PDA

View Full Version : Getting approved for shipping?

aquaticplantman
09-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Okay, I'm determined to ship out some of my discus, but I'm having a heck of a time getting all my ducks in a row. First I thought I'd go Delta Dash, then ulitmately found out that you have to be an "approved shipper" (4 to 6 week approval process, plus $50 fee, plus have to ship at least six times a year). Then I went back to FedEx and started asking questions. Got a heck of a run around from many different employees who each only knew parts of the process. Ulitmately I'm having to create an account with FedEx (no fee), send them an example of my shipping container including bags of water (they say they'll pay for that shipment"), wait for them to approve the shipping container, get a legal waiver of liability for the shipment, then finally ship the package.

Has everyone else gone through this process, or just sent the box on its way and hoped for the best? I'd be interested in hearing from both hobbiests and full-time import/exporters.

Thanks,
-- Matt H.

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-08-2006, 12:12 PM
To ship with most airlines you must become a known shipper. Yes, there is a bit of run around, but just fill out the application and wait for them to give you a call. Once they come out and inspect your place (and collect their fee) you will be approved to ship with them. The only airline that I know of where you do not need to be a known shipper is North West Airlines. As long as its only a box or two at a time, they just inspect the box to make sure its only fish going and you're on your way. I used to ship a lot with North West when I was getting started, but now im a known shipper for Delta and SouthWest...but I use SouthWest most of the time because they are cheaper.

When I ship FedEx, I just print out a label online (through my account) and drop the box off....no questions asked. Never had a problem.

-Ryan

dandestroy
09-08-2006, 02:06 PM
To ship with most airlines you must become a known shipper. Yes, there is a bit of run around, but just fill out the application and wait for them to give you a call. Once they come out and inspect your place (and collect their fee) you will be approved to ship with them. The only airline that I know of where you do not need to be a known shipper is North West Airlines. As long as its only a box or two at a time, they just inspect the box to make sure its only fish going and you're on your way. I used to ship a lot with North West when I was getting started, but now im a known shipper for Delta and SouthWest...but I use SouthWest most of the time because they are cheaper.

When I ship FedEx, I just print out a label online (through my account) and drop the box off....no questions asked. Never had a problem.

-Ryan

So when you ship fedex you do not tell them what's inside right?, you just bring the box the adress and the cash?

crazie.eddie
09-08-2006, 02:58 PM
So when you ship FedEx you do not tell them what's inside right?, you just bring the box the address and the cash?

I guess you do, since he stated this...

Then I went back to FedEx and started asking questions. Got a heck of a run around from many different employees who each only knew parts of the process. Ultimately I'm having to create an account with FedEx (no fee), send them an example of my shipping container including bags of water (they say they'll pay for that shipment"), wait for them to approve the shipping container, get a legal waiver of liability for the shipment, then finally ship the package.

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-08-2006, 03:11 PM
So when you ship fedex you do not tell them what's inside right?, you just bring the box the adress and the cash?

Pretty much. Though I have an account online with FedEx (anyone can get one...its free) and I do all the shipment stuff on there. Print out a nice label that I tape on and they charge my account (credit/debit card) automatically. I just walk in and drop the box off on their little scale and walk right out...no questions asked, none given, lol. As long as the box doesnt leak (HIGHLY recommend using a full box liner to prevent this) they dont care. But, if you try to claim damages with FedEx they wont because its a "live animal" and they accept/assume no responsibility. So when you ship FedEx, its at your own risk basically. The times that the box is handled rough is when it is being loaded onto the trucks and the carrier driving around jostling the box about.....i always have the box held at the FedEx destination (mark for Hold). That way, there is minimal handling and less chances of there being damages.

-Ryan

CAGE-RATTLER
09-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Do you mark the boxes "LIVE FISH - HANDLE WITH CARE" or anything like that?

Can you use smaller boxes for smaller shipments or do they tell you what size and type of containers to use?

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Do you mark the boxes "LIVE FISH - HANDLE WITH CARE" or anything like that?

Can you use smaller boxes for smaller shipments or do they tell you what size and type of containers to use?

I just put "Fragile" and "This Side Up" on all the shipments regardless if its going through the airport or FedEx.

You can use whatever size box you want. When shipping FedEx though, you'll need to have the cardboard box that fits the styro shipping container. Most airlines dont care about the cardboard box, but FedEx does.

-Ryan

sleonard
09-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Slightly off topic, but where do you get the styro shipping containers? I did a quick online search and only found one company and they want a fortune. Over $20 a box in bulk.

Scott

09-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Go to your local fish stores and they usually just throw them away

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Most people get theirs from LFS. Because they just throw them away for the most part. You could also try meat packers. Any styrofoam container will work as long as it is atleast 10-11"+ tall on the INSIDE...not outside dimensions. Even the styro foam coolers you can buy from Walmart and the like work great. I have used those in a pinch. they cost like all of $5. Then just use a big trashbag as a liner (to prevent any leaking water).

-Ryan

LizStreithorst
09-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Go to your local fish stores and they usually just throw them away

My LFS suckems. They won't pay over $5. for 2.5" Discus and they SELL their used styros! Guess what? I don't do much business there.

aquaticplantman
09-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'd still be interested to hear anyone else's experiences.

This morning I dropped off my "test box" at a big FedEx hub so they could send it to the packaging laboroatory for approval. The lady behind the counter basically didn't believe me that FedEx was going to pay for the shipping and said "I've been here 18 years and have never seen this before". I had to call their lab again and give the phone to the lady behind the counter before she'd believe me and just take the package. After everything was squared away she said ".. after 18 years I guess you can still learn something new". So, if anyone else is going to go through this process, be patient and be prepared to talk to a lot of people who don't have all the information they are supposed to have. I might suggest just going the "don't ask, don't tell" route and hope for the best.

-- Matt H.