PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy water, could it be too much Eheim EhfiSubstrat in Fluval 304?

thang45
10-06-2006, 09:25 AM
This filter has been running for at least 3 months. During that time the water has been cloudy many times. To get rid of the cloudy water I use UV for about 2 weeks and the water is crystals clear. But as soon as I take out the UV the water becomes cloudy again within 2 weeks. Why is that, is it because of too much Eheim EhfiSubstrat in the fluval 304? I use about 2 liter for 35 gal tank.

crazie.eddie
10-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Does the water turn white or green? If it's white, then it's a bacterial bloom, green is an algae bloom. A bacterial bloom will clear itself and usually occurs when too much nitrifying bacteria is removed from the tank. You maybe cleaning too much at one time. For example, you maybe cleaning the substrate and cleaning the filter and replacing the media all on the same day.

An algae bloom is usually the cause of too much nutrients in the water, excessive lights etc. A UV or blackout period and reducing nutrients will clear the the algae bloom.

thang45
10-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi Eddie,

The water is white.
The last time I clean the filter and added new EhfiSubstrat is 3 months ago. I have not touch filter since then.

crazie.eddie
10-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Have you tried leaving the UV off for more than 2 weeks? You maybe killing the nitrifying bacteria in the water column, causing it not to be able to colonize into your filter media. Leave the UV off for awhile, let the bacterial bloom resolve itself. It may take a few days or so to clear, depending on the size of your tank.

thang45
10-06-2006, 01:22 PM
I put the UV there because I wanted to see if it would make the water clearer. After two weeks I took the UV out and cloudy water return within 2 weeks.

Cosmo
10-06-2006, 04:34 PM
I'd highly doubt it has anything to do with the substrate in your filter as the bacteria in the filter will only grow in accordance with the bio load in the tank, not overproduce and overpopulate the water column. What about WCs? If you're doing monster WCs every day you may be depleting the bacterial colonies in the water column, but it still sounds strange.

I've never heard of a continuing and repeating bacterial bloom in an established tank. When you put the ehfisubstrat into your cannister, did you leave any colonized media in with it? If not, your tank may still be trying to cycle.

If it were me, I'd clean the cannister, making sure not to kill any established colonies (rinse the media with tank water only) and do a daily regimen of water changes. If it's a cycling issue, that should clear things up and keep the fish alive at the same time. UV isn't the answer in this case.

Speaking of WCs, what are you using... tap? ... is it aged? ... have you tested it for phosphates, etc? ... and how often do you do them? Could be something in your source water.

Do you have gravel or a BB tank? What is your maintenance routine other than the UV? And after 3 months, the cannister probably needs a cleaning and if you have gravel, do you vacuum it every day or two?

Do you ever see any tiny white worm like things attached to the glass (darn... memory too clogged with work related issues right now to remember their name :( )? They're harmless and are usually the result of over feeding and/or dirty water. Could be an explosion of them turning your water white, and the UV would kill off the ones in the water column but leave plenty alive on the tank walls and in the filters for them to proliferate again.

:confused:

Jim

pcsb23
10-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Do you ever see any tiny white worm like things attached to the glass (darn... memory too clogged with work related issues right now to remember their name :( )?

Planaria Jim :)

I agree with Jim's assessment, check your source water, and post your routine up.

Cosmo
10-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the assist Paul :o working too **** (not the censor, inserted the stars myself :p ) much these days :D

thang45
10-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks Jim.

I guess I should tell you about my tank.
38 gal
1 fluval 304 filter
Air stone
Temp 86
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

I just added gravel three weeks ago, but the cloudy water was an issue before the gravel.

I do 2 to 3 times water change a week @ about 25% each time and wipe the glass. I don’t over feed and if I did I will take out any left over food after 15 minutes. I use aged water with prime and I also tried tab water with prime, but same results.

About planaria, I don’t have any of those on my glass.

I have no clue what phosphates is.

I just took out about a liter of substrate, because I have no answers to why this is happening.

About 3 months ago I even tried 100% WC and rinse all filters. Refill it back with aged water and add Seachem stability but again no luck.

I know that cloudy water over time will clear up but in my case it has been too long.

My other 3 tanks don't have cloudy water and each have more fish.
What sup with that!:confused: