PDA

View Full Version : Via-Aqua heater failure

RobMc
09-29-2006, 10:20 AM
:mad: I just had a nearly new 300W Via-Aqua titanium heater completely quit on me--and the pilot light was still on! Fortunately it was on my water barrel and not a tank of fish, but I am extremely disappointed in both the short life and the fact that if it had been on a tank, the pilot light would not have warned me of the failure. Hey, whats the use of having a pilot light if it doesn't tell you that the heat is off? I didn't think such a thing was even possible. Shouldn't the pilot be on the same circuit as the heating element? Its back to Vsi-Therm for me!

Rob

mmorris
09-29-2006, 12:15 PM
I'm fed up with heaters period. I put a new 250 Visitherm Stealth in the tank yesterday, set the dial for 86 and then this morning, two minutes before I had to shoot out the door for work, I saw that the temp. was almost 92. I have another heater in the tank but that one underheats so I was just using it as a backup. A previous heater had condensation and was just removed. I didn't have time this morning to work out which heater was the problem. I unplugged the backup and turned the dial down to 82 on the new one but now I am on pins and needles, waiting until it is time for me to go home and see if all is well. I wish I had had an hour or so to really examine the heaters and see what was going on. Lets keep our fingers crossed! I love my little culls. Martha

poconogal
09-29-2006, 12:52 PM
I went thru it 15 years ago. Nothing's changed with heaters!

Otto Heater Controller - here's the link:

http://www.angelsplus.com/Heater.htm

sleonard
09-29-2006, 12:56 PM
I have yet to buy a heater of any brand for which the dial temp was accurate within 5 degrees.

If I am installing a new heater in a new tank I set it low and wait for the tank temps to stabilize and then start fine-tuning it before I put fish in.

If installing into a running tank that is already at a stabile temp I adjust the dial until the light comes on and then back it off a hair.

I never, ever trust the temp on the dial.

Scott

diamond_discus
09-29-2006, 01:05 PM
I never trust the dials on the heater ... I always put at least two different types of themostat in my tanks ... and also use two heaters. Then I kept adjusting the dials until both themostat report the same temperature that I want.

tpl*co
09-29-2006, 01:26 PM
I went thru it 15 years ago. Nothing's changed with heaters!

Otto Heater Controller - here's the link:

http://www.angelsplus.com/Heater.htm

On the heater controller, how does it work and how do you attach it to the heater? How do you know it won't fail? (or in case it fails?)

Tina

poconogal
09-29-2006, 02:05 PM
On the heater controller, how does it work and how do you attach it to the heater? How do you know it won't fail? (or in case it fails?)

Tina
You dial your heater up as high as it will go, then plug the heater into the controller. You place the controller's probe into your tank, dial up the temp you want on the controller and plug the controller into an electric outlet. The controller will now be controlling the heater.

I've never had a problem with mine and my first one is 13 years old. It still accurately maintains the temp. Also, most of the time I hear about people's heaters overheating the tank and cooking their fish. This particular controller, from what I've read, has a safety shut off at 95 degrees. I suppose anything can fail eventually, but I have a lot of faith in these controllers.

tpl*co
09-29-2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks Poconogal,

How many heaters can you plug into it? Does it just accept a regular receptical plug of the heater? How long is the cord for the censor and the power cord?

Tina

mmorris
09-29-2006, 03:00 PM
I adjust the dial until the light comes on and then back it off a hair.

Scott

Scott- no light on this one. Martha

crazie.eddie
09-29-2006, 03:42 PM
:mad: I just had a nearly new 300W Via-Aqua titanium heater completely quit on me--and the pilot light was still on! Fortunately it was on my water barrel and not a tank of fish, but I am extremely disappointed in both the short life and the fact that if it had been on a tank, the pilot light would not have warned me of the failure. Hey, whats the use of having a pilot light if it doesn't tell you that the heat is off? I didn't think such a thing was even possible. Shouldn't the pilot be on the same circuit as the heating element? Its back to Vsi-Therm for me!

Rob

Sorry to hear that. Maybe the controller got wet?

CAGE-RATTLER
09-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Scott- no light on this one. Martha

Thats why i wont buy a stealth!

Or another via aqua ........... mine died within 3 months.

I replaced it with a rena cal and its been working fine now for 6 months ... knock on wood!

I also have some ebo jager (blue caps) that have been problem free for over a year now.

mmorris
09-29-2006, 11:48 PM
Thats why i wont buy a stealth!

I see why! I've always had a little light to observe before. Well, the tank was at 82 degrees when I got home, which is where I set the new heater this a.m. Poor fish. A 10 degree drop. I'm bringing it back up a bit. They are eating fine and so I hope nothing negative develops out of it. You'd think that if they can put a man on the moon they could make a heater...well, ah...kinda makes me think maybe they didn't!:idea2: Martha

Gen
09-30-2006, 01:08 AM
The external thermal heater from Hydor has been working extremely well for me for the past year. you will have to connect this to a cannister filter. will always be +/- 1 degree. A lot of people on DAAH also agree that it's reliable and accurate.

