PDA

View Full Version : I JUST DID A 100% WATER CHANGE!

Kindredspirit
10-01-2006, 08:36 PM
....by accident....!! I was answering a Pm.... There they were! FLAT http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_6_25.gif ...lol! I was like.... Heavens To Besty! It had to be but for a min...whew! I have never done a complete 100% wc I don't think~

Ya know tho....I think They liked it:p I did add a little extra Prime too ~ and lost half my heart when I saw them laying there..." umm...Marie...where's our water?" My daughter was like "omg Mom! You've killed them DO something!" lol!

They seem happier! At least I am justifying it that way! There also seemed to be less bubbles ...tiny ones....:confused:

Thought I wld share:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_2.gif

hexed
10-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Well CONGRATULATIONS! on your first 100% water change! Now you can hang with the BIG boys LOL! :D

Kenny's Discus
10-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Hey George(Jarrod), Marie has just upped the ante to 100% daily wcs. You've got to do better than your daily 90% now my friend lol!

Marie, keep up this "great" work of yours...EVERYDAY that is.:D

Kenny

turkis
10-01-2006, 08:48 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_2.gif

Just wait till you get your water bill.

:D :D :D :D

Ryan
10-01-2006, 08:54 PM
I do them every night. It's a great way to know you've got clean water and your nitrates aren't building up. It doesn't hurt the fish as long as the temps are pretty close and you don't have huge pH issues. And since I have well water, there's no water bill and no chlorine/chloramine... so 100% w/c are easy for me.

Kindredspirit
10-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Hmm....the big boys huh? Hey Mario....my water bill has never changed I swear! I have 7 tanks....and since last Sept.. It has always remained the same! I pay $70- a month...and we run a lot of sprinklers too as our back yard is huge! I even called once...to make sure:p

That image of Willie's fish once when I first joined Sd...of all his fish laying flat is forever in my mind.....

Guess I am in in with the 'big boys' now:D ( except I don't think I shall do it again..)

lhforbes12
10-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Marie,
Did it look like this? I do that every three days... on purpose though

Kindredspirit
10-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Marie,Did it look like this?

...like.......? I swear that pic wasnt there ....lol!

Yes! That is just a disturbing site to me guys!

lhforbes12
10-01-2006, 09:25 PM
...like.......?

I swear Osifer I had not'in to drink

Kindredspirit
10-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Hey George(Jarrod), Marie has just upped the ante to 100% daily wcs. Kenny

now....did I say Daily?? That'd be a NO Kenny ~ better be nice to me babe....:D

I do them every night. It's a great way to know you've got clean water and your nitrates aren't building up. It doesn't hurt the fish as long as the temps are pretty close and you don't have huge pH issues. And since I have well water, there's no water bill and no chlorine/chloramine... so 100% w/c are easy for me.

This is good to know Ryan ~ My pH is 7.6 out of the tap and still is in the tanks as well ~ is that strange or no?

lhforbes12
10-01-2006, 09:30 PM
...like.......? I swear that pic wasnt there ....lol!

Yes! That is just a disturbing site to me guys!

That would be called "Editting" Marie

<--------------- Hiding

Jarrod
10-01-2006, 09:35 PM
ROFLMAO Kenny!!!!...I'll see her 100% changes and raise it to 125% daily LMAO...NOT!! Ain't no frigging way thats gonna happen lol. I do love my discus BUT there is a limit lol. As Clint Eastwood said in the Dirty Harry movies..."A man has got to know his limitations"...and I'm afraid until mine pair up and spawn and I have juvies again then 90-95% every other day is just gonna have to suffice if ya get my drift...rofl Ok so I'm gettin old but not quite senile yet.:D :D :D
George

Hey George(Jarrod), Marie has just upped the ante to 100% daily wcs. You've got to do better than your daily 90% now my friend lol!

Marie, keep up this "great" work of yours...EVERYDAY that is.:D

Kenny

Jarrod
10-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Oh and Marie at least ya don't do like I have done a couple times refilling tanks and got sidetracked on the puter and over flowed em!! LOL
George

Kindredspirit
10-02-2006, 07:25 AM
Me? Over flow my tanks? Never happen:D

How the hell are ya Jarrod? I will never get use to calling you George! To me you are Jarrod....Geo was my ex.....never called him that either...always called him "Rivera"....

More than ya ever wanted to know, eh?

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

10-02-2006, 09:04 AM
I think I'll stick with the 75% wc twice a day, I would feel bad if my discus were laying flat on their sides!

