When they greet you at the front of the tank like puppies is the best!!

CatKing
09-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Yes, it is always cheerful when these babies come to greet you when you are approaching the tank.

White Worm
09-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Congrats.. Now... the next trick is to find which ones that like to be pet. I'm not kidding. A few of mine seem to actually enjoy contact. Some dont but its also cool when you can hold food and hand feed. I can hold a block of FBW in between my finger tips and they tear at it like piranhas. I'm glad they dont have teeth, lol. Heres the real test. Go to one end and look in the tank, they will all come running to see, then go to the other end....they will follow. Then give them their favorite treat.

CAGE-RATTLER
09-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Yep, I think my guys are getting used to me. They swim up to the glass when I get near the tank, instead of hiding behind the plants! And this morning, when I did a WC, they were swimming through the stream of fresh water....too cute! :)

And I now know what some of you mean when you say during a WC, the fish won't move out of the way....one of mine follows the siphon.

It's great seeing the personalities of these fish coming out now. my largest discus is still a little skittish, but the others act like they have no fear! And another discus, well he sure likes to eat and doesnt seem to want to share the food. They all eat, but he gets a little more greedy about feeding time.

Well, I just wanted to share that. I really am starting to see the whole appeal of keeping these fish, more so than when I first came to this site and got my tank set up. And thanks to everyone for being so friendly and helpful with my barrage of questions!! :D

Now you've done it!!

Your hooked now .............. and i see in your future .......... more and more tanks & fish being added ......... lol.

Marinemom
09-01-2006, 01:10 PM
That's great news! Glad to hear everyone is doing fine. My discus are finally getting used to me and even the daily noises in that room and throughout that the house. I have one of them (the red and white one) that will even take food from my fingers. I have two lights on this aquarium and when I remove one of them to get into the tank to feed they all know that the food is coming. It is so funny to watch them all greet you in anticipation of the goodies that you have for them.

Diane

Kindredspirit
09-01-2006, 01:27 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_125.gif

Great News!!

and.........got Pics???

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_134.gif

used2bBubbles
09-01-2006, 01:39 PM
I agree with you, Swinter. These little guys DO have personalities, which is something non-fish people don't understand. They are so sweet when they love you so unconditionally (even if it is for food!).

And yes, like Mike said, find the ones who want to be pet. It's great. I have 2 BDs, 1 BT and 1 cobalt that like to have me pet them. It only makes you love them more.

5 years ago if somebody told me I'd be saying something like this I would have had them put in the looney bin!

Kathi

Jarrod
09-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Sounds like you made the breakthrough with them!! And that's an awesome accomplishment at least IMHO anyways. As to them following the siphon around lol mine do the same thing...they tend to get in my way and block my view of what I'm trying get off the bottom of the tanks. But I think it's a good thing lol...at least they don't all go dashing down to the other end of the tank and hide. Congrats on that big step forward.
Jarrod

swinters66
09-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Well I posted some pictures of them in the photo gallery section...maybe 2 weeks ago.

Now that they are settled in, boy do they eat!! They are like piranhas!! I havent tried feeding them from my hand yet...but since they have gotten such a ravenous attitude with eating, Ill try that next time!

Petting one? Well I did have an oscar who liked that...so why not discus?