PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice Please!

Kindredspirit
09-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Hey Guys ~ Here is the deal:

See the discus with the arrow? ....the Golden x ...he is my stunted runt of 13months ~ anyways....I put him in with my new babies....to help them along and plus he couldn't run with the big boys and had to stay on the porch ~

So ~

He is in this tank and he is sooooooooo F* mean guys! He bullies all of them esp the LSS ....really bad! And the LSS is so young~bigger... but only 5-6 months!

I cld not take it so I took him out last night and put him back in with the big boys for an attitude adjustment ~ but then the LSS was ramming the hell out of the really MG and the Bd and Wb!

The Worlds' Goin To Hell In A Handbasket I'm tellin ya!

So I put him back in with these babies and he is worse than ever! I am really worried about the LSS now ~ really ....

Catch 22 ~

I want to pop him at times:mad: I know there is always a low man on the totem pole but this is sad and I do not know who shld get bullied more ...the LSS or the three little ones??

What Wld You Do?

Thanks Guys!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_9_8.gif

used2bBubbles
09-19-2006, 12:53 AM
Oh, Marie, sometimes nature can be so cruel. Then at times, we mimick nature...I knew several guys who were very short and mean little cusses. Maybe it's because they know they're short and feel inferior.

One of my BDs used to think she was the queen of the tank at meal time; she'd go after any of the little ones when they'd try to eat. So I got out one of my big nets and netted her for a while. Just held her in place, not out of the water, but right where she was. She got real ticked, but the others could eat. It happened a few times after that, and I did the same thing, making sure I showed her the net first.

Now when they eat, she minds her own business...most of the time. Especially when I show her the net!

I'm not saying it would work with your little squirt, but it might help adjust his attitude some...then again, maybe not! But it won't cost you anything to try...?

White Worm
09-19-2006, 12:59 AM
I just show em the frying pan.

April
09-19-2006, 01:28 AM
find her a home for someone who has a planted tank or something....
cant keep them all...she might stress out the young ones..and they need to be able to eat well to grow well.

Kenny's Discus
09-19-2006, 01:34 AM
Marie, try to put something in the middle of the tank(e.g. your sponge filter, artificial plants, etc...) so that they don't get to face each other like every sec of the day. It's not gonna totally stop the fights but should help some.

Kenny

Kindredspirit
09-19-2006, 04:01 AM
I'm not saying it would work with your little squirt, but it might help adjust his attitude some...then again, maybe not! But it won't cost you anything to try...?

Thanks Kathi ~ something to consider ~

I just show em the frying pan.

I thought of this;) More than once Mike ~

find her a home for someone who has a planted tank or something....
cant keep them all...she might stress out the young ones..and they need to be able to eat well to grow well.

...and this too ~ So April you are saying that to perhaps go with getting rid of the Golden... you are absolutely right....you can not keep them all ~

Marie, try to put something in the middle of the tank(e.g. your sponge filter, artificial plants, etc...) so that they don't get to face each other like every sec of the day. It's not gonna totally stop the fights but should help some.Kenny

That is an idea ~ Thanks Kenny~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_18.gif

Kenny's Discus
09-19-2006, 04:10 AM
;) Oh Marie how could I forget this: you can add more fish to spread out the aggression. Preferably simiar size ones. It really would work.

Kenny

Kindredspirit
09-19-2006, 04:21 AM
....but ....but....that is what got me into this mess! I added the Golden x for variety of reasons....

and lookie:(

I do not have any more small ones to add ~

NO....OH No! You are not thinking.....? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_1.gif

Kenny's Discus
09-19-2006, 04:32 AM
Let me think Marie...:p You should be receiving a call some time tomo.:D

By adding just 1 more fish is not enough to spread out the aggression IMHO. Remember when you were here you never saw any fighting in my tanks? I think I have 10-15 fish in each tank and they're too busy competing for food. :D

You don't need to add that many Marie; I'd say 6-8 would probably be enough to calm most of them down.

Kenny

Kenny's Discus
09-19-2006, 04:40 AM
Oh, Marie, sometimes nature can be so cruel. Then at times, we mimick nature...I knew several guys who were very short and mean little cusses. Maybe it's because they know they're short and feel inferior.

One of my BDs used to think she was the queen of the tank at meal time; she'd go after any of the little ones when they'd try to eat. So I got out one of my big nets and netted her for a while. Just held her in place, not out of the water, but right where she was. She got real ticked, but the others could eat. It happened a few times after that, and I did the same thing, making sure I showed her the net first.

