PDA

View Full Version : WHY Is She Peppering?

Kindredspirit
10-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey Guys ~ I was feeding my fish and I noticed that the Golden x Albino Intermediate I posted in the photo gallery a while back has these black spots appearing ~

Is she peppering up? Why all of a sudden? I know they can pepper with stress but all is good in this tank ~ I have never seen peppering on a fish that has stress bars....have I?:o It looks wrong on so many levels IMO...totally out of place:(

Tell me it is peppering up and not ........anything else! lol! The background is white on this tank and substrate is not dark....

Thoughts please?

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

t_j
10-06-2006, 12:47 PM
I have no idea on this subject I just wanted to say she is vary pretty and love the color on her face!!:D Thats all:D

lhforbes12
10-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Have you been taking your fish to the tattoo parlor Marie? :-/

Timbo
10-06-2006, 03:38 PM
marie, you know that kind of discus doesnt pepper

what signs of distress is the fish exhibiting?

pcsb23
10-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Marie,

I do not think it is peppering. I am tryning to remember what it is, but the memory is not working, I will do a search and find it (hopefully).

pcsb23
10-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Ok Marie,

It is most likely one of 2 things, there is something called black spot disease, or it is fish lice. I suspect that if you check again in an hour or two the spots will be in different places.

Is this fish in the tank being treated??

If its not treat with parasite clear or similar, treats both cases.

Kindredspirit
10-06-2006, 04:11 PM
marie, you know that kind of discus doesnt pepper

what signs of distress is the fish exhibiting?

I knew it TIM!! I was told it does:mad: I knew it....Why do I always think I am wrong?

He is showing nothing really Tim....he is eating great and color is good...BUT....I don't know if it is the current from the filter or.....he tends to lay to one side....remember on my sick thread they at one point were all doing that and you said it cld be they are leaning towards the light? And they were....

Well ~

He is leaning and me thinks it is not towards any light:(

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

Kindredspirit
10-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Ok Marie,

It is most likely one of 2 things, there is something called black spot disease, or it is fish lice. I suspect that if you check again in an hour or two the spots will be in different places.

Is this fish in the tank being treated??

If its not treat with parasite clear or similar, treats both cases.

No Paul this one is in a dif tank.....what causes this? I have an huge Apple Snail in there for about a month or two now.....cld this be the reason?

What is happening to my tanks Paul? I so do not need this right now:( I will check and see if the spots have moved.....

Thank You guys!

M ~

Kindredspirit
10-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Ya know boys.....some are gonna pop me for this but.....the only thing dif I have been doing in my tanks .....in the last month .....if that....is feeding CBW....

Ya think?

M~

pcsb23
10-06-2006, 04:21 PM
I don't know what causes it. I have read that lice lay eggs that can survive for long periods of time, even freezing. I am a little sceptical though about the freezing bit. They could be from the snail, off of plants, from food. It happens from time to time.

My wilds had these spots ayear or 2 back, I think it only took one or two treatments to clear it up. Treat as on the package for this.

As to what is happening, again I don't know for sure. You have changed a few things around and got some new fish, and dffferent types of fish. There is absolutely nothing wrong in any of what you've done. I wouldn't stress too much over this, its easy to fix (I hope).

pcsb23
10-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Ya know boys.....some are gonna pop me for this but.....the only thing dif I have been doing in my tanks .....in the last month .....if that....is feeding CBW....

Ya think?

M~

Its a live food so I would say its a possible suspect.

Kindredspirit
10-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks Paul ~ hey is it contagious to the other ones in the tank? I wld think so....Paul wld you get rid of the Apple Snail? I am hitting them now with Parasite CL!

Marie ~ :angel:

Kindredspirit
10-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Its a live food so I would say its a possible suspect.

...just out of curiousity....on a scale from one to ten....how possible?

Marie ~

pcsb23
10-06-2006, 04:41 PM

Marie ~

I would say more likely the cbw than the snail. Remember though, we don't get CBW in the UK. Given where CBW is from then it is a possibility.

traco
10-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Can the apple snail handle the Parasite Clear meds? Hope it improves for you soon and it is something minor.

pcsb23
10-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Can the apple snail handle the Parasite Clear meds? Hope it improves for you soon and it is something minor.
Not sure is the honest answer, I would put it somewhere else whilst treating.

Tony_S
10-06-2006, 05:28 PM

ZERO. ZERO.....AND........ZERO!

Ok Marie....stop the panic!

I agree with Paul....It's more than likely Blackspot, It's definitely not fish Lice. Fortunately, unless the Discus has a massive infestation, it isn't harmful. I'm not sure where the Snail came from, but I'd be willing to bet money on the fact that's where it came from.