Jarrod
10-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Marie I be doing ok...lol...just doing my normal routines mainly ya know...like wc's and posting lmao. Oh that and drinking waaaaay too much coffee....lol.
And Marie you can call me anything ya want cept late for dinner lol...
Jarrod

Kindredspirit
10-02-2006, 09:16 AM
I agree ~ it is just not a pretty sight to me ~ plus splashing that water back in on an empty bottom .....umm....No ~

I was like..."get UP now...!"

M~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_2.gif

poconogal
10-02-2006, 10:25 AM
It looks to me like its very stressful for the Discus. I mean, really, when would they naturally be on their sides? It has to be stressing them, and that's something that I like to do as little of as possible.

Ryan
10-02-2006, 11:16 AM
I don't think it's stressing them. Tank-raised discus are used to large water changes and being moved. Wild discus are transported in just enough water to cover their bodies. My fish start cruising around and looking for food as soon as I start refilling. I drop in a little snack as the tank fills up and they are eating before they're even completely upright again. I would think if the fish were stressed out, they would either be hiding and cowering in a corner or they'd at the very least lose their appetite.

But to each his own.

April
10-02-2006, 11:26 AM
i do it routinely . not everyday..but a few times a week. they know i will be there ...they just look at the clock on the wall with their one eye..looking up..saying ok...then oh look..here she comes..with that green hose. here it comes guys...sploosh .
in nature..they do get times where some small pools dry up..and they are stuck in small puddles. im sure then they are hoping the rain and flood season is on its way. those are the fish who delayed swimming back into the big moving body of water..and missed their window of opportunity.

poconogal
10-02-2006, 11:38 AM
in nature..they do get times where some small pools dry up..and they are stuck in small puddles. im sure then they are hoping the rain and flood season is on its way. those are the fish who delayed swimming back into the big moving body of water..and missed their window of opportunity.
Uh oh, and then what happens to them, having missed their window of opportunity? I think they'd be nervous... LOL

Ryan
10-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Uh oh, and then what happens to them, having missed their window of opportunity? I think they'd be nervous... LOL

Then they get scooped up and sent to us :D or they burn up in the sun and become vulture food :(

poconogal
10-02-2006, 11:41 AM
I don't think it's stressing them. Tank-raised discus are used to large water changes and being moved. Wild discus are transported in just enough water to cover their bodies. My fish start cruising around and looking for food as soon as I start refilling. I drop in a little snack as the tank fills up and they are eating before they're even completely upright again. I would think if the fish were stressed out, they would either be hiding and cowering in a corner or they'd at the very least lose their appetite.

But to each his own.
I'm sure they can become used to it, but initially, if I did that to mine, they'd freak and hide on me for the next week. Gee, if I'm feeding them and my dog barks from the hallway, they hide and look at me with those "I don't trust her eyes" and sometimes will take a couple of days before they will greet me again. Sensitive little things! And it wasn't even me doing the barking!! Talk about getting a bum rap :D

poconogal
10-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Then they get scooped up and sent to us :D or they burn up in the sun and become vulture food :(

Ryan, not a pretty thought, the burning up in the sun part - eeeeek! :p ;)

Kindredspirit
10-02-2006, 11:51 AM
i do it routinely . not everyday..but a few times a week. they know i will be there ...they just look at the clock on the wall with their one eye..looking up..saying ok...then oh look..here she comes..with that green hose. here it comes guys...sploosh .

That is funny April! I am thinking about perhaps doing it once a week...wld there be any point in that?

Kindredspirit
10-02-2006, 11:52 AM

Well that is bittersweet!

Harriett
10-02-2006, 12:34 PM
I started doing 95% water changes on my juvies every other day about 2 months ago--I think they are growing as well as when I was doing 60-70% changes daily. They tolerate it just fine--I found that if I crossed the 95% line, they intermittanlty thrashed around crazy and it was anxiety producing for me to watch them--looked like they were really stressing. (much the same as I imagine I'd feel if I could only suck air from 1" off the floor) When I backed up to 95%, they were fine--either just hanging and resting or swimming around like wind up toys--ready to eat as soon as they were vertical again; no ill effects on health or behavior. I love it because every other nite I don't have to do those tanks!
Harriett

Kindredspirit
10-02-2006, 01:00 PM
I started doing 95% water changes on my juvies every other day about 2 months ago--I think they are growing as well as when I was doing 60-70% changes daily.

That is a good observation.....

They tolerate it just fine--I found that if I crossed the 95% line, they intermittanlty thrashed around crazy and it was anxiety producing for me to watch them--looked like they were really stressing.

