PDA

View Full Version : feeding my breeding pairs

chris allsop
09-03-2006, 07:19 AM
ive had two of my pair in a seperate tank with a divider for a few months now but they are so picky, they hardly eat anything i put in the tank, ive tryed loads of different dry and some frozen foods, using a very small amount and they hardly touch it.
one of the pairs breedes every few day and the others have done twice, im lowering the tds to help with breeding, one of the pairs raised one day old free swimmers b4 they died or the parents eat them.

Ive tryed different flakes tetra prime colour pellets, frozen bw, bh, tropical mix etc etc and they dnt seem that interested.

what else should i try or should i not feed again for a few days to make then hungry?
one of the pairs laid again last nite after a water change so they are healthy just not eating alot!!!!?

09-03-2006, 09:36 AM
I would suggest putting them together in a community tank. It is good to give them a break sometimes and hopefully it will gt them eating again

chris allsop
09-04-2006, 09:32 AM
maybe i will try that.
thanks

Dave_Discus
09-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Try any live foods? I here red worms work good.

chris allsop
09-06-2006, 12:12 PM
dont want to try live food due to the risks.

billeagan
09-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Chris,

Try come CBW I have never heard of any issues with using them. Never use live blood worms.

Bill

chris allsop
09-11-2006, 11:01 AM
if i place the pairs back in the main tank, how do i keep the filters working properly, with no fish in there?

chris allsop
09-14-2006, 05:26 PM
not movin them at the moment as i have wrigglers just hope they raise them this time, if not then they are all going in the main tank and i will buy some more and quarinten them in the breeder

chris allsop
09-17-2006, 02:24 PM
this is the second day of free swimming so the furethest they have gone without eating them.
one major problem is some of the fry swam though the tiny holes in the tank divider to the breeding pair next door.

To my suprise the "foster pair" spat them back though the holes to the parents!!!
Just goes to show how inteligent these discus we keep are!!!

Just hope the parents keep a better eye on them this time, but to be fair they are doing well for the second try!

No matter what both the fish and myself have learned alot for next time.

CAGE-RATTLER
09-17-2006, 08:49 PM
To my suprise the "foster pair" spat them back though the holes to the parents!!!
Just goes to show how inteligent these discus we keep are!!!

Thats awesome ........... I would'nt have expected that.

CARY_GLdiscus
09-17-2006, 10:41 PM
I once had gold diamonds Both brother males would fertilize and raise the young! Kind of like male Lions LOL!

I agree many rules with discus But Many more exceptions!

Takecare
Cary + family

chris allsop
09-19-2006, 11:58 AM
some of the fry are sill with the foster pair, they have 3 day old wrigglers so i have 2defo fertile pairs. and the fry with the foster parents are growing more?