PDA

View Full Version : Color and Maturity

h2oplantscritters
09-23-2006, 07:08 AM
I have had this fish for over six months and it has grown about 1/2 inch. I have noticed its color has intensified over the months. Is that associated with maturity or acclimation to the tank etc.?

Will it continue to gain color? It has changed dramatically espeically in the last couple of months.

Dan

Lee C
09-23-2006, 08:14 AM
I have had this fish for over six months and it has grown about 1/2 inch. I have noticed its color has intensified over the months. Is that associated with maturity or acclimation to the tank etc.?

Will it continue to gain color? It has changed dramatically espeically in the last couple of months.

Dan

Most likely a combination, plus good food and clean water. Usually the females get more intense colors with maturity than the males. In darker substrate tanks with cover such as plants, the discus will get deeper coloring.
Just don't change what you are doing now! Good job!

Squiggy
09-23-2006, 10:39 AM
wow...Is that the same fish you had posted earlier as a san merah? If so, it looks a whole lot better now...:thumbsup:

Joe

h2oplantscritters
09-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanx Lee.

No Joe this is one of the Blues I started with. The whatever(San Merah/Rose) is looking alot better. I will get a photo of her when the lights are full on.

Dan

h2oplantscritters
09-23-2006, 11:43 PM
Here is the same fish (San Merah/Rose) from a couple of weeks ago. She is eating well and has coupled up with the a large (RST/Rio Pura) that I got at the same time.

Also, the Green has been in the tank the same as the Blue and has gotten more red spots and the blue color is extending up the body. Just like the Blue's more intense colors this has been happening over the last couple of months.

What distinguishes a Green from a Tefe? Just the number of spots?

Dan

Timbo
09-24-2006, 08:02 AM
What distinguishes a Green from a Tefe? Just the number of spots?

i believe its called Tefe if it is caught/originally from the Tefe River. you can have Tefe greens, Tefe Spotted Green, browns...

*edit* i think there is a Tefe Lake as well

h2oplantscritters
09-24-2006, 06:01 PM
That makes sense