But yet you see pictures Harriett of them just laying there all peaceful waiting for the flood gates to open....I agree it is really stressing for me too:(

(much the same as I imagine I'd feel if I could only suck air from 1" off the floor)

LOL! Ya think?

Ryan
10-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Okay, let's try that again.. for those of you lucky enough to see it, that last pic was a pic of me on the beach. Wrong link! lol

Here's the RIGHT one...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/ryansmith83/IMG_2125.jpg

:D

White Worm
10-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Hey Connie....I tap on the lid and make plenty of noise when feeding so they dont get so startled when they here a noise. They will scurry away for a few seconds but right back to get their fill of FBW. They are pretty used to it now since sometimes I will accidentally drop the lid cover.

poconogal
10-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Hey Connie....I tap on the lid and make plenty of noise when feeding so they dont get so startled when they here a noise. They will scurry away for a few seconds but right back to get their fill of FBW. They are pretty used to it now since sometimes I will accidentally drop the lid cover.
Hah, I dropped the lid cover once. They didn't speak to me for weeks and weeks. Seriously, they ran for cover whenever they saw me after that, for a few weeks. And I had just won them over - I only had them about a month at the time. It was back to square one :D They like the dog and the cats, though!

poconogal
10-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Okay, let's try that again.. for those of you lucky enough to see it, that last pic was a pic of me on the beach. Wrong link! lol

Here's the RIGHT one...

[
Eeeeeeeeeeekkkkk! The pic of the flatties, not your beach picture :D Hmm, where is the beach pic?

Kindredspirit
10-02-2006, 03:26 PM
The Flaties! Good name! I have dropped the tank cover too! They freak!

oh...and the beach pic was good;) I think I have seen that one Ryan:D

Kindredspirit
10-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Ryan ~ you left them like that and got the camera? I am glad Im not in YOUR tank! lol!

They do not looked stressed tho ~ quite peaceful infact! How long do you suppose they are like that? Dan told me once a Discus can live 10min out of water ~

Ryan
10-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Eeeeeeeeeeekkkkk! The pic of the flatties, not your beach picture :D Hmm, where is the beach pic?

I screamed in horror when I realized what I had posted. I didn't think I could edit it fast enough :D lol

Ryan
10-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Marie, they are not actually out of water. I leave enough to cover their eyes and fins so that they don't dry out. They are like that for about 5 minutes while I switch the pump and hoses to the bathroom tub to refill. It takes another 2 or 3 minutes to refill the tank enough that they're upright. So I'd guess they are laying on their sides for 7 - 8 minutes. I took the pictures while the bucket in the tub was filling up. They get fed as soon as I start refilling, so they immediately start going for food, even on their sides :D Mine do get spooked if I drop a lid or something, but only for a few seconds... there's always a daredevil ready to go for food, and the others follow its lead.

And no, you hadn't seen that beach pic... it's from this past weekend :p

lhforbes12
10-02-2006, 03:56 PM

But to each his own.

100% agree

lhforbes12
10-02-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm sure they can become used to it, but initially, if I did that to mine, they'd freak and hide on me for the next week. Gee, if I'm feeding them and my dog barks from the hallway, they hide and look at me with those "I don't trust her eyes" and sometimes will take a couple of days before they will greet me again. Sensitive little things! And it wasn't even me doing the barking!! Talk about getting a bum rap :D

Cubby has just discovered that the new rack has tanks 12" off the floor. He goes up and yells at them because he can't get to them, then he paws the glass like he wants outside. Surprisingly this phases my fish not at all, actually I think they may even be amused by his behavior. They are definately not afraid of him though, they swim to the front glass and look at him as if saying "look at that idiot".

poconogal
10-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Cubby has just discovered that the new rack has tanks 12" off the floor. He goes up and yells at them because he can't get to them, then he paws the glass like he wants outside. Surprisingly this phases my fish not at all, actually I think they may even be amused by his behavior. They are definately not afraid of him though, they swim to the front glass and look at him as if saying "look at that idiot".

Yes, but Cubby is what, 15 inches tall? Wolf, a/k/a Knucklehead, is 3 ft. tall and when he barks, the fish take off. Not so bad anymore, I think they're more used to things by now.

Kindredspirit
10-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Marie, they are not actually out of water. I leave enough to cover their eyes and fins so that they don't dry out.

You never said that Ryan! I bet I can do that! This is good to know...I do not know if I can do it for that many min tho;)

hmm....have not seen that one huh?:D

Marie ~