PDA

View Full Version : Spitting food out.

SimmonM
09-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Quick question for you guys. I have five new discus in my 65g tank. They've been in this tank now for about 10 days and finally beginning to take in some food (color bits). I've been watching them and noticing that some of them take in the bits and then spit them back out. Should I be alarmed by this? They all also pick at the bottom for food which I assume is normal behavior.

Water pams are fine, temp between 84-86 degrees and the discus are all approx. 4" in length.

greyhoundfan
09-04-2006, 10:58 PM
what you are describing is normal behavior for new fish. be prepared for them to do that for a while. they are just tasting their food and will get used to it eventually. I have some juvie discus that only ate BH b/c that is what the pet store owner fed them. I didn't want that to be their daily diet so I gradually got them accustomed to tetrabits and other brands of dry food. They should come around in due time. Just keep up with the water changes. find out what they were fed previously and work with that. patience is key, just ask Swinter and marinemom.

SimmonM
09-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Thank you for the quick response! I do know what they were fed on previously - beefheart. I do plan on feeding them beefheart in the future but also want them to get used to some dried foods as well. That I know this is normal behavior makes me feel a lot better.

Thanks again!

greyhoundfan
09-05-2006, 09:18 AM
you're in the same boat as me. my juvies were fed beefheart. it took me three weeks for them to eat tetra bits and other dry foods. now they eat everything with gusto.

sleonard
09-05-2006, 10:01 AM
They will never stop spitting food. It is part and parcel of their eating behavior. They don't have teeth so take a bite, grind it a bit, spit it out and do it again. Each time they grind off a bit to swallow.

Scott

Sandfish
09-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Ok so your spit it out. I have a 1 year old 4" that wont eat. I have done the water changes, ( dumped the 350l tank at the weekend) So that fine. The tank *** was in i water changed with about 100l and the others are fine, increased the temp to 34 degree C, introduced new foods (blood worm, spiralina, brine shrimp and a mixture the pet shop gave us and still it wont eat.

I have moved it into a 350l tank on its own. Any sugguestion on how to force feed a fish?

The other 14 all eat fine no problems.

swinters66
09-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Yep, mine spit their food out too. I think they all do that. They eat like pigs, but I see them spitting out food, then eating it again. They might be doing it with the color bits cause its hard food? Maybe? That's a guess. If they were eating beefheart and now you arent feeding them that, that could be a reason also. Feed them the beefheart. Mine are crazy about it!

Sandfish
09-06-2006, 02:59 AM
They dont eat dry food they tend to watch it fall to the bottom of the tank. With the expression "you wanted me to catch that" The beefheart will i made it and still have most of it. My frezzer looks more like the frozen food section. I have to warn people to be carefull when taking anything out. They may end up eating something they dont like.
They have only been feed bloodworm for the last year. Yes we lack the varity and releability of food in SA.
Im at a loss with this one. It just wont eat. Lost cause. Is there a way to maybe catch it and place small qty's with a siringe into it mouth without hurting it. Yes im even considering this. I have handreaded for too many creatures to let this one go.

AADiscus
09-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Do you have access to flakes? Try those. Your fish will get hungry eventually.;)

Sandfish
09-08-2006, 02:14 AM
The flakes didnt work, then again they are for goldfish that i have never kept. How strange. I have some really small siringes and i got about 2ml of bloodworm into its mouth. It took it didnt spit it out. But alas to little to late it died last night.:angel:

Im not good at loosing fish yet. It still hurts. Well that me for the day. I have 14 others to go care for.

swinters66
09-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Hmm well Ive never heard of force feeding a fish before. He could have been sick or just trying to settle in.

Like I said above, most people I have talked to, all say their discus take food in their mouths and spit it out, and then do it again. It's normal.

Sorry your fish didnt make it. Give them a chance to settle down and get used to their new enviroment. It does take some time so try not to freak out.

AADiscus
09-09-2006, 08:07 AM
I'm not forsure where you got your fish from, a breeder by you or a lfs? It is possible that that fish and maybe some of your other ones are/where sick. You might consider calling them and asking some questions. What type of warranty do they carry on there fish. Just a thought.

Sandfish
09-12-2006, 06:51 AM
Hay guys this is Africa there are no warrenties on fish. Besides after a year i dont think i can claim it.

Im not sure what you mean by waiting for them to settle in. Same tank since they came home and it was doing this before i had the power failure.