PDA

View Full Version : laying too much?

Sharn
09-04-2006, 07:53 AM
hello all. recently two of my fish have paired up. they have gone through the rituals and layed twice in the last week or so but the eggs have been eaten after i disturb them with a water change. i think they are fertile as i see a few whiteish ones amongst a bunch of clear reddish ones? the 'male' (not too good at sexing discus) is approx 11cm with the 'female' being 12cm. i do not plan to let them try to raise any eggs in a seperate tank as it is alot of work and the female has a defect in her anal fin (slightly concave at the end). i was extremely surprised to find eggs as i have been having problems with our water quality (it is E grade)

my question is, is laying eggs so often going to be detrimental to her health? producing eggs is alot of work and i worry that she might get weaker or something from doing it so often?

also will they eventually tire of going through this process or will i have a new batch of eggs every week?

thanks in advance :)

steve.ryall
09-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Sharm, the white eggs you are seeing are unfertile ones. If they are fertilised they will slowly go darker as the embrio grows inside. HTH

Steve

LizStreithorst
09-04-2006, 09:07 AM
It won't hurt her in the least to lay eggs. It's the natural thing for a happy healthy female Discus to do. What's hard on them is to raise the fry. They'll probably go through a long period of laying every week followed by some time off.

Sharn
09-04-2006, 10:03 PM
cool thanks guys :) hopefully they will tire of doing this twice a week lol!