PDA

View Full Version : Frys laying sideway

diamond_discus
10-05-2006, 05:16 PM
I have a new batch of frys (about one month old). Most of them are healthy and eating well. However, there are 5 smaller frys that are very skinny and they lay down at the tank bottom sideway ... looks like they are dying ... There are a few other frys that occasionally scratch their head to the bottom of the tank. Do I have some kind of disease going on in the tank ? I am doing at least 75% WC daily, using tap water, but with Amquel+ to remove Chorline and ammonia.

Could that be due to overfeeding ? I used an automatic feeder during the day and there is always extra food at the bottom. i also has a continuousNfeed BBS device that produce some BBS in the tank ... should I reduce the food amount and remvoe this BBS feeder ?

LizStreithorst
10-05-2006, 06:06 PM
The 5 could be what we call bottom sliders. There are some in every spawn. Cull them. They don't get better. If you are seeing scratching, I'd treat for flukes. A month of age is when I would start seeing sympotms.

diamond_discus
10-05-2006, 06:24 PM
symptoms of what ? flukes ? What is the best medication to treat flukes ?

LizStreithorst
10-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Sorry If I wasn't clear. The bottom sliders just happen. It's not related to flukes.

The fish that are scratching are showing symptoms of flukes. For flukes do this:

Gill Flukes or Bacterial Disease:
Symptoms: Your discus may breath rapidly. Gills may be flared. He may be dark in color and stay apart from the other discus. Head may be pointed down at a 45degree angle.
Treat with Formalin (formaldehyde) sold in pet stores as Formalin and in a combination with dyes as Quick Cure and Rid Ick or can be purchased online. One cc or ml per 10 gallons of water. 50% water change after 8 hours. Do not raise temperature. Add extra air as it depletes oxygen. If you see an improvement after first dose you can treat every other day for two weeks. Dose all fish in tank. May impact biofilter.