PDA

View Full Version : Rio Pura?

h2oplantscritters
09-17-2006, 09:58 AM
In a thread on San Merah, I mentioned that I would post a photo of another fish I bought called a Rio Pura. Does anyone have an opinion on the name of this strain? This fish like the San Merah F1 or Rose is from a breeder in Los Banos, CA.

thanx Dan

lhforbes12
09-17-2006, 10:05 AM
<shrug> Looks like an RT to me

Squiggy
09-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Yup...thats a red turq...:D

pcsb23
09-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Dan,

Not sure there is a Rio Pura, there most certainly is a Rio Purus though. Some or most of the discus that come from that region are blue based with striations, indeed some look like turks, wether yours is or not I cannot say.

I would be a bit concerned about its health though, the eye looks cloudy, dull and brown to me from the pic, it may be a bad photo or you could have water quality issues or the fish may have an internal parasite problem. Don't mean to worry you, just be watchful.

Squiggy
09-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Paul,

I looked at this fish a short while before posting. Didn't want to wrongly bust anyone's bubble...But the reason I concluded this was a domestic bred turq is first the enhanced finnage (not found in wilds) and second, it lacks a dominant eyebar that even turq wilds would have...

Joe

pcsb23
09-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Actually Joe, I'm more concerned about its wellbeing than anything else..

CARY_GLdiscus
09-17-2006, 09:43 PM
I agree with Joe,
Looks to be more domestic then wild However there are many of the Red turk lines today that came from rio pura blood lines. Some are still sold under this trade name! even though they are domestic and a bit more fancy they still can be rio puras.

in rio pura a region in the amazon were this type of discus is found happens to be the best place for wild caught full striated discus AKA Red turks

IMO the your discus looks great no matter what he/she is good luck

Cary Gld!

h2oplantscritters
09-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanx for everyones input. What is the best source for determining Discus strains?

Paul, I am watching the bacterial issues with this and the other three new fish. I did seven days of melafix and the slime coat and cloudy eyes have improved. If they do not completely heal during this week, I am contemplating another treatement. I do 35% wcs 3x/wk and all 5 of the existing fish are doing well. The new fish are just starting to eat other things besides CBW and FBW to Mysis, BH, and white mosiquito larvae.

Dan