PDA

View Full Version : I love the blues

used2bBubbles
09-19-2006, 12:30 AM
I have a "thing" for blue discus. Here are a few photos...

Just got a worm feeder and these guys loved it! Note that the small discus in front of the bluer one is really that small.

used2bBubbles
09-19-2006, 12:36 AM
more

In the 2nd picture, I believe, you can see the stripes on the cobalt, which are hardly ever noticeable.

Kenny's Discus
09-19-2006, 01:15 AM
They look very nice Kathi. The bigger ones are very round too and is the guy/gal trying to breed near the driftwood? You be careful my friend!

Kenny

used2bBubbles
09-19-2006, 02:05 AM
Thanks, Kenny! Yea, the one trying to spawn on the driftwood is a she, and she's done it 3x since I've had her. Trouble is, the male BD is kinda fickle; likes the female BD but oh, that spawning cobalt is pretty attractive, too. He guarded the driftwood while she spawned last time. Didn't try to fertilize the eggs, though; he must be a bit too young yet.

Kindredspirit
09-19-2006, 04:14 AM
You do like blue Kathi! Me too ~ they look nice ~

Marie~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_18.gif

Kenny's Discus
09-19-2006, 04:26 AM
Kathi I'm sure you've heard about BD males maturing later than some other strains...I'm not sure it's true or not since I've had BD males fertilizing at the age of less than 1 yr old and other BDs fertilizing much later. Some also never learned no matter how many times they've tried.(not just BDs many other strains as well)

Regardless 3x is still too early to tell. My last BD male did not make his runs during the first 10 spawns(approx.); and then he started to make some runs for the next 10 but always ended up eating them. I did give up on him and the hobbyist who received the pair called me the other day telling me that he finally got frys after 5 tries in his tanks. Altogether it took 25 tries for my BD pair to produce wigglers.:o

Something to think about Kathi? (hint: PATIENCE!)

Best of luck friend,
Kenny

used2bBubbles
09-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Marie!

Yea, Kenny, BDs seem to be behind about everything--growing, maturing, etc. But that's ok; he's one that has very poor eyesight, so I wouldn't want him to actually produce fry.

I had a gorgeous black hybrid angelfish that had a terrible time when it came to fertilizing the eggs. He'd go way off the slate, knock the eggs down, etc. Funny, though, the female was quite patient with him for probably a year or more. Then she had it one day and started beating the snot out of him. Nearly killed him. I put her in a different tank until he healed, put them together, everything was fine until the next spawn, then the same thing. He was just not very mature for her and she had had enough!

I doubt that I'll ever breed discus; my water is too hard and there isn't a big market here where I live. But it is fun having them! Thanks for your comments.

Kindredspirit
09-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Kathi I'm sure you've heard about BD males maturing later than some other strains...
Kenny

Kenny ~ Even slower than the LSS?

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_51.gif

used2bBubbles
09-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Good question, Marie! Thanks for asking it. I'll be anxious to see what Kenny says. My guess would be at about the same rate...

AADiscus
09-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Looking good :D I like blues also.

used2bBubbles
09-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks, Angela! My BT is really getting prettier all the time.

lhforbes12
09-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks, Angela! My BT is really getting prettier all the time.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

used2bBubbles
09-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Wow, that was even faster than I expected!!! You must be bored today, Larry!!!

lhforbes12
09-19-2006, 03:00 PM
At least you seem to be losing your grumpyness today...

CAGE-RATTLER
09-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Very nice .......... the color intensity is gorgeous too.

Just wondering what kinda lighting you use as the not only the blues stand out but also the vibrant red in the eyes too?

poconogal
09-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Bubbs, that's the cobalt you got in the LFS, isn't it? Wow, looking gorgeous!

used2bBubbles
09-19-2006, 04:14 PM
At least you seem to be losing your grumpyness today...

I was grumpy yesterday? :confused: Hmmmmm. Kinda hard to tell when you're always grumpy, isn't it???? :p

used2bBubbles
09-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Very nice .......... the color intensity is gorgeous too.

Just wondering what kinda lighting you use as the not only the blues stand out but also the vibrant red in the eyes too?

Thanks! You know, I can't honestly tell you because it's an old strip light that I haven't used in a while. It may be one that got a replacement bulb that I hated at first, because it made my angelfish look kinda strange.... But yes, I do think it helps intensify the color, and as I was saying before Larry groaned, my BLUE turquoise seems to have really good coloring right now.

Yes, Connie, that is my cobalt from the lfs! She is doing quite well, too. Thanks!

lhforbes12
09-19-2006, 04:36 PM
I was grumpy yesterday? :confused: Hmmmmm. Kinda hard to tell when you're always grumpy, isn't it???? :p

Hey! I resemble that remark!

used2bBubbles
09-19-2006, 04:43 PM
LOL :D

Kenny's Discus
09-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi Marie & Kathi - I'm no expert just speaking from experience. If you have to compare the growth rate of BDs with LSSs, IMHO LSSs will tend to grow slower because they are hybrids(snakes). They also tend to be a little(just a little) weaker as compared to other traditional strains like BT, RT, Pigeon, MRs, etc...but under a good hobbyist's care(enough WCs, good nutrition, good tank hygiene) they shouldn't be much more difficult to raise than other strains. JMO

Kenny

used2bBubbles
09-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks, Kenny, that helps!