PDA

View Full Version : Pepper

surfzone
09-14-2006, 12:48 PM
My LFS has quite a few very nice shaped Stendker MRs. They are eating well and are about 2.5 inches the only down side is that they all are peppered. Is there anyway to get rid of it, or once it is there it's there?

Thanks
Kevin

surfzone
09-14-2006, 01:00 PM
ok now I feed dumb. lol I did a search after I posted this and found that reduced stress and lighter backgrounds will reduce the peppering, but it is a genetic trait. So I can buy them just stay away from the ones with alot of pepper, and put them in their own tank and not in my plant tank with black sand and black background.

LizStreithorst
09-14-2006, 01:26 PM
ok now I feed dumb. lol I did a search after I posted this and found that reduced stress and lighter backgrounds will reduce the peppering, but it is a genetic trait. So I can buy them just stay away from the ones with alot of pepper, and put them in their own tank and not in my plant tank with black sand and black background.

Don't feel dumb. I've had Discus for a while and I'm not sure how to answer your question. The Stendker MR's that come to me clean pepper up in my tanks. I know it doesn't happen to most people. It must be something with my water, I guess. I can't figure it out. I end up selling them cheap to people who like freckles (yes, there ARE people who like freckles). Personally, I've just decided to stay away from that strain.
Isn't there a Stendker re-seller in your area other than your LFS that has some clean ones you could buy? The LFS isn't the best place to buy Discus anyway, regardless of their origin.

surfzone
09-14-2006, 01:51 PM
There are 5 LFS in my area 3 sell discus, 2 sell Stendker discus, and 1 takes care of their discus as if they where children. In fact there are only 2 LFS worth a drat in my area, but anyway I feel safe with this LFS I got my red terks from them and the terks are now breeding in the tank. Now I do admit that the LFS isn't the best place for info in most areas, but I'm fortunate enough to have 2 awsome LFS in my area in fact they have refused to sell me things b/c of illness or b/c they didn't like the way something looked. Lastly I would rather support the local guy who is trying to feed his family rather than buy online and not really know what I'm getting untill it gets to my door. That is a few reasons why i rather my LFS.