PDA

View Full Version : Selecting Discus

Go For It
09-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Okay... so a little over a year ago, my Dad purchased me a brand new 60 gallon tank for my room. I have been anxiously wanting one so I would finally be able to keep Discus. Well, I'm in Southern California and there is practically no breeders out here. I found one called "DiscusFarm" but the owner, Jeff, said that he will not have any Discus for quite some time. Since then, I have set-up my tank with gravel and decor and my Dad has "surprised" me with a few fish (3 rummy-nose tetras, a pair of kihlis, a bushy-nose pleco, a spotted fish that I have no knowledge of its kind, and one very stunted, unhealthy Discus who is in an Eclipse 12 by itself). The majority of these fish (including the decor) were small "surprises" here and there from my parents (they are pretty unkowledgeable when it comes to fish). Well, recently, I came accross a distributor of Jack-Wattley Discus who is located about an hour and a half from me. I'm very excited because I have always wanted to keep Discus, but before I jump into it, I wanted to hear what you guys thought of my situation and give advice as what you think would be the smartest thing would be for me to do, whether it comes down to keeping Discus or not.

Well to begin with... my tank has gravel, decor, and some fish. What should I do about that? How big of an issue is it?

Secondly, I run a pretty hectic lifestyle between schooling (...I just turned 18) and my part-time hobby as an actor/model. I am home-schooled, so I do have time to care for the aqaurium, but I'm not sure I would be able to handle Juvies since I know they require much more attention than do adults. Although adults are more expensive, I think they'd be my best bet. The distributor says most his Discus are 2.5 in but a few are 3.5-4 in. Are those adults? Would I be able to purchase them and just add them into the already decorated and established tank? What be your advice on this?

Here is my set-up...

60-gallon tank
AquaClear 110 with no carbon, 1 sponge, and a pre-filter
250 watt Marineland STEALTH heater
3 rummy-nose tetras, 2 kihlis, 1 spotted fish (?), 1 bushy-nose pleco, and 1 stunted Discus (in a seperate Eclispe 12); I have had all these fish for quite some time, so they are all not able to be returned.

Well, that is my situation... what do you guys suggest? Thank you in advance.

sleonard
09-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Siphon all the gravel out and remove the decor. Get yourself a 30 gallon Rubbermaid Brute trash can for aging your water. Age and preheat water for 24 hours before using it for water changes. Get yourself 5 discus and put them in the 60 with the lone discus, the tetras, and the bushy-nose. I don't know about the kihlis or your "spotted fish", they may be fine as well. Do 50% water changes every day for a year. Before each water change clean the tank glass and siphon all waste/uneaten food while draining the 30 gallons.

After a year you can add the gravel and decor back and cut the water changes to twice a week.

Oh, and every day repeat the mantra, "Water quality, water quality, water quality" 10 times while doing your water changes.

Scott

Go For It
09-03-2006, 02:41 AM
Okay, so I figured out what the "spotted fish" is... it is called the Leopard Bush Fish (http://www.wetpetz.com/leopardbushfish.htm).

Quick question......

Is there an easier way to get the aged/heated water from the barrel and into the tank than hauling it back and foth with buckets? And I know I have to have aheater in the barrel, but is it necessary to get a filter for it as well?

Carol_Roberts
09-03-2006, 10:17 AM
I use a pond pump. They sell them at Walmart, Lowes, etc. Get a large one to move water fastest. small ones take forever to fill your tank. (sould be on closeout now) You will have to buy hose long enough to go from your storage tank to your fish tank. Check to see which size to buy for the pump you purchase. Some need 1/2 inch INSIDE diameter, others 3/4 inch. Best to buy hose that humans can drink out of from Lowes or Home Depot.

mmorris
09-03-2006, 10:31 AM
I don't know what variety of killies you have but they normally prefer water temperatures substantially lower than what discus require. I've learned the hard way to get rid of all those decorations and gravel. The discus will love you for it. So glad to hear you found some! I have kept fish for probably 30+ years (for the most part) and keeping discus is a whole new ball game. They are so special! Martha NTD

diskboy
09-03-2006, 10:41 AM
yes bare bottom (bb) all the way.