PDA

View Full Version : Heating Issue

Go For It
09-01-2006, 11:55 AM
I am currently raising some Discus in a seperate tank, but in my main show tank I have the temperature set at 85 degrees (once the Discus are adults, I will be transfering them into this tank), however, the digital thermometer reads 91.1 and is constanty fluctuating. Why is it so hot? Could it be the lights? If so, what can I do in order to keep the water at the temperature that I set on the heater?

B.T.W.
The tank is a basic 60 gallon purchased from a LFS and the lights I am currently using are the ones that came with the tank. I purchased the heater from PetsMart (THEO UL Aquarium Heaters from Hydor is the brand) and it is a 300w.

Thanks,
Michael

reeffreak25
09-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Standard flourescent light doesn't give off much heat, if that is what it came with. Some heaters are not correctly calibrated, and not all thermometers are correct. I use two thermometers on all of my tanks. If one says 82 and the other 84, I'm happy.

poconogal
09-01-2006, 12:25 PM
I am currently raising some Discus in a seperate tank, but in my main show tank I have the temperature set at 85 degrees (once the Discus are adults, I will be transfering them into this tank), however, the digital thermometer reads 91.1 and is constanty fluctuating. Why is it so hot? Could it be the lights? If so, what can I do in order to keep the water at the temperature that I set on the heater?

B.T.W.
The tank is a basic 60 gallon purchased from a LFS and the lights I am currently using are the ones that came with the tank. I purchased the heater from PetsMart (THEO UL Aquarium Heaters from Hydor is the brand) and it is a 300w.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael, your temp probably is 91.1. Sounds like your heater is malfunctioning. I have a Hydor Theo. It did the same thing. I put it in my water change barrel, I do not trust it. From reviews I've read, many people have had the same problem with them. On average, people have had to set the Hydor heater at least 12 degrees lower than the temp they want. One thing you can do is to get a controller, which you can use with any heater, including the Hydor you have. I use an Otto controller, costs $15 from www.angelsplus.com. I have it hooked up to a Stealth heater. I've used an Otto controller for the last 13 years. All you do is turn your heater up as high as it will go, connect it to the controller, then set the temp you want on the controller. The controller will then control the heater, accurately.

Connie

Go For It
09-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Well, I will definately invest in the Otto-Heater Controller, but even with that connected to my heater, should I still purchase a new heater? If so, what brands are reccomended?

White Worm
09-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Connie... I also use the stealth by marineland. No fear of shattered glass.

poconogal
09-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Well, I will definately invest in the Otto-Heater Controller, but even with that connected to my heater, should I still purchase a new heater? If so, what brands are reccomended?
With it connected to the controller, you probably won't need a different heater. I believe its the Hydor's thermostat that is the problem, so the controller will override the heater's thermostat. If you try it with your Hydor and it still does not work, you can get a Visitherm Stealth, or another that people seem to like is the Ebo Jager. BTW, the Otto controller has a safety shut off at 95 degrees, too.

Connie

poconogal
09-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Connie... I also use the stealth by marineland. No fear of shattered glass.
Hey, hi Mike! That's a good point, too. The Stealth won't break as its not glass. I really like it.

Go For It
09-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Can you purchase the Otto-Heater Controller at PetsMart or Petco so I can get them today?

White Worm
09-01-2006, 01:08 PM
I think you may have to purchase online. I dont believe petco or petsmart carry it. Even if your temp is 91, it wont hurt discus for short period of time. At higher temps, just make sure you plenty of aeration. Discus can do fine in temps upwards of 93+. Most keep them at 90 when treating with certain meds. Normal tank temp would be around 85-88. Breeders may be around 82-84 degrees. You would be better off just going to petco and getting you the new stealth heater. They do carry those. Pretty accurate temp adjustment. Just order the controller and wait. The stealth will be fine in the meantime.

Go For It
09-01-2006, 01:14 PM
...is this the Stealth heater you guys are talking about?:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444181 0432&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030060&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1157131289537&itemNo=1&In=Fish&N=2030060&Ne=2

If so, how many watts should I get for a 60 gallon?

White Worm
09-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Yep, thats the one. Go with 250.

Go For It
09-01-2006, 05:07 PM
I just purchased the heater but it didn't come with any suction cups to hold it against the tank... how do you guys place the heater in the aquarium? Thanks.

Michael

marilyn1998
09-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Yes, it does. It doesnt show them in the picture is all. There are two sets of suction.

LizStreithorst
09-01-2006, 08:16 PM
First of all a 300 watt heater is too big for a 60. I'd go with no bigger than a 250. I 200 could probably handle it if the tank is in a controlled temp envyronment (like your house).

Second, I also recomend the Stealth. They are cheap and IME they are reliable.

poconogal
09-01-2006, 10:15 PM
I just purchased the heater but it didn't come with any suction cups to hold it against the tank... how do you guys place the heater in the aquarium? Thanks.

Michael
It does come with suction cups. If they weren't in the box then they were snatched by someone.

poconogal
09-01-2006, 10:16 PM
First of all a 300 watt heater is too big for a 60. I'd go with no bigger than a 250. I 200 could probably handle it if the tank is in a controlled temp envyronment (like your house).

Second, I also recomend the Stealth. They are cheap and IME they are reliable.
I had to get the 250 for my 45 because the 200 could not keep the temperature up.

Connie

White Worm
09-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Return it if it didnt come with suction cups. I have the 150's/200's/250's. They all perfom great. You will pay more at petco (cheaper online) but if ya need em in a pinch......The one thing they could improve on is that there is no light telling you that it is working. So...I have 2 thermometers in each tank and look at them each day during water change to make sure my temp is same.

poconogal
09-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Return it if it didnt come with suction cups. I have the 150's/200's/250's. They all perfom great. You will pay more at petco (cheaper online) but if ya need em in a pinch......The one thing they could improve on is that there is no light telling you that it is working. So...I have 2 thermometers in each tank and look at them each day during water change to make sure my temp is same.
Yes, I think a light indicating when its on would be nice, but since mine is hooked up to the controller, I just have to check the controller, since it has a light on when the heater is on, so that helps.