Marinemom
09-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Can you buy the controllers for the heaters at the local fish store or do you have to order them from somewhere? If so, where? After what happened to my discus last April due to the heater malfuntioning and staying stuck in the on position, I don't want to take any more chances.

Diane

Jarrod
10-01-2006, 04:29 AM
I am currently using 2 Via Aqua ss heaters and have been for about the past 3-4 months. They have been working exceptionally well for me so far. I also have 2 visi therm stealths in 2 other tanks.The visitherms work ok as well....but my issue with them is that they have no indicator lite to give an idication of whether the heater is working or not. The via aquas have kept my 55 gal tanks temps rock steady so far anyway. I plan on going all Via Aquas should the visi therms give me any problems. HMHO is all.
George

poconogal
10-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks Poconogal,

How many heaters can you plug into it? Does it just accept a regular receptical plug of the heater? How long is the cord for the censor and the power cord?

Tina
Tina, it accepts the regular heater plug. I got one of those splitters that you can plug 2 things into and my controller is a 500W controller. So I can plug 2 heaters into it, in one tank, as long as the heater wattage does not exceed 500W. The power cord is pretty long, exactly how long I don't know, but it goes from inside one end of my cabinet to the outlet that's at the other end (3 ft.) and there is extra cord left. Same goes for the sensor, goes from the cabinet to the top of my tank, then 1/2 way down into the tank, on the opposite end of the tank. My tank is 24" tall. BTW, the controller is only about $15.00 plus shipping.

Can you buy the controllers for the heaters at the local fish store or do you have to order them from somewhere? If so, where? After what happened to my discus last April due to the heater malfuntioning and staying stuck in the on position, I don't want to take any more chances.

Diane
Diane, I've never seen them in any stores, even 13 years ago, I had to mail order it.

Here's a link: http://www.angelsplus.com/Heater.htm

or google Otto aquarium and it will take you their site. Awhile back they were having a 50% off sale, which put the price around $15.00, the same price that the above link has them for.

AND, for anyone that has a Stealth heater, with no light to let you know its working, the controller has 2 indicator lights, a green one that shows that it has power, and a red one that is the pilot light. (I have Stealths).

tpl*co
10-01-2006, 08:14 AM
Tina, it accepts the regular heater plug. I got one of those splitters that you can plug 2 things into and my controller is a 500W controller. So I can plug 2 heaters into it, in one tank, as long as the heater wattage does not exceed 500W. The power cord is pretty long, exactly how long I don't know, but it goes from inside one end of my cabinet to the outlet that's at the other end (3 ft.) and there is extra cord left. Same goes for the sensor, goes from the cabinet to the top of my tank, then 1/2 way down into the tank, on the opposite end of the tank. My tank is 24" tall. BTW, the controller is only about $15.00 plus shipping.

Diane, I've never seen them in any stores, even 13 years ago, I had to mail order it.

Here's a link: http://www.angelsplus.com/Heater.htm

On my 130 gallon aquarium, would the 500 watts be enough (equivalent to 2-250 watt heaters)?

poconogal
10-01-2006, 10:49 AM
On my 130 gallon aquarium, would the 500 watts be enough (equivalent to 2-250 watt heaters)?
If you follow the 5W per gallon rule, it should be 650W. If you follow 3W per gallon, yes, it should be 490W.

Also, the larger the volume of water, the better it holds the heat, so unless it gets really chilly in the room, I'd think that 500W would probably be okay. How cold does the room get? What do you have in there now, Tina?

I'm going to ask Larry and see what he thinks, too!

tpl*co
10-01-2006, 01:15 PM
If you follow the 5W per gallon rule, it should be 650W. If you follow 3W per gallon, yes, it should be 490W.

Also, the larger the volume of water, the better it holds the heat, so unless it gets really chilly in the room, I'd think that 500W would probably be okay. How cold does the room get? What do you have in there now, Tina?

I'm going to ask Larry and see what he thinks, too!

So far, what it has in it now is air, LOL. That's the tank that is supposed to be set up when it gets its stand. I have 2 250 on my 60 gallon now I can transfer. In the winter though the temp can be set at 68-70 though.

Tina

poconogal
10-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Oh, it's THAT one. Well, I just forwarded you Larry's PMd response, but he says that 500W is way more than you need for the 130.

Sorry RobMc, we stole your thread for a little bit.

RobMc
10-02-2006, 09:54 AM
'Sall right, the idea was to start a dialogue about heater malfunctions!

