PDA

View Full Version : TIPS...DO'S & DON'TS When Buying At LFS!

Kindredspirit
10-05-2006, 08:59 AM
I know I know ....most will say DON'T.....but I think that in all reality most do frequent their lfs ~ I for one love to and I did get Ms. Pringles there ...but some know what did happen on my last purchase ~ even with QT:(

Having said that ~ some pop here for help after having their new acquisitions home for a few days ~ So I was thinking that we cld make a list on things to look for ....things to consider and things to just walk out and keeping going!

Also ~ perhaps some questions to ask ~ health tips to look for ~ and what meds if any to hit them with when they get home ~ or not ~

Any Takers? I know you are just dying too:D

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_2.gif

poconogal
10-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Dark Discus, clamped fins, any other fish in the entire tank that do not look right, with ich, fungus, clamped fins... walk away, do not buy.

crazie.eddie
10-05-2006, 10:01 AM
IMO, Whether you buy discus from a breeder or an LFS, you should always be looking for the same thing.

If it wasn't for the price, I wouldn't mind buying discus from an LFS.

poconogal
10-05-2006, 10:47 AM
IMO, Whether you buy discus from a breeder or an LFS, you should always be looking for the same thing.

If it wasn't for the price, I wouldn't mind buying discus from an LFS.
That's true, eddie. Whether at an LFS or a breeder, look at the same things.

Dkarc@Aol.com
10-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Look at the conditions they are being kept in. Is the water warm enough? Are they in a tank with suitable tank mates?? How clean does the water look? How healthy do they look? Do they come to the front of the tank when you approach them? I think that is the number one thing as a guide to their health...if they come to the front of the tank when you approach them. To me, when a discus greets me at the front, that is telling me that they are feeling pretty good and are curious enough to see just who you are (and if you're going to feed them). An unhealthy discus normally stays in the back, or in a corner, is dark and never comes to the front of the tank. BUT, them coming to the front of the tank is only the beginning in determining how healthy they are. Other things to look for are some obvious ones....light color, small eyes, not skinny, no holes in the head region, clear eyes and skin, fins erect. If all of the above are good, then I would consider it a good fish that would be ok to buy...granted its quality (in terms of shape and proportion) is good as well. No matter where it comes from though, strict QT is absolutely necessary for any and all discus purchased.

-Ryan

Kindredspirit
10-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks everyone! However ~ Ryan everything you stated in your post was so true for me ~ This little Blue Colbolt ...I think he was ....was in a tank with around 10 or so discus and he was very very active! All of them came up to the tank and I had the staff feed them ....I was impressed with this group of discus as this particular lfs here in Sacramento can have some crappy looking ones ~

So ~

I got one of them and brought him home ~ QT him ~ after three days he went down quick ~ really quick ~ dark, slime coat slipping ....I am sure he was not use to being all alone .....then down hill from there ~

...Then I transfered whatever it was to another room to my other tank ~ either that or the plant I bought at the same time did it ..... and the rest is history ~

My point is what cld I have done different? I followed all your suggestions ....but yet I screwed up...

tpl*co
10-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Everybody else has stated what I look for, but I have to add something, If there is any sign of any disease in any of the LFS tanks, I walk away from the fish, even if it is in another tank! There is no telling how long that fish has been there and if it was exposed and is not showing symptoms yet. It's been heartbreaking to see a fish I like and then to pass it up since I see some obviously diseased fish in the next tank, but it would be worse if I brought something home to my fish. Fish stores get fish from many sources and trade ins, so there is no telling how long a fish has been in any tank, nets go from tank to tank, and often there is a central filtration system all of which could spread disease. Also, with the short turn around time between them receiving and selling fish, a fish could possibly have something but won't show it until it's in your tank.

Before discus, when I had rainbows, I had gotten a rainbow from the LFS, that nearly wiped out all my fish with ich :(.

So, I go around the whole store, looking at all the tanks and the condition of all the fish. If I do bring home a fish, it's quarantine, quarantine, quarantine, and I often treat with parasite clear or some other medication as soon as they hit my water :).

I quarantine plants also.

Tina

t_j
10-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Around here I would never Buy from An LFS one store has 10 discus sizes 2.5-6" all in a 20gal or so tank most are all dark also the small ones you can see starting to get a football shape to them. Personaly I think it's just safe to stay away from them.