Now when they eat, she minds her own business...most of the time. Especially when I show her the net!

Kathi - what you did with the net & your fish showed that you're a true discus lover.(the die-hard type:D) Didn't you notice that?

Kenny

poconogal
09-19-2006, 07:56 AM
....but ....but....that is what got me into this mess! I added the Golden x for variety of reasons....

and lookie:(

I do not have any more small ones to add ~

NO....OH No! You are not thinking.....? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_1.gif

Knowing Kenny, YES he IS thinking... aren't you, Kenny? :idea2:
you might as well get things ready for a trip to Kenny's, Marie...
OR - you know my saying: fish sandwich, I say!

Actually I had something like that going on, but with some tall plastic plants in the corners, there were hiding spots. In a few weeks, about 2-3, most of the aggression stopped. If it didn't I would have had to get rid of my BD, she was sooooo mean.

steve.ryall
09-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Hi Marie,

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago in my tank when I introduced my first Red Diamod. My RSG was horrific to her, and badly scared her sides, I was fuming :mad: after chatting to Paul who I got my fish from, he suggested that I pull the aggressive RSG, and completely re-arrange the tank layout, (move bogwood and stuff) to make a completely new looking environment, then after a week I reintroduced the RSG and bingo! Peace!! :angel: A new order had been made and all was well again.
HTH
S~

lhforbes12
09-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi Marie,

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago in my tank when I introduced my first Red Diamod. My RSG was horrific to her, and badly scared her sides, I was fuming :mad: after chatting to Paul who I got my fish from, he suggested that I pull the aggressive RSG, and completely re-arrange the tank layout, (move bogwood and stuff) to make a completely new looking environment, then after a week I reintroduced the RSG and bingo! Peace!! :angel: A new order had been made and all was well again.
HTH
S~

This is what I would do, but I would go even further. Remove ALL of them temporarily to another tank. It doesn't need to be for a long time, an hour or so will do. Rearrange their tank and then put them all back in. You'll be amazed at what happens. They will all be lost for a short while and it will give everyone a better chance to establish their personal territory.

AmberC
09-19-2006, 11:14 AM
what would you do

I personally would just let them be and let them work it out. I think they are just working out the pecking order. Things were changed up on them. I think its normal and to be expected. Perhaps move around the deco or add some more pots or something to change things up on them more so perhaps they dont concentrate on eachother or the new fish kwim?

used2bBubbles
09-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Kathi - what you did with the net & your fish showed that you're a true discus lover.(the die-hard type:D) Didn't you notice that?

Kenny

Hmmm. Kenny, I'm not sure I get what you mean....

Kathi

Kindredspirit
09-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Hi Marie,

HTH
S~

But Steve this is a BB and I don't want to add anything else in there! I have two plants and then the Ram Condo....I need to keep this tank simple....for peace of mind....

I will re-arrange what I do have in there ~ Thank You!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

Kindredspirit
09-19-2006, 01:39 PM
This is what I would do, but I would go even further. Remove ALL of them temporarily to another tank. It doesn't need to be for a long time, an hour or so will do. Rearrange their tank and then put them all back in. You'll be amazed at what happens. They will all be lost for a short while and it will give everyone a better chance to establish their personal territory.

I don't really wanna take them all out Larry ~ They are kinda in QT remember? The runted stunted one is like my 'sacrifical lamb'....l do not think these fish have anything ....if anything knocks off this fish it will be moving him back and forth! lol!

And to move things around in this tank wld take all of four seconds:o

(Larry....my computer is still doing that "F2" thing:angry:)

Kindredspirit
09-19-2006, 01:40 PM
I still do not know what I am doing about this:(

AADiscus
09-19-2006, 02:04 PM
You could always get one of those breeder hangers for the inside of the tank. You know the ones like you would use for guppies or something like that. Put that fish in there for a couple days doing nothing but watching the other fish swim around happy in the tank. lol

lhforbes12
09-19-2006, 02:34 PM

Kathi

Hmmmmm, he was paying you a compliment Kathi, are you trying to suggest that you don't hear enough of those?

<--------- Believes Kathi may need a few more fwaps

used2bBubbles
09-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Yea, that would be kinda like jail!!! Or um "behavior adjustment." :)

Ryan
09-19-2006, 03:32 PM
So the question is... did you break quarantine? By moving the runt into a tank with new fish, and then back into a tank with your old fish, did you expose them to something that the new fish could have? And vice versa?

Discus fight. It's just something they do. If the aggression gets bad, you can add a few more fish to settle it out, or change the tank around a bit to confuse them and maybe curb their aggression.

I received 10 fish and none of them have fought aggressively. They chase and peck, but that is not out of the realm of discus behavior, especially for young fish.

It's my opinion that continually moving them around will not give them time to settle into a pecking order, and they'll constantly be trying to establish one. If you take a fish out or move a new one in, you once again upset the balance and they have to start all over to account for the new fish (or the lack of a previously existing fish).

Just my 0.02,
Ryan

Squiggy
09-19-2006, 03:39 PM
I agree, Ryan...Sometimes you just have to let discus be discus.

Joe

lhforbes12
09-19-2006, 03:42 PM
I don't really wanna take them all out Larry ~ They are kinda in QT remember? The runted stunted one is like my 'sacrifical lamb'....l do not think these fish have anything ....if anything knocks off this fish it will be moving him back and forth! lol!

And to move things around in this tank wld take all of four seconds:o

(Larry....my computer is still doing that "F2" thing:angry:)

Marie,
As far as the computer goes:
We fixed it so the fan now runs by cleaning the holes, but it seems that the sensors are still dirty. My best advice is to try cleaning all 4 holes again and if you have some WD-40 give a small shot of it in the holes after you clean them as best you can. That will most likely solve that problem for you, if not, call or PM me and we'll try something else. (Most likely throwing it out the window)

used2bBubbles
09-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Don't ya just love it when we have computer problems, Larry?

Kindredspirit
09-19-2006, 05:57 PM
You could always get one of those breeder hangers for the inside of the tank. You know the ones like you would use for guppies or something like that. Put that fish in there for a couple days doing nothing but watching the other fish swim around happy in the tank. lol

That is an idea Angela ~ Im guessing you have gone this route? Thank you!

So the question is... did you break quarantine?Ryan

Well ~ I guess you cld say I did Ryan ~ Two of these fish I had in QT for almost five weeks...and the other two for almost three....both from the same source~

Only a few days ago I added the runt ~

None of these guys are fighting aggressively....not at all Ryan ~ Just that the runt is ramming the LSS....hard....when he wants to eat ~ there is no fighting per se'~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

Kenny's Discus
09-20-2006, 03:37 AM

Kathi

I'd say only the very "addicted" discus hobbyists would try to solve a problem like that by netting out 1 fish up temporarily and let the others eat. It takes too much effort...see what I mean now Kathi?

Thanks Larry...for the first part I mean.:D

Kenny

used2bBubbles
09-20-2006, 08:47 AM
I'd say only the very "addicted" discus hobbyists would try to solve a problem like that by netting out 1 fish up temporarily and let the others eat. It takes too much effort...see what I mean now Kathi?

Kenny

OH....! Sorry, I was a bit slow there--NO COMMENTS, LARRY--I've got my hammer and whip out! Thanks, Kenny. That's really nice of you to say that. :)

used2bBubbles
09-20-2006, 08:49 AM
Hmmmmm, he was paying you a compliment Kathi, are you trying to suggest that you don't hear enough of those?

<--------- Believes Kathi may need a few more fwaps

LARRY!!! And when WAS the last time you paid me a compliment instead of growled at me????

Sorry, Kenny, sometimes I don't always recognize compliments.

(oh Larry? Come here, I have something for you...:whip:)

Kindredspirit
09-21-2006, 02:39 PM

Brilliant Idea Kathi!! Working like a charm!! Just did it! He is pissed to say the least...but the LSS is happy and swimming and eating without him on his tail ~ which btw was looking nipped:mad:

How did you ever come up with this idea? I love you!!

Kenny's Discus
09-21-2006, 04:21 PM
What's with all this "attitude adjustment" thing?:D I think I'll start trying it on all my tanks but will need Marie's & Kathi's help. Bring your nets gals!

Kenny

used2bBubbles
09-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Brilliant Idea Kathi!! Working like a charm!! Just did it! He is pissed to say the least...but the LSS is happy and swimming and eating without him on his tail ~ which btw was looking nipped:mad:

How did you ever come up with this idea? I love you!!

Aw, geez, Marie, now you've got me all embarrassed!!! I guess the old saying that "Necessity is the mother of invention" is true. I was desperate and didn't know what else to do.

I am SO glad it worked for you! It's horrible when other fish can't eat because of a bully, so I'm glad it is working!!

You GO, girl! You are a sweetheart!