PDA

View Full Version : Water Change visual aid?

sum1serin
09-24-2006, 10:56 PM
I'm trying to see how people attach a hose to a powerhead..... I've never really seen a powerhead in person, but I'm assuming it pivots? But most of them seem flat?

So, what I'm trying to do is figure a way to pump water from a trash can into my tank for water changes.... what do you suggest I need? Since I really want to give up on the bucket Brigade!

Thank you!

Squiggy
09-24-2006, 11:45 PM
I use a Rio 2100 that I got from Big Al's for about $25. It comes with an assortment of useful fittings... one of which is a standard hose connection that the Python hooks up to. Depending on the height of your tank, many power heads don't seem to be very efficient for refill. Even the 2100 is a bit slow...but I think its a good compromise so as not to create a whirlpool in the tank while filling..

hth

Joe

Timbo
09-25-2006, 07:48 AM
i use this powerhead (with 3/4" clear tubing i got from Home Depot, fits the output spout of the powerhead nicely) in my barrel for pumping to the tanks. http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F64AX/Class/Aquarium+Power+Heads/T1/F64AX+0171+0263/EDP/9471/Itemdy00.aspx

its ok...refills 30 gallons in about 4-5 minutes. if i was going to replace it, i'd prolly go with a Mag pump however, as powerheads werent really designed for pumping against a head, and the Mag drives have different hose adapters avail. http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F64CX/Class/Aquarium+Water+Pumps/T1/F64CX+0364+0110/EDP/8781/Itemdy00.aspx

April
09-25-2006, 10:47 AM
i use a magdrive pond pump with a length of rubber hose .you can find a fitting at home depot and use one of those hoses for rv homes that are safe fro drinking out of. the fitting that screws on does slow down the flow a bit. i just crammed mine on the end . it has a sponge that fits over the intake so you dont make circles on the fish when you suck . i just move mine along the bottom like a vacuum to drain the tanks and clean the bottom...then you could reverse it to drain the storage into the tank. its powerful and fast.

sum1serin
09-25-2006, 01:12 PM
I got myself a rubbermaid container that is a 50 gal size and a pond pump 130gph, has a head height of 4'-6' Think that should do fine for pushing across a 5f ground span and then up into a 55 on a regular wrought iron stand? Or do you think I should just return that pump?

Squiggy
09-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Sounds like you'll be in the grey zone regarding head height...but I would imagine you'll have a decent flow....jmo

Joe

sum1serin
09-25-2006, 02:03 PM
I mean, I'm not looking for refilling super fast... Just to stop with the bucket Brigade.. hehe. I know I could use the muscles.. but that's just way too much work. lol.

April
09-25-2006, 03:00 PM
i used to have the biggest powerhead from aquaclear. it wasnt good enough. going from the rubbermaid up to the top of the tank..was barely making it and slow. your better off returning it and getting a magdrive one. far more efficient. its not just up to the wrought iron..its to the top of the tank and down . try it..if not..clean it up and return in the box.

sum1serin
09-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Okie dokie... I'll return it tomorrow or tonight. Have an Idea of what size mag drive?

kjmillerfw
09-25-2006, 06:41 PM
I use a sump pump from Lowe's/Home Depot. You just screw on a regular size garden hose or python hose and it will drain almost all of the water in the barrel. Last time I checked they run about $65 to $75.

I use it with this hose setup that has an on/off valve at the PVC connection.

brewmaster15
09-25-2006, 08:57 PM
John at Jehmco.com has a bunch of pumps...

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Water_Pumps___Powerheads/water_pumps___powerheads.html

I use this one from him to pump my Ro water to the tanks........
JSSSP = $49.75
Super Safety Siphon
w/ 500gph pump and 3/4” hose barb.
Super hi-flow will drain 125 gallon tank halfway in about
5 minutes!
http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Safety_Siphon_Aquarium_Drain/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html

hth,
al

crazie.eddie
09-26-2006, 02:55 AM
Okie dokie... I'll return it tomorrow or tonight. Have an Idea of what size mag drive?

