PDA

View Full Version : Breeding cones with traps

crazie.eddie
09-27-2006, 04:34 AM
I've seen breeding cones that have the little traps on the bottom, for the eggs that don't stay on the cone, to fall on. That way the fallen eggs don't end up on the subtrate or tank bottom. I was wondering if these are really necessary? Will the discus pick up any fallen eggs they see and put them back up?

Tony_S
09-27-2006, 06:32 AM
In my own experience, most good pairs will try to 'rescue' both unhatched eggs and newly hatched fry that become detached from the cone. But, with that said...I also share the opinion that in most cases, pre-swimming fry that won't stick to the cone are defective in some way, shape or form anyways and don't attach to the parents properly either....so I typically never worry about them to begin with...Only the strong survive.

Tony

billeagan
09-28-2006, 07:39 PM
I agree with Tony. For a while I put a coffee saucer under the cone, but I did not see a benefit as the parents got most of them either way.

Jessie555
09-28-2006, 08:31 PM
In my own experience, most good pairs will try to 'rescue' both unhatched eggs and newly hatched fry that become detached from the cone. But, with that said...I also share the opinion that in most cases, pre-swimming fry that won't stick to the cone are defective in some way, shape or form anyways and don't attach to the parents properly either....so I typically never worry about them to begin with...Only the strong survive.

Tony

The "traps" are more for tanks with a sand or what ever bottom, in a bare bottom you don't need them,

"Jessie"

crazie.eddie
09-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Ok. Cool. I have no intentions of breeding them, but in case they do, at least I know my best options. Thanks.