Harriett
10-05-2006, 12:35 PM
In my area, there are a couple shops that are a little more knowledgable about discus--they have them OFF the central water change/filtration system on their own system. Look for that. If they are on a central system, you are bringing every potential bug from either any tank in the shop or anything from the tanks at the warehouse the rest of the fish came from. If you are going to buy from a LFS, don't buy with your emotions---No impulsive buying; be clear about what you are looking at quality wise--it would have to be a most unusual or wonderful discus to take the risk, in my book. How many horror stories have we been through or seen on SD secondary to bringing in discus from either a LFS or elsewhere that decimate our collections, cost us big bux, take so much time, and really bum us out? I for one am SO over going through this crap---and I've only experienced it a couple times. But it makes me VERY cautious about buying Any discus from ANYBODY. Decrease your risk profile when ever possible.
Harriett

poconogal
10-05-2006, 12:47 PM
.... Do they come to the front of the tank when you approach them? I think that is the number one thing as a guide to their health...if they come to the front of the tank when you approach them. To me, when a discus greets me at the front, that is telling me that they are feeling pretty good and are curious enough to see just who you are (and if you're going to feed them). An unhealthy discus normally stays in the back,...
-Ryan
I don't know that this holds true for larger Discus, though. Little juvies will come to the front, IME larger ones 4"+ will not, they are more wary, so size can govern their actions.

Jarrod
10-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Given the fact that most lfs use a central filtering system and very very if ever do any kind of tank maintaintenance other than taking out the dead fish (and even that effort is sadly lacking in some cases) I look for any signs of obvious disease such as ich. etc... and even seeing none of that in the tanks still hesitate in spending my money in them for any kind of fish especially Discus which not many carry anyway. I asked a lfs the other day why they carried NO Discus at all and the reply I got was they were too much work to deal with. So you can imagine what I thought and just replied ty for answering my question and let it go at that. Needless to say no matter how much I may like a particular breed or species of fish if the lfs says "they are too much work to keep" then it's going to be too much trouble for me to reach for my wallet. Just MHO is all. needless to say ther are exceptions to what I have said but the way MOST lfs are I will only trade with them for NON live items such as food etc.
George

poconogal
10-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Given the fact that most lfs use a central filtering system and very very if ever do any kind of tank maintaintenance other than taking out the dead fish (and even that effort is sadly lacking in some cases) I look for any signs of obvious disease such as ich. etc... and even seeing none of that in the tanks still hesitate in spending my money in them for any kind of fish especially Discus which not many carry anyway. I asked a lfs the other day why they carried NO Discus at all and the reply I got was they were too much work to deal with. So you can imagine what I thought and just replied ty for answering my question and let it go at that. Needless to say no matter how much I may like a particular breed or species of fish if the lfs says "they are too much work to keep" then it's going to be too much trouble for me to reach for my wallet. Just MHO is all. needless to say ther are exceptions to what I have said but the way MOST lfs are I will only trade with them for NON live items such as food etc.
George
That's another thing I like about my LFS. Each tank is filtered on its own, no central system, and he does a WC on each tank.

tpl*co
10-05-2006, 01:03 PM
But wouldn't all these suggestions also go for any companion fish or plants that you ultimately plan to keep with your discus also (not just another discus you see at the LFS)?

Some fish may be more resistant or carry something that they may not show any signs of carrying but will make your discus sick? (the common story of the $2 fish killing the $$$$ fish).

With anything, before releasing in the tank with all your discus, put that "sacrifice" fish in quarantine with them to see if it gets sick first.

Tina

Jarrod
10-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Connie, you are very fortunate in that respect! I just never see ANY tanks here in an lfs being individually filtered is all. They all seem to be using a central filtering system of some kind...granted it is easier and cheaper to do so but the risks to me far outweigh any savings I may get than to risk it even given my qt routine. again JMHO is all
George

Jarrod
10-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Yes Tina I think they would go hand in hand with ANYTHING you plan to put into your tank containing Discus. Another reason all my tanks are bb because I truly DETEST snails in my tanks and invariably when I had put a new plant into one of my tanks it suffered IMO an outbreak of snails. To me one snail is one too many.
George

oodi
10-05-2006, 01:41 PM
While there may be a handfull of exceptions when it comes to lfs, first ask yourself these questions:

1. Are you willing to pay more for a lesser quality fish?
2. Are you an expert at diagnosing and treating a variety of diseases?
3. Do you have an endless supply of cash for hospital/QT tanks and medications?
4. Can you get any medication you might need where you live? (California is one of the toughest for getting some meds.)

