PDA

View Full Version : Lid removal on barrel help please

Riche_guy
10-06-2006, 11:22 PM
I just purchased two 45 gallon barrels used for food preparation. Now I want to clean and use for water. I was wondering how to remove the lids? Perhaps some of you have this type of barrel? Here is the link to a picture of it and it is the white ones at $16.99

http://www.materiauxabasprix.ca/promo_nouveautes/basprix.aspx?lang=0&recherche=1&Name=baril%20de%20quai

Thanks.

Timbo
10-07-2006, 05:57 AM
to get the lid off you're going to need:

- one acelyatane blowtorch (not propane)
- a pnuematic 2-ton jackhammer
- 3 lbs C4 plastic explosive
- one tow-truck (with a 5 ton winch)
- 14 of your biggest friends, preferably with professional wrestling experience

or call the place you bought it from and ask them :)

Riche_guy
10-07-2006, 06:55 AM
to get the lid off you're going to need:

- one acelyatane blowtorch (not propane)
- a pnuematic 2-ton jackhammer
- 3 lbs C4 plastic explosive
- one tow-truck (with a 5 ton winch)
- 14 of your biggest friends, preferably with professional wrestling experience

or call the place you bought it from and ask them :)

Hey that is funny!! :)

Yes I have called and emailed the company, but they have not returned my call or emailed me. The company is called Nampac and it has been bought by BWay corporation.

Timbo
10-07-2006, 07:24 AM
it could be that they dont come off, maybe thats why they are looking for a new Quality Control person :)

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?IPath=OCCG&jobcount=1&job_did=JQ7DZ6ZN65061S8M4K&sc=&sfascc=&dv=dv&jrdid=&lpage=1&sname=&CiBookMark=1&strcrit=QID%3dA6653263353595%3bst%3da%3buse%3dALL% 3bCID%3dUS%3bSID%3d%3f%3bTID%3d0%3bENR%3dNO%3bDTP% 3dDR3%3bYDI%3dYES%3bIND%3dALL%3bPDQ%3dAll%3bJN%3dA ll%3bPAYL%3d0%3bPAYH%3dgt120%3bPOY%3dNO%3bETD%3dAL L%3bRE%3dALL%3bMGT%3dDC%3bSUP%3dDC%3bFRE%3d30%3bCH L%3dAL%3bQS%3dsid_unknown%3bSS%3dNO%3bTITL%3d0