I guess it would depend on the height and distance of the water storage container and the tanks. If the storage container was like 5' away and the tank only about 4' high, then a Mag 300 would work very well. But if the distance is like 75' and the tank is the next floor up, then you should look to getting at least an 1800 or so.

sum1serin
09-26-2006, 08:50 AM
it's like.. 7.5 feet away and I guess 4.5 feet tall or even 5' tall.... still a 300?

CAGE-RATTLER
09-26-2006, 01:25 PM
The bigger the pump the better IMO!!

You can always restrict the out-flow of a pump to decrease the amount water coming out ........ but you cant do anything to make the water come out faster on a smaller pump.

Ive heard of some that use 1500 GPH and higher pumps for draining and filling.

I guess it all depends how fast you want to drain or fill.

300 gph isnt much at all and when you go up 5 feet its going to be alot less.

I had a 250gph pump and it was like watching grass grow while filling a 55 with a head height of 3 feet. Water from my tap would fill quicker!

roakes
07-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Thank you Brewmaster15 for the links to the Jehmco website. They have just what I have been looking for. Nice folks. Helped me select the right equipment for my application (what a relief). Can't wait to try it out on my next water change! The bucket brigade is really pretty old after 3 years and I am looking to upgrade from my 55 gallon to a 90 gallon tank. Improving my water change method is absolutely essential before I go to a larger tank. Thanks again.

Don Trinko
07-02-2007, 02:45 PM
I use a smaller pump than most. It takes abought 30 minutes to pump 15 gallons. I prefer slow incase the water parameters are different. I also have a tank downstairs that requires 50' of hose. (storage is upstairs) I can pump twice that fast if I use bigger hose. I use 3/8" hose.The smaller hose is cheaper. Funny how I'll spend $50+ per fish and worry abought the price of the hose!! Don T.

mmorris
07-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Thank you Brewmaster15

Thank you, Roakes, for that verrrry convenient bump!;)
Martha

SSteino86
07-10-2007, 03:22 AM
For my non-discus water changes, I siphon about 45 gallons out of my 125 into a Rubbermaid trash can that has wheels on it. I used to drag his heavy can to the drain and pump the waste water down the drain.

Because my water parameters are pretty stable, I refill directly from the faucet through a hose. I use the touch test to make sure the temps are similar and then fill er up.

I realized that instead of pumping water out of my garbage can, I could just use the siphon created by turning off the hose, to drain my garbage can for me. I just crimp the hose for a moment while the water is still running, and transfer it to my garbage can full of waste water. When I turn the water off and unscrew the hose from the faucet, by simply placing the hose into my basement floor drain, a siphon is created that drains 95% of the water from my garbage can.

It's not very fast, but if you make sure the hose is in place you can walk away and forget about it.

I don't even want to admit how long I pulled the can around before I figured this out... :p

Apistomaster
07-11-2007, 12:29 PM
It is really hard to go wrong with a MagDrive pump. I use the MagDrive 9.5. This has enough head pressure to reach the highest top row which is about 6.5 feet from floor to top to the highest tank. It is easy to place a nylon garden hose adapter($1.00) on the pump outlet to use it with a RV water hose(food safe). For a couple dollars more one can place a ball valve near the business end so you have infinite flow rate control. It allows the source to be placed 50 feet from the tanks. MagDrive 9.5 pumps run $60 to $70. Less powerful models might be fine depending on your needs. I rather have extra capacity than run short.

mmorris
07-11-2007, 07:00 PM
John at Jehmco.com has a bunch of pumps...

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Water_Pumps___Powerheads/water_pumps___powerheads.html
I use this one from him to pump my Ro water to the tanks........
JSSSP = $49.75
Super Safety Siphon
w/ 500gph pump and 3/4” hose barb.
Super hi-flow will drain 125 gallon tank halfway in about
5 minutes!
http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Safety_Siphon_Aquarium_Drain/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html
hth,
al

I just purchased this one. I like the fact that it can pump up the stairs where I have one more tank. They gave me a free adapter when I bought it so the pump could be hooked up to my python. Martha