Have a look down near the bottom of the page here....It explains the life cycle of the parasite.
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/qw_worms.htm

BTW....from what Ive read, Parasite Clear will work....I can't say from experience though, Ive seen Blackspot twice before in my own tanks, both were wild Discus and were never treated.

Tony

Kindredspirit
10-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Me? Panic? Never!! Really tho Tony I was only worried due to the CBW....

It just seems like since I started feeding them .....and itz prolly just ME....I have one tank with a sunken in tummy and another with black spots....

NOT that there is any relation to the slimey lil suckers......just checking things out here:D

I Know how YOU feel about them ~ hence the reason I started feeding them AGAIN...and I know how Paul feels.....the reason I stopped ~

I just need to figure out now how I feel;)

I forgot about that darn snail hit them with Parasite Cl.....afraid to look:(

Thanks!

Marie ~:bandana:

brewmaster15
10-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Hi Marie,
The biggest mistake you can make with discus is "knee Jerk reactionary paranoa"... :) Not that we all haven't done that at one time or another.... I Honestly have no idea what those spots are... but They don't look like they are raised in any way. They look Like Freckels.. or . ....or small bruises to me.. Could be black spot...hard to tell... I have seen it in discus as Tony, but what I saw was in the presence of salt that had been added to the tank..and the source was a frozen marine food.

I think I would wait and not panic. here... If they were a parasite, the other fish inthe tank would most likely exhibit the same.. do they?

The fish looks absolutely fine. I would watch the spots and see if they move on the fish, and see if they increase or decrease...But I think you need totake a few deep breaths and take it slow.

Just my thoughts here,
al

Did this come from the CBW.. never heard of it from others here over the years.. ... The snail...Keeping snails with Discus is a big No-no in my book, they act as a secondary host to too many pathogens.... i would suspect it over all else in this case.

CliffsDiscus
10-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Marie,
Don't get a panic attack, there is a medication made just for Black Spots Disease, its called Black Spot Control made by Aquatronics. Aquatronics is
out of business but some of the stores may still have them as this product
does not sell quickly. Also not to worry about your snails because the medication is use as a bath.

Cliff

TRAKURT
10-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Just leave the fish alone dont medicate for that. No big deal.

Kindredspirit
10-07-2006, 01:37 AM
Hi Marie,
The biggest mistake you can make with discus is "knee Jerk reactionary paranoa"... :) Not that we all haven't done that at one time or another.... I Honestly have no idea what those spots are... but They don't look like they are raised in any way. They look Like Freckels.. or . ....or small bruises to me.. Could be black spot...hard to tell... I have seen it in discus as Tony, but what I saw was in the presence of salt that had been added to the tank..and the source was a frozen marine food.

I think I would wait and not panic. here... If they were a parasite, the other fish inthe tank would most likely exhibit the same.. do they?

The fish looks absolutely fine. I would watch the spots and see if they move on the fish, and see if they increase or decrease...But I think you need totake a few deep breaths and take it slow.

Just my thoughts here,
al

Did this come from the CBW.. never heard of it from others here over the years.. ... The snail...Keeping snails with Discus is a big No-no in my book, they act as a secondary host to too many pathogens.... i would suspect it over all else in this case.

Hey Al ~ I guess at times I remember that one little white spot on this same fish...infact...and Deb was here we blew it off and said "wait" ...the next morning 12 hours later they were down....I can not shake that sometimes....

I am going to get rid of that snail ~ I do not see these spots on anyone else and no they do not appear raised but just like little drops of ink...lol! I will see if they move....or not ~

Thanks Al ~ appreciate it ~

Kindredspirit
10-07-2006, 01:40 AM
Marie,
Don't get a panic attack, there is a medication made just for Black Spots Disease, its called Black Spot Control made by Aquatronics. Aquatronics is
out of business but some of the stores may still have them as this product
does not sell quickly. Also not to worry about your snails because the medication is use as a bath.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff! I knew this fish didnt pepper.....Hey I wanted you to see my discus from Marc....look for a pic ~ he is getting big;)

Just leave the fish alone dont medicate for that. No big deal.

Ya know I do not mind peppering Kurt...not at all ~ but this just looks ....wrong....lol! Thank You ~

M ~

TRAKURT
10-07-2006, 01:47 AM
If you add some salt it will speed up the time it takes to get rid of the black spots.

Kindredspirit
10-07-2006, 08:21 AM
You don't say....I shall keep that in mind, Sir:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_207.gif