PDA

View Full Version : Logging in problem

Marinemom
09-14-2006, 10:31 PM
:( O.K. Ever since the upgrade yesterday, it seems that everytime I go to use this site it tells me I do not have permission to access this page and I have to log in every time I want to post something or even read something on the site. I did not have this problem before until yeasterday after the upgrade.Is there a reason for this or am I doing something wrong?

Diane

Timbo
09-14-2006, 10:36 PM
the upgrade probably generated a new "Simply" cookie. you *should* have to only manually login once and the new cookie (with your login perms) should be auto generated and stored on your puter.

i had to manually login, but only once. are you running a cookie blocker or have the "allow cookies to be stored" perms turned off on your computer?

Marinemom
09-14-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm not real computer savy, but as far as I know I am not running a cookie blocker. So far I have had to manually log in at least three times since yesterday. I don't know what the problem is.

Diane

Ryan
09-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Clear your internet history, then hit Ctrl + F5 at the same time on your keyboard. This will do a hard refresh and force your browser to reload all the files on the site. Then try logging in and see if that works. I had to do this yesterday in order to keep mine logged in, too. Also make sure the "Remember me" button is checked.

AOL users have lots of issues with this forum. Something about the AOL browser does not like storing login info. I have a feeling it's something to do with their security settings. A separate browser like Firefox or IE usually does the trick.

Ryan

lhforbes12
09-15-2006, 05:14 AM
Diane,
Next time you logon click the little "Remember Me" box first

Marinemom
09-15-2006, 08:14 AM
Thank-you for answering my post about this problem. I do not use AOL because they are always a problem. I have the browser firefox that I use all the time. I have checked "Remember me" and it still would happen.

O.K. this morming I was able to get on without a problem. Hopefully, it will be fine now.

Diane

Marinemom
09-16-2006, 12:45 PM
According to my son, if I do what you say to do about clearing the internet history and pressing F5 at the same time, it will clear everything ;all of my cookies on everything and I will have to reload everything all over again as if my computer is brand new. I do not want to have to do this because all of my other sites are fine. This is the only site that I have to logg on to almost every time I use this site and certainly every day. I did not have to do this with this site before the last upgrade to this site. If it was a securities issue, I would think that it would be blocking my other sites as well. As of this morning, I can get on the site but it says that I am currently viewing this site as a guest and is asking that I join the community. So I logged in again, like I have been doing since the last upgrade. Of course I am not a guest and have been on this site for months now. Can you figure this out. I'm at a loss. It is just annoying to have to logg in all of the time on a daily basis because it thinks I am a guest and it is clear that I am not a guest but a member of this site.

Please help!

Diane

Marinemom
09-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Today I was already on this site and when switching to another post I had to logg in again! What is going on? I can't imagine what the problem is. This only happens on this site. I logged in again and also hit the "remember me" key as always and it is not remembering me even in the same day. This is getting a little ridiculious!PLEASE HELP!

Diane

Timbo
09-16-2006, 03:14 PM
go to your C: drive (start-->right click-->explore)
go to Documents and Settings
go to (your user name, in my case its Tim)
go to Cookies
look for a cookie that reads "www.simplydiscus.txt" (mine looks like this: tim@www.simplydiscus[1].txt )
right click on it and choose "delete"
login into Simply and choose "remember me"

a new simply cookie should generate without you losing the others

Ryan
09-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Tim,

The cookie for Simply only tracks what username logs in under each IP address. The logins here are done with Sessions.

Clearing your internet history and clearing your cookies are two totally separate things. I can clear my history without clearing my cookies. In Firefox and Internet Explorer, the two options are separate. Of course, if you use other vBulletin forums, they might require a re-login as well if you clear Sessions and your internet history, but at least your cookies for all the other sites remain intact.

Pressing Ctrl + F5 does not clear your cookies, it hard refreshes the current page you're on... which means that it will take all of the elements of SimplyDiscus and force them to be reloaded fresh, rather than being pulled from the temporary cache.

If you don't believe me, try it. When you hit Ctrl + F5 you will still be logged into the site. I am. This is a very commonly used function, especially for forums whose users have issues with things like this after an upgrade.

lhforbes12
09-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Ryan is correct. Although I don't know why he is using the Ctrl key when simply pressing F5 alone does the same thing. It is the same as hitting your "Refresh" button.

Ryan
09-16-2006, 08:41 PM
On my browser, simply pressing F5 does nothing. Keep in mind that control keys work differently with Windows vs Mac vs Linux. In order to refresh a page you can simply press Ctrl + R on a Windows machine, but to actually hard refresh it (which clears the cache and reloads all the files) requires Ctrl + F5. Here is a good reference for shortcut keys and how they work in each operating system:

http://www.uvic.ca/help/shortcuts.html

Marinemom
09-18-2006, 07:25 PM
I don't know. Something is not right. I have to logg in EVERY DAY! Sometimes more than once in the same day. I have done everything you told me to do and for some reason this site only does not remember me as a member and keeps telling me that I am currently viewing these boards as a guest which of course is a lot of just plain crap! It wants me to join the community which of course I have already done months ago. What else am I supposed to do to eliminate this problem?

Diane

Kindredspirit
09-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Find Larry ~ lol! Computers are his work and he has helped me twice ...once being just this morning Diane ~

Just out of curiosity you did go to Internet Explorer and delete all your off line crap right? Not the cookies tho? I think that is your footprints...to where you have been .....but re-logging in and checking 'remember me' shld have fixed that....