;) Rob

tpl*co
10-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Well, talk about heater malfunctions, I noticed my discus in the 60 were acting funny, put my hand in the water and it was hotter than normal. Read the thermometer and it was 32C! I have the 2 stealths in there and one must have stuck. I turned down the dial on both and did a big water change to bring down the temps. I'm going to watch if it goes up again. I wish those things have some indication if they are on or not!

Tina

tpl*co
10-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Was just checking on that Otto heater controller and it's overheat temp is 95 before it shuts off? That's pretty hot. I've been also checking on an Aquatherm biomedic model but can't find any info on what it's overheat temp cutoff is?

poconogal
10-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Was just checking on that Otto heater controller and it's overheat temp is 95 before it shuts off? That's pretty hot. I've been also checking on an Aquatherm biomedic model but can't find any info on what it's overheat temp cutoff is?
Tina, its not really that hot. Discus are treated for hex at 93 and can take 95. Other fish wouldn't be lucky, but there's no help for that.

lhforbes12
10-02-2006, 11:07 PM
The external thermal heater from Hydor has been working extremely well for me for the past year. you will have to connect this to a cannister filter. will always be +/- 1 degree. A lot of people on DAAH also agree that it's reliable and accurate.

These are on almost all of my tanks. The oldest is about two years old. They keep the temp extremely close to what it is set for. I even have two 75 gallon tanks using the 300 watt models without any problems. They automatically shut off if over heated. They do not use a coil, instead they use a thermo sheet (think rear window defroster). Best heaters I have ever owned and I have owned just about every brand.

lhforbes12
10-02-2006, 11:17 PM
So far, what it has in it now is air, LOL. That's the tank that is supposed to be set up when it gets its stand. I have 2 250 on my 60 gallon now I can transfer. In the winter though the temp can be set at 68-70 though.

Tina

Tina,
I only have one 350 watt heater on the 125, and I like it cold at night (you know where I grew up) so we keep the house heater at 66 at night. No problems at all. I think everyone forgets that water is actually a very good insulator, and the larger the tank the less chance for rapid temp shifts. Following the 5 watt per gallon rule is foolish on a large tank IMO, as a matter of fact my 75's only have 300 watt heaters and they are in the basement and never deviate more then 0.1 degree at any time. (The basement is the coldest part of our house)

poconogal
10-03-2006, 07:51 AM
These are on almost all of my tanks. The oldest is about two years old. They keep the temp extremely close to what it is set for. I even have two 75 gallon tanks using the 300 watt models without any problems. They automatically shut off if over heated. They do not use a coil, instead they use a thermo sheet (think rear window defroster). Best heaters I have ever owned and I have owned just about every brand.
Larry, I didn't know the Hydor ETH has a shut off if overheated. That's good to know. I know many people really like this heater, but the in tank models seem to stink. I can't understand why the canister model is so good and the in tanks ones are so bad!

Tina, that's what I just bought for my new tank and XP3, and I followed Larry's advice about 300W for a 75g tank. I shall see how it works in my house, where the temp is at 65 for about 16 hours of the day during the winter, but I do think that once the 75 gallons of water is heated, it will hold the heat. Of course you need a canister filter for this heater, though.

tpl*co
10-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Larry, I didn't know the Hydor ETH has a shut off if overheated. That's good to know. I know many people really like this heater, but the in tank models seem to stink. I can't understand why the canister model is so good and the in tanks ones are so bad!

Tina, that's what I just bought for my new tank and XP3, and I followed Larry's advise about 300W for a 75g tank. I shall see how it works in my house, where the temp is at 65 for about 16 hours of the day during the winter, but I do think that once the 75 gallons of water is heated, it will hold the heat. Of course you need a canister filter for this heater, though.

I got a Hydor 300 inline too anticipating using my XP3 on the new tank too, but then I killed the media on the XP3 by leaving it off for 36 hours and then decided to get the Fluval FX5 which I'm sure it wouldn't fit on! (that thing is huge, like a mini pool filter, looks really well built though). I'll keep them in reserve just in case ;).

So far, so good, the temp on my tank stabilized with the 2 stealths, had to turn them down after they over heated the tank yesterday. We'll see this afternoon what the temp is.

Tina

deesdiscus
10-03-2006, 09:05 PM
rob,
if the heater is somewhat new you can send it back. i bought all via-aqua heaters when i started it was expensive but i thought titanium and being able to adjust without disturbing the fish was my plan. i had over 20 of them and 14 yes 14 failed on me. i called chewed them out etc... after ..... get this 6 months they replaced the heaters. if it were me i would not recommend via-aqua titanium heaters. think they sent them over seas to be made have like 6 that came with the setups i purchased still working but they found a cheaper way to make them and they are not reliable in my opinion.

if you need the address or number let me know
Derrick