If you answer Yes to all of those questions, then go for it!

Judi
:)

Kindredspirit
10-05-2006, 03:43 PM
In my area, there are a couple shops that are a little more knowledgable about discus--they have them OFF the central water change/filtration system on their own system. Look for that.

Good point Harriett! Then the question is do they really know? I had one staff at our lfs tell me once that discus do not like wc!

Kindredspirit
10-05-2006, 03:45 PM
While there may be a handfull of exceptions when it comes to lfs, first ask yourself these questions:

1. Are you willing to pay more for a lesser quality fish?
2. Are you an expert at diagnosing and treating a variety of diseases?
3. Do you have an endless supply of cash for hospital/QT tanks and medications?
4. Can you get any medication you might need where you live? (California is one of the toughest for getting some meds.)

If you answer Yes to all of those questions, then go for it!

Judi

You forgot one Judi....

#5.....Do you have an extra heart laying around?

Alan
10-06-2006, 01:13 AM
Just say "No."

Cosmo
10-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Just say "No."

If the quote translates to "just say no to buying Discus from an LFS" then I agree whole-heartedly. Paying for the shipping from a quality breeder is money well spent IMO.

Jim

Judi... why didn't you just come out and say DON'T BUY DISCUS FROM AN LFS??

oodi
10-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Judi... why didn't you just come out and say DON'T BUY DISCUS FROM AN LFS??

Because I'm acting like Tad, and being a windbag! :D

Judi

jeep
10-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Because I'm acting like Tad, and being a windbag! :D

Judi

HEY!!! Leave my cat out of this!!!

brewmaster15
10-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Expect disease... be prepared...

Quarantine is critical... do not cross contaminate.

Bleach..have it ...use it the first sign of trouble ... IMO, Its best to sacrifice the LFS fish rather than risk an expensive collection of discus.

To be honest I think in many cases its best to sacrifice a sick discus altogether rather than try an treat it and possibly lose a collection.

Unless I know what I am up against. I would never trust a new fish that has been sick from day one in my collection... $35, 55, $100 dollars...It aint worth it and compared to the cost of meds...Its a losing proposition in alot of cases..

I would rather sacrifice the one or two new fish than risk all my stock.. and it doesn't matter if they come from a LFS or breeder. Of course if its a big group of fish, you need to weigh that...but think about what you risk.

hth,
al

lhforbes12
10-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Expect disease... be prepared...

Quarantine is critical... do not cross contaminate.

Bleach..have it ...use it the first sign of trouble ... IMO, Its best to sacrifice the LFS fish rather than risk an expensive collection of discus.

To be honest I think in many cases its best to sacrifice a sick discus altogether rather than try an treat it and possibly lose a collection.

Unless I know what I am up against. I would never trust a new fish that has been sick from day one in my collection... $35, 55, $100 dollars...It aint worth it and compared to the cost of meds...Its a losing proposition in alot of cases..

I would rather sacrifice the one or two new fish than risk all my stock.. and it doesn't matter if they come from a LFS or breeder. Of course if its a big group of fish, you need to weigh that...but think about what you risk.

hth,
al

Amen!

drayman86
10-06-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm fortunate enough to be within striking distance of Cary Strong's LFS, so this is a non-issue for me.

http://www.choiceaquariums.com/home.htm

Cary was kind enough to give me a tour of his store, including the central filtration system in the mechanical room, which was custom-built for the store and includes an array of UV light sterilizers.

It was a real pleasure talking discus with Cary; all I had to do was say "I like discus and am fairly new to the hobby", and that was all it took; he talked and talked and talked and talked...and I was loving every minute of it. He's a class act all the way. Once I expand my system, I'm going back for some of his fish.

swinters66
10-06-2006, 11:09 PM
All my discus were bought from my lfs. I am very picky...so I watched the tanks and observed all the discus in the 4 tanks he had them in. I had to overlook the really expensive tank....bummer...but I am happy with the discus I did get. I looked at all the fish, watched them swim, checked out the eyes, seeing if they were gasping or breathing too heavy (to me that seems like a bad sign), and how they interacted with the other tankmates. Then, I picked one, and watched it for a few more minutes, checking him out from every angle. I didn't want any torn fins or tails, nice colors, alertness...I have two that are shy still but the rest are doing wonderful.

Once they settled in and starting eating anyway.