Hang in there woman....this too shall pass;)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_2_104.gif

lhforbes12
09-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Find Larry ~ lol! Computers are his work and he has helped me twice ...once being just this morning Diane ~

Just out of curiosity you did go to Internet Explorer and delete all your off line crap right? Not the cookies tho? I think that is your footprints...to where you have been .....but re-logging in and checking 'remember me' shld have fixed that....

Hang in there woman....this too shall pass;)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_2_104.gif

Diane,

Frankly I can't give better advice than Ryan already has. I STRONGLY suspect that Ryan's original statement was correct and you have cookies turned off Diane.
Unfortunately I use IE 7, and have for some time now, and I know nothing about Firefox. I honestly don't think it's this site since no one else is having problems. You may want to go to the Firefox site and see if they can help you.

Larry

Marinemom
09-21-2006, 09:35 AM
This problem is getting worse instead of better and I am completely frustrated with it. Now, I have to logg in almost on a continual basis. Already this morning I have had to logg in at least twice or three times. Last night I was already logged in and was typing an answer for a thread. When I went to post it it said I did not have permission to reply to a post and I should logg in again and refresh the page. Of course after doing that I lost everything I had typed and had to do it all over again!

I noticed this morning that at the bottom of some of the pages on this site it says my HMTL code is off. I believe on my other sites and everywhere else I go on this computer that the HMTL code is on. So if my HMTL code is off for this site how do I get it turned back on? What is a HMTL anyway?

Diane

Ryan
09-21-2006, 10:45 AM
HTML code is the basic language that most websites are written in. I have disabled people from using HTML code in their messages here, that's why the site says it's turned off. It has nothing to do with logging in or posting.

This has to be something to do with a security setting or a browser issue. I'm sure it started after the upgrade. Like I said, I was having this problem on Firefox at home until I cleared my internet history, refreshed the site and logged back in. Then it quit. So far, no one else has emailed me or PM'd me about having this problem, so I know it has to be something related to your computer and the way it handles Simply's login. If it were a problem on Simply's end, everyone would be experiencing issues.

Like I said, I don't really know of a solution other than clearing your internet history. I know that you don't want to do this, but that's the only fix I know of that might work.

Ryan

Kindredspirit
09-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Diane are things better now?

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

jeep
09-22-2006, 08:57 AM
I noticed this morning that at the bottom of some of the pages on this site it says my HMTL code is off. I believe on my other sites and everywhere else I go on this computer that the HMTL code is on. So if my HMTL code is off for this site how do I get it turned back on?

It this what yo're talking about?? If so, thats not your problem... I suspect it's some sort of browser security setting or spyware program that is not allowing cookies from Simply to be set on your computer...

Ryan
09-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Brian,

Those are forum posting rules that are set by Simply. It's strictly a board-related function. It says that you are allowed to use vB code and smilies in your replies, but not HTML code. It's got nothing to do with a browser or a security setting. That is a feature that I can choose to turn on and off for Simply.

jeep
09-22-2006, 09:54 AM
I know Ryan, I was just asking if that's the message she was refering to. But I do think her security setting are set a little high either through the browser, firewall or a spyware program. Elimination process:)

Marinemom
09-22-2006, 11:06 PM
O.K. as of tonight I am still having this problem even though I did go ahead and clear my internet history, pressed the refresh button and logged in again. Even still this problem persists. My son and I looked at everything as far as the programs that are set for my computer and everything seems in order. I simply do not understand what the problem is.

Diane

Ryan
09-23-2006, 03:10 AM
Like I said Diane, I'm at a loss. There are about 300 - 400 active members here daily. I log in on three different computers (work and two home systems) both with IE and Firefox, and I haven't experienced problems on any of them except for my main home computer the day of the upgrade. After I reset my history and refreshed, it never gave me an issue.

Do you have internet security suites or virus scanners installed that block web applications or cookies? Norton Internet Security or anything like that? Have you recently done updates to your system? If you have Windows XP, do you know if it runs auto updates? Sometimes when Windows patches security issues in their updates, it will change your brower's security settings if you're using IE, and Windows also has that built in Firewall software that manages the way certain information is stored and downloaded to your computer.

Kindredspirit
09-23-2006, 07:45 AM
Sometimes when Windows patches security issues in their updates, it will change your brower's security settings if you're using IE, and Windows also has that built in Firewall software that manages the way certain information is stored and downloaded to your computer.

Diane this cld very well be your problem. Have you checked it out? The built in Firewall software was a PIA...I disabled Windows Firewall and use a dif one instead as that one seem to interfere with things ~

Worth a try?

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

Marinemom
09-25-2006, 11:38 AM
As of this morning I am hoping that the problem is solved. It has been two whole days now without this problem and I am keeping my fingers crossed that this glitch in my system is over with. We shall see.

Diane

brewmaster15
09-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Glad things look better Diane.. I have been following along and best I can tell.... Your system probably cleared its own cache... Most systems have an automatic time frame they do that...or at a certain point in cache file size...

We'll never really know...but I am relieved that out of all our other members, we did not have this issue....and I am even more relieved that yours appears to have corrected itself.

Thanks, and welcome back.:)

-al