PDA

View Full Version : mixing larger and smaller question

kdazzel
10-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Question:p
what happens if you mix younger discus with larger discus if you have a really large tank? I have a 180gal with 6 discus in it all about 3 -3.5 inches. What happens if I add some 2.5 inch younger ones. or some 1 inch. would it greatly stunt the new ones growth?

Thanks

kdazzel

10-03-2006, 09:24 AM
You might be ok but I wouldn't suggest it. Most likely the larger ones will bully the smaller ones or there is the possibility of the growth inhibiting hormone which is just a theory. If the smaller discus get stressed or picked on at all at that stage then they will never grow properly or could even get sick. I try to keep only similar sized fish together

billeagan
10-03-2006, 09:25 AM
You should not have an issue, but you should keep an eye for territorial disputes. If they start to fight a lot just change around your decoratoins.

Upper Canada
10-03-2006, 12:53 PM
I can see 2.5 and 3.5 in there however 1 inch I would not do myself.

At an inch of size the fish is in an precarious phase of life, if it gets sick it has little with which to fight either the illness or the medication you may throw at it. If you have to buy it at that size then give them a smaller tank of there own where they can find food and eat it without fear, at least then they have a chance.

I wouldn't sell fish at that size, but that is my opinion.

Bob
www.uppercanadadiscus.com

White Worm
10-03-2006, 01:52 PM
I have mixed sizes and thought there isnt much problem but what I have found is...like someone said earlier......If they get spooked or stressed by the larger ones too much, they will stop eating and not grow to potential size. I would keep discus together of similar size if I was to do it again. My adults dont normally pick on the smaller ones but the youngsters get the point that they are on the bottom of the pecking order. I think they would do better with similar sizes. jmo.

kdazzel
10-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will pass now on the 1 inch fish. I think I will try the others though. We'll see how it goes.
Thanks
Kdazzel

Upper Canada
10-03-2006, 03:23 PM
A good decision in my opinion, buy the one inch fish when they are 2.5, then you will know more precisely what you are buying and the fish will have a better chance to survive.

Bob
Upper Canada Discus

Cosmo
10-06-2006, 03:09 PM
I agree on the problems associated to adding a 1inch fish to a large take of larger fish for the reason stated. Back when I used to buy Discus 1 or 2 at a time I would add smaller fish to tanks of adults with little to no problems developing once the territorial issues settled down. On several occassions, the small fish grew into being some of the biggest fish in the tank.

Jim

Peachtree Discus
10-11-2006, 05:54 PM
newb alert :o greetings everyone

I bought two discus when they were about 2-inchs and put them in a planted tank with one (about) 5-inchs. One of the smaller ones has grown at a remarkable rate but the other one hasn't grown much. All the fish in the planted tank are eating REALLY well and there don't seem to be any territory issues. I have another BB tank with discus all around 2 inches.

Would anyone recommend taking the little one from the planted tank and putting him into the BB tank - with fish the same size. Or, should i leave well-enough alone since everybody is happy and eating?