PDA

View Full Version : whats the differnce between driftwood and no driftwood

jimmyle
09-11-2006, 08:10 PM
ive heard many stories on how dirftwood can help a discus tank but can a tank do just as well without dirftwood? thanks

lhforbes12
09-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Yes

jimmyle
09-11-2006, 08:40 PM
lol alright thanks

Dave_Discus
09-11-2006, 09:02 PM
The general thoughts are that driftwood...the right type...lowers the ph and softens water slightly releasing tanins from the wood re-creating conditions
in the amazon basin.

Do they need it...no.
Is it a cool decoration with possible benifits ...yes.

Can you pick the wrong stuff and blank your tank up....yes.

Evan
09-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Most people are doing fairly regular WC on their tanks.

I tried driftwood before, I did not really like the tannins with the fish I had.

I also did not not notice a change in my PH or GH KH etc. Now I would think that something was added to the water because it changes colour. Is the difference too small for my kits to detect, maybe the kit is bad, maybe there is no difference, maybe I'm crazy..wait lets not answer that one.

lesley
09-12-2006, 01:22 AM
I always have driftwood in my tanks. Like the look of it, and the discus seem to like it too.

Mine has never affected the pH (although potentially, if it softens the water it could) and I would not expect it to alter the general hardness or the carbonates.

IceDiscus
09-12-2006, 04:34 PM
I have 1 55 gallon with drift wood and 1 with out and there is no major difference. for me it more of a design, my tank with the wilds have it and my tank with the domestic discus dont. :D

jimmyle
09-13-2006, 08:50 PM
alright guys thanks for the help

mmorris
09-14-2006, 04:39 PM
I had driftwood in my tank when I first got my discus but problems developed. First, they were hiding behind it. I've seen it recommended somewhere that wood should wait until they are older and they become more confident and secure. I'd be interested to hear what the rest of you think. Secondly, I had a couple of bouts of hex and I suspected that I wasn't cleaning as thoroughly as I needed to with juvies. The gravel went, and so did the wood. I will try again when they are adult. Martha NTD