View Full Version : Live Food Question?

White Worm
09-17-2006, 01:57 AM
If I go to the local store and they sell bait, can i feed those red wrigglers and worms to the discus or are there different types? I want to try some to bulk up some picky eaters.

pcsb23
09-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Mike, I've done the same in the UK, fed bait worms to my fish. As far as I know they are just the same. Great source of protein too.

Dave_Discus
09-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Be careful though...you wanna make sure those don't carry anything harmful.

CAGE-RATTLER
09-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Petsmart has the red wigglers and i almost picked some up yesterday but when i opened the container ............. I didnt realize how big they were.

Can you feed them whole like that or do you need to cut them up??

Im also leary of feeding live foods cause you really dont know whats in them ........... but i did try some CBW a few weeks ago and my fish do certainly love them!!

pcsb23
09-17-2006, 11:40 AM
As for red wrigglers containing some sort of pathogen well I guess its possible, unlikely imo that IF they did it could cause harm. The only real risk is how the worms were collected, if they used a chemical to 'lift' them or not. Most if not all, that are bait are clean. They come in all sizes from an inch to 3 or 4 inches. I chop the bigger ones up. Once the fish get a taste for them they guzzle them. If you breed and collect your own there is no risk at all and you can harvest at the inch and just under size too.

LizStreithorst
09-17-2006, 12:16 PM
It might take them a bit before they figure out that the worms are food, not new tank mates. Once they get it though I bet it'll be their favorite food.

Squiggy
09-17-2006, 12:22 PM
so thats what I did wrong....I went to the bait store and bought lures cuz they looked more appetizing....the discus wouldn't touch 'em....:crazy:

got expensive after awhile...and they're hard to vacuum up....

lhforbes12
09-17-2006, 01:52 PM
so thats what I did wrong....I went to the bait store and bought lures cuz they looked more appetizing....the discus wouldn't touch 'em....:crazy:

got expensive after awhile...and they're hard to vacuum up....

Yeah, mine keep getting caught in the stupid hose :-/

Kindredspirit
09-17-2006, 02:08 PM
So ~ I'm thinking Red Wigglers are better than CBW? Or...more safe shall I say? I am wanting to get something live for them lately .....

Ya know I always fed mine CBW for months and months....the thrill of the chase ...plus they loved it!

Then I got paranoid not to mention confused ~ and have not since ~ but I am thinking about it ~ Dan from Aquatic is pretty close to me .....

You guys are always picking on Cali....man....so not fair:) lol!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_2.gif