PDA

View Full Version : UK Discus Show this weekend

steve.ryall
10-06-2006, 07:37 AM
A few of you guys might be aware, but this weekend is the 2nd annual UK Discus Show on Hayling Island, near Southampton, England.

It is quite an exciting time for me as I am entering 2 fish in the hobbiest section. I have posted photos before of my Pigeon Blood, and some of my Turq on SD before, so if you can find them, you know what I have entered.

I am going away for a few days to stay at the venue, but will be taking lots of photos and give you all the gossip when I return, hopefully post some great photos of all the action on Sunday if I can.....Hopefully with a winner's trophey under my belt ;)

Steve

pcsb23
10-06-2006, 07:39 AM
See you there.

Kindredspirit
10-06-2006, 07:47 AM
me too http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_8_8.gif

pcsb23
10-06-2006, 07:48 AM
me too http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_8_8.gif

Are you coming to the show too Marie?? that would be fun ;)

Kindredspirit
10-06-2006, 07:52 AM
O.K.A.Y.......not really....( ya think? )

Well Finally yes?......Good Luck Steve!!! I hope you and Paul have a blast!! Take plenty of pics:)

Stay outta trouble boyshttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_4_131.gif

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_20.gif

Kindredspirit
10-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Are you coming to the show too Marie?? that would be fun ;)

Now how cool wld that be? No I am sorry I can not grace you with my presence:(

....Now next year is A Discus Of a Different Color:D ....here....in Cali.....I know Steve is coming....and YOU Paul...talk about Fun:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_20.gif

steve.ryall
10-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Hello all.
Well, I am back from what I can only describe as an excellent weekend.
I made several new friends, gained loads of usefull information and had some degree of success in my first showing of Discus.

I won't spill the beans just yet as I am at work and not able to supply the relevent photos for you, but one of our own here from SD did particularily well, in fact did very well indeed. Again I will explain further later on today.

I hope that you can wait for a few hours for the real update. :thumbsup:

Steve

poconogal
10-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Oh, sure Steve, just give us a little nibble and then tell us nothing else. Meanie... However, I will refrain from using my :smash: just this once. Come on, come on now, spill the beans... hurry up, can't wait! LOL

steve.ryall
10-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Save the hammer young lady! all good things come to those who wait...........;)

S~

t_j
10-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Come on Steve I hate waiting!!:D You know Steve you could have taken the pictures with you to work and posted them;) J/K I guess we'll all have to wait ha.:(

traco
10-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Okay, Steve, it's been like .... 5 hours since you teased us. Trying to be patient. ;)

pcsb23
10-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Well as Steve hasn't given a full report, I'll put some detail on the weekend. We had 60 tanks up this year, an increase of 10 over last year. We have already filled the 60 for next year too, and are looking to put up another 40 tanks, making 100.

As well as being a member here on Simply, I am a full member on the UKDA (only a member though, not committee or mods). I have to give credit to Dougall, Mike, Mick, Jeff, Tony, Ivan, Mat and Andy (sorry if I've missed anyone), great organisation guys, made it easy for us, well done.

The quality of discus on display was very good indeed, talking to those that attended last years inaugural event this years standard was higher.

Special thanks has to go to the FBAS and all that were involved in organising the whole show, there were catfish, Koi, goldfish and all sorts of other fish on show and display too. There was even some wonderful reptiles.

The event was held in a marquee that covered some 5 or 6 tennis courts, so it was quite large (though not yet Duisberg standards - give it time :)) The sponsore, Tetra and Hagen and RO-Man etc were marvellous, please accept my apologies if I've missed any, but you all have my thanks. Fish were benched on Friday, although early benching could have been available had I not been working until the small hours :(

Steve arrived just after I had benched my fish, I was surprised that we could choose our own tanks, it is early days though. We were of course supervised whilst benching. Not sure but I think Steve was one of the last to bench.

Judging took place on the Saturday after the first day of the show proper, the judges did a second sweep on Sunday morning too, I guess just to make sure.

Results of the Hobbyists were announced just after 2pm Sunday, and the Open and Supreme championship results just after 4pm. It was a really good and enjoyable weekend, I have never shown fish before so it was a new experience for me, and for Steve too. I think we have both learnt quite a bit from it too. The really good news was the supreme champion was a hobbyist, so one up over the pro's, and very well desreved it was too, stunning fish, but for some reason I don't have a pic (Steve help me out here bud) It was also in tank 1, coincidence or what??

Steve did allright too, the pic below is him with his trophy, well done mate. The second is Steve enjoying the day, the third is Chris Arnold with the supreme Trophy, I think he was a bit taken aback, but it was well deserved.

pcsb23
10-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Here are some of the fish on display...

pcsb23
10-09-2006, 06:31 PM
There was the odd ugly one too!

brewmaster15
10-09-2006, 06:33 PM
:) Thats awesome News Paul!! Sounds like a splendid time had by all there! So steve placed? Congrats Steve!!!! I am proud of you!!!!:) :) :)

thanks for the update Paul and hats off to all the organizers and judges!:)

-al

pcsb23
10-09-2006, 06:34 PM
The tanks and the water prep were there for everyone to see, how about the RO system in the last pic eh?? 4000 GPD and 2 x 265 gallon storage tanks with 3KW heaters and a serious air pump too!

pcsb23
10-09-2006, 06:35 PM
The presentation area was simply spectacular, with trophies for all classes of fish entered, well done FBAS.

pcsb23
10-09-2006, 06:38 PM
:) Thats awesome News Paul!! Sounds like a splendid time had by all there! So steve placed? Congrats Steve!!!! I am proud of you!!!!:) :) :)

thanks for the update Paul and hats off to all the organizers and judges!:)

-al
Al, Steve did well, the weekend really brought home what the hobby is about, particularly nice was a hobbyist beating the pros :)

More to come (I'm just slow at typing ;))

pcsb23
10-09-2006, 06:40 PM
There was the Koi championship on too, forgive me Graham but looking down into vats of fish was less impressive imo ;) but the Koi were nice to me, heres a few pics

pcsb23
10-09-2006, 06:44 PM
This iguana was on display, must have been six feet long, stunning animal, I want one :)

Jeff Cannons a member on here also got a trophy to recognise his efforts in the hobby, really liked this trophy and it was well deserved too!

pcsb23
10-09-2006, 06:48 PM
This little guy did allright too!, 2 class wins and a third place.

Oh and apologies to Ryan for using up all his disk space!

Hope Steve doesn't mind me hijacking his thread, we are both members at UKDA and its aims are not dissimiar with Simply's. I beleive the hobby moved forward after this weekend, I am really looking forward to next years show, it will be a real blast. Hopefully I will make ACA too!

traco
10-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Wow you guys!! I love the look on Steve's face, did that smile ever disappear on the weekend? Good for him and congrats.

Thanks for all those pics, Paul. There really were some beautiful discus there. I loved the blue diamond and that last shot of the yellow. Looks like it was a success; must be, with more tanks for next year.

And how did you fair, Sir, hmm...?

steve.ryall
10-10-2006, 05:34 AM
Paul, thanks for the report, I was going to do a similar sort of thing last night, but I had to teach until late and never sat down til past 10.30

Guys, Paul has outlined the event very well, it really was a blast, and yes, my smile lasted a lonnnnng time, cheeks are hurting still now :D I'll post some pics later as tonight I have a little more time to play. Al, Barb, sorry for the delay.

Steve

Kindredspirit
10-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Hopefully I will make ACA too!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_145_12.gif

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_2.gif

Kindredspirit
10-10-2006, 11:14 AM
I know you and Anna are coming next year:) You look mighty handsome there Stevie....with your trophy and all!

Congrats to you!! What does it mean to "bench" your fish? Put them in the tank? oh and that one fish....he IS strange looking as Paul said....what is he called?

Paul Lucas
10-11-2006, 03:16 PM
As an Englishman, I'm going to re-open this thread because I was there and the story has not been told as it is - no sir!! It's true that Steve Ryall and Paul Butler or pscb23 as you may know him were there. You will also know that Steve did particularly well and was like a cat that got the cream in subsequent photo's watched on by his blushing finance Anna (who's a lovely girl by the way) from a distance.

But, what you don't know and I am determined to tell all his friends here, is that Paul Butler . . . . . . . well, he did quite well!! Paul being Paul though wouldn't want to holler about it but I believe he deserves great credit.

I am going to try for the first time, to upload some pictures of these two guys and hope that Paul does tell all - I cannot remember for the life of me what awards he did win lol!!

So, you guys keep getting your fish from the same source and you'll win, win, win!! Congrats guys and well done - you both did well.

Paul Lucas

brewmaster15
10-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Thank You Paul for adding to the Story!:)

and as for Our Moderator and University staffer!!!, Paul...aka pcsb23... YOU ROCK!!!!:) Congratulations my friend on some well deserved awards!!!:) :) I am very very proud of you and Happy to see you have done so well!!!!

-al

Ps... definetly stick with that supplier of yours...Good fishes there to be sure!!!:)

jeff cannons
10-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Yep was an excellent show and I was well happy with my award,but I think the real winner will be the Discus scene in the UK which I feel will grow ......
Well done Paul and Steve on your awards ........
Heres too next year ...................................

pcsb23
10-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Guys, what can I say, thanks very much for the congrats. I somehow managed to win 1st in class the hobbyists for Solid Red, 3rd overall in the hobbyists section, but the biggest surpirse was 1st in the Open class for Solid Red, still got the smile :D (Nice to beat the pros every now and then ;))

pcsb23
10-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Yep was an excellent show and I was well happy with my award,but I think the real winner will be the Discus scene in the UK which I feel will grow ......
Well done Paul and Steve on your awards ........
Heres too next year ...................................

Thats True Jeff, can only get better now.

Moon
10-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Well done guys. Paul, Paul and Steve.

pcsb23
10-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks Moon, much appreciated.

I should have mentioned that Paul Lucas also managed to come away with the odd award too! Only 5 of them!! Considering they had been in Duisberg the weekend before Paul & Ange didn't do bad at all.

traco
10-11-2006, 04:37 PM
You guys over there are far too modest. Congrats to you three. Could you guys maybe post the pics of your discus that won you the awards? Or are they posted on page 1 here?

And hah, Paul, Mr. "psb23", we now have a shot of you out in the sun, no hiding in the shadows of a boat picture!!!:) And how are you feeling now with your whiplash, etc...?

I hope to one day attend a fish show, discus and others. It must be pretty neat and so much to see, I bet.

Squiggy
10-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Sounds like you guys cleaned house...Good job, guys! :thumbsup:

pcsb23
10-11-2006, 04:42 PM
You guys over there are far too modest. Congrats to you three. Could you guys maybe post the pics of your discus that won you the awards? Or are they posted on page 1 here?

And hah, Paul, Mr. "psb23", we now have a shot of you out in the sun, no hiding in the shadows of a boat picture!!!:)
Amazed the camera stoood the shock!

And how are you feeling now with your whiplash, etc...?

I hope to one day attend a fish show, discus and others. It must be pretty neat and so much to see, I bet.

Whiplash ok now, only a bit of a stiff shoulder, so not bad considering. And that yellow one you liked....;)

pcsb23
10-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Sounds like you guys cleaned house...Good job, guys! :thumbsup:

Thanks Squigmeister (thats Tony_S fault!!, the squigmeister bit :D)

Squiggy
10-11-2006, 04:48 PM
You mean Mr Mrs Tony S? :D

pcsb23
10-11-2006, 04:54 PM
You mean Mr Mrs Tony S? :D

Thats the one :bandana:

steve.ryall
10-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Ok, the site is back and I must post my photos, sorry it's taken so long.

I would just like to say that the whole weekend was a blast. There were so many freindly people there who were so open to give advice and guidence to us, (well me certainly) as hobbiests. I must mention that I owe many thanks to Paul (pscb) and to Paul Lucas and his lovely wife Ange (discus guru's) for all thier help over the last 18 months.
Both Pauls have done extremely well, I now have my targets set for the next year's show, and with any luck I might be able to place again. The way the UK Discus SHow is looking for next year, it already seems that interest is strong and standards are going to be high, roll on next year.

I have a few photos to post, both Pauls have posted some great shots already, I hope mine also give you guys some more insight into the high standards achieved here in the UK.

Steve

steve.ryall
10-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Some more, this is some of the fish. The red spotted snake was bred just one year ago by Mick Minns, I couldn't believe it, this fish was 7"

steve.ryall
10-11-2006, 05:57 PM
A few more

pcsb23
10-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Micks fish was nice and large!, looked at its best on the Friday though, the BD's were slabs as well.

steve.ryall
10-11-2006, 06:00 PM
A couple of cichlids for Amber and Marie. These fish were nearly 12" long.

steve.ryall
10-11-2006, 06:03 PM

steve.ryall
10-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Last pics for now, A special photo for both Paul (pscb) and our great friends, Paul & Ange Lucas.

mikeos
10-12-2006, 04:23 AM
Well done everyone...great fish, great friends & lots of beer:D :D :D Lots of prizes for some very deserving fish and their owners, but IMO the biggest winner will be the UK discus scene.

It was a great show, & next year will be bigger and better, but you had better get your forms in quick as tanks are going very fast.....in fact most are already booked.:)

steve.ryall
10-12-2006, 04:38 AM
Mike, you are right, I recommend that any person who thinks they would like to show a fish in the UK Discus Show 2007, sign up NOW ! :)

Rod
10-12-2006, 06:58 AM
Congratulations Paul and Steve, well done guys.

Rod

Tony_S
10-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Awesome Job Paul and Steve!! Congratulations to both of you!

Tony

LizStreithorst
10-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Congratulations guys. I'm sure all of us are happy for you and proud of you.

crimson cross
10-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Congrats on a great showing, Paul and Steve. Keep it up and hope to hear of more success in the near future.
Phil.

steve.ryall
10-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your kind words. I must though give much of my credit to Paul and many others here on SD for your kind help and advice since I have been a member.

Steve ;)

pcsb23
10-12-2006, 10:23 AM
I too appreciate the kind words guys.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your kind words. I must though give much of my credit to Paul and many others here on SD for your kind help and advice since I have been a member.

Steve ;)

You're too modest Steve, giving advice is the easy bit, putting it to good use is not so easy. You still have to raise them right.

AADiscus
10-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Congrats to you all!!!!

Look like everyone had a great time.

April
10-12-2006, 12:21 PM
congrats to both of you!! im impressed...alot can do the talk..of how to care..but alot cant be dedicated enough to get a fish to show quality . its all in the care. you guys deserve it greatly.
paul..is it tony from ireland who helped with the show? i know tony..well not in person...

Kindredspirit
10-12-2006, 12:27 PM
A couple of cichlids for Amber and Marie. These fish were nearly 12" long.

Thanks for sharing Steve! Those are huge Cichlids....we have one here in our lfs his name is 'Sherbert'.....he is orange and white and really big but in a very small tank:( Has been there for something like 20 years I think!

Bainbridge Mike
10-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Congrats to Paul and Steve! You make us all proud!

Mike

Kindredspirit
10-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Mike??? You are a MOD?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_105.gif

What a fantastic choice Simply has made:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

Jeffrey_Yang
10-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Way to go Paul and Steve! :) And congratulations on your wins!

Cosmo
10-12-2006, 02:20 PM
[quote=pcsb23;351317]This iguana was on display, must have been six feet long, stunning animal, I want one :)

Paul, I've had several iguanas that grew to six feet, and they're awesome animals. The first one I had back in the 70's and I used to take it everywhere riding on my shoulder... believe it or not, was a great way to meet chicks (birds to you :) ) He used to roam the house and lived inside the heater. The second one I got for my daughter when it was six inches long but she gave it to me :confused: when it got to about 4 feet. Couldn't let this one run loose because of the wife so I kept him in a huge cage with his own space heater :)

On the fish show, leave it to you Brits to do it up right :) All the fancy necklaces on the judges and all :) Still have more reading to do..

Congrats Steve... GREAT JOB

Jim

Cosmo
10-12-2006, 02:27 PM
You know, I KNEW Paul was holding something back, telling us about the show, the RO systems, Steve's win, but not a word about himself :confused: Just like Paul being so modest:D Finally got to Paul Luca's post and read the rest of the untold story.... CONGRATS BUDDY... YOU DO ROCK!! In more than one way as some of you may not know... Paul's a strat cat too :) Jeez, we even look similar (balding with beards)... we'd make a great rock band buddy if you ever move to the states before we get toooo old.. lol

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS... VERY IMPRESSIVE :)

Jim

Carol_Roberts
10-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Congratulations guys :) Thanks for posting the pictures. It looks like it was a great show!

pcsb23
10-12-2006, 05:22 PM
congrats to both of you!! im impressed...alot can do the talk..of how to care..but alot cant be dedicated enough to get a fish to show quality . its all in the care. you guys deserve it greatly.
paul..is it tony from ireland who helped with the show? i know tony..well not in person...
Thanks April, and yes it is Tony Vaughan from Ireland, nutcase but a good guy and a wicked sense of humour too!

You know, I KNEW Paul was holding something back, telling us about the show, the RO systems, Steve's win, but not a word about himself :confused: Just like Paul being so modest:D Finally got to Paul Luca's post and read the rest of the untold story.... CONGRATS BUDDY... YOU DO ROCK!! In more than one way as some of you may not know... Paul's a strat cat too :) Jeez, we even look similar (balding with beards)... we'd make a great rock band buddy if you ever move to the states before we get toooo old.. lol

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS... VERY IMPRESSIVE :)

Jim
Jim, thanks bud, we may get too old to rock and roll, but we're to young to to die!! (and do I ever need to get some practice in too!)

Congratulations guys :) Thanks for posting the pictures. It looks like it was a great show!

Carol thank you, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, it was well organised and overall was very good fun. There were some stunning fish, and one or two that were downright ugly too!

April
10-12-2006, 07:53 PM
yeppers..thats the tony i know. funny as heck. talked to him alot on chat before.

Kenny's Discus
10-13-2006, 03:22 AM
Congrats Paul and Steve for the awards! Looks like a great show to me and I'm sure you guys had lots of fun!;) Thanks again for sharing the show/fish pics with us.

Kenny

Ardan
10-13-2006, 05:42 AM
Congratulations Steve and Paul!!

A great accomplishment!

Very nice discus:) :) :)

Ardan

steve.ryall
10-13-2006, 05:43 AM
I am so pleased this thread has lasted so long, and all the interest that our friends from across the pond have shown in the UK Discus Show. You're words of congratualtions are very kind. I am not sure how many UK members we have on Simply, but I hope that this thread might encourage them also to compete/enter/show next year. And if you cant show a fish, just show up and support.

Thanks to Simply admin for your support too

Steve :angel:

greyhoundfan
10-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Wow!! Great in depth report! The pictures were great. Yes those discuses were definite dinner plate slabs. I enjoyed every pic and report. I'll have to go through it again and see if I can put names to faces.

pcsb23
10-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Wow!! Great in depth report! The pictures were great. Yes those discuses were definite dinner plate slabs. I enjoyed every pic and report. I'll have to go through it again and see if I can put names to faces.

Reid, don't get too close to the monitor with my ugly mug! Don't want to be responsible for any harm coming to you ;)

There were some really nice fish on display, and some very large one too!

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words:o

kaceyo
10-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Way to go Paul and Steve,
It's well deserved, and great that the hobby can give back some recognition to those that have given so much of themselves.

Kacey

ShinShin
10-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Congratulations to you guys. Great job on winning your awards, the great job of presenting the show and helping boost the discus hobby. That's just great. Keep it up.

Mat