View Full Version : why do pigeon bloods get peppering

billydiscus
09-03-2006, 07:51 AM
hi all just a quick Q

why do pigeon bloods get peppering

Carol_Roberts
09-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Pigeons do not have vertical stress bars like turquoise or leopards. Instead the bars are expressed as black dots we call peppering. Some pigeons have lots of peppering others have very little. When discus are excited, happy, unhappy, sick, scared, etc. the stress bars and/or peppering become visible.

poconogal
09-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Pigeons do not have vertical stress bars like turquoise or leopards. Instead the bars are expressed as black dots we call peppering. Some pigeons have lots of peppering others have very little. When discus are excited, happy, unhappy, sick, scared, etc. the stress bars and/or peppering become visible.
Hi, Carol, I'd like to add one other thing, which I found out about, too late: If you have a dark background and/or dark substrate, they will pepper also in an effort to blend in. I HAD a black background and have black gravel. I have a PB that had very slight peppering on her "nose" and a Super RM that was totally clean. One developed peppering and the other became more peppered once they came home from the breeder and were finally placed into the show tank after QT. I removed the background and the peppering has lightened some. Next step, I get rid of the black gravel. Grrrrr.

Connie

Carol_Roberts
09-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Yep - dark colors will bring out the pepper :)

billydiscus
09-03-2006, 11:48 AM
thanks guys thats the one i was looking for black background

poconogal
09-03-2006, 12:15 PM
thanks guys thats the one i was looking for black background
Another black background bites the dust??? :D

Marinemom
09-03-2006, 11:49 PM
I had a black background too and I removed it from the discus tank. My blue discus turned almost black from the background but once I yanked that thing off my blue discus lightened up considerably. However, it did take almost two weeks for the full effect.

Diane