PDA

View Full Version : Cobalt blues

Lisachromis
09-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Ok, I've got a question. Is this strain a hybrid one or is it something that's just been linebred from something? I'd like to know to give someone their BAP points for our club.

Is it S. aequifasciata? aequifasciata x haraldi?

Does anyone know for sure?

Squiggy
09-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Lisa...

If I remember correctly, the original cobalts came from watley. Gabe may be able to shed some light on that.

Joe

Lisachromis
09-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks Joe. I'll wait and hope to hear more.

brewmaster15
09-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi Lisa,
With Discus, this is difficult question..most people can't even agree on the number of Species of Discus.:)

It may help here if you can explain exactly what your system requires for breeding awards..

In my mind...all domestics are tecnically hybrids...having been derived from wild stock and crosses.. IMO, The only true strains are the wilds...brown, green, blue and heckel...even these interbred where they overlap and may be nothing more Than populations of the same species."color morphs"

There are several domestic lines of Discus that have been around..awhile.... These lines include... red turqs or Turqs in general, cobalts, and Blue Diamonds, ...to that list I think you could add PBs, and probably now the mellons...again thats just my opinion.

I think you may want to look at the percentage of offspring your breeder has that look like their parent..Thats a good indication of the lineage.

hth,
al

Lisachromis
09-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Well... the ones I saw looked like their parents. Basically they threw all cobalt blues. Generally speaking we like purebred fish for our BAP. Some fish are a problem, like swordtails, platies and of course, discus. I was kind of hoping that they'd be basically a linebred form of aequifasciata, or at least that's the majority of the makeup of the fish. That way I could tell them, it should be classed as S. aequifasciata (or whatever makes up the fishes' genetics). The only really obvious species is Heckel being S. discus.

CARY_GLdiscus
09-21-2006, 11:53 PM
I BELIEVE WHAT BREW IS SAYING!

That most Colbalts Today are a bit of every Speices! I highly Dought You will find the first true colbalts around anymore IMO most if not all have been outcrossed.

hth
Gld

Rod
09-22-2006, 06:31 AM
Cobalt blues were originally produced by crossing line bred solid green aequifaciata with haraldi discus. So yes they are hybrids. I still own an original strain of pure cobalt discus i bought nearly 20 years ago and have only bred them into f4 over that time, they are indeed rare in pure form but can be found if you search hard enough. The problem with outcrossing the cobalt line is a lose of the metalic sheen which takes a lot of skill and tank space to bring to the new line.

Lisachromis
09-22-2006, 11:55 AM
I suspected as much. I do know that these particular cobalt blues are the hifin cobalt blues that Cary was selling a few years ago.

April
09-22-2006, 09:06 PM
ill take 12 rod . : )

Rod
09-24-2006, 03:12 AM
Here you go April :D

Andrew Soh
09-24-2006, 05:43 AM
Hello Lisa,

Just throwing my thoughts into this discussion.

The guys here are right. Cobalt blue could be the result of a cross between the blue and the green (S.H + S.A.A,). Its feature is an almost full or full turquoise color with blue stripes on the face and with the genetic 9 vertical black bars.

Though Blue diamond may carry some gene from the Cobalt blue, the Blue diamond has evolved as a totally different strain as it is a mutation and the barless trait is recessive while Cobalt blue is fairly dominant.

Cheers,

Andrew:angel:

alex_m
09-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Rod,

very nice indeed.

alex

Timbo
09-24-2006, 02:30 PM
hi Lisa!

sorry, just wanted to say to Rod "nice fish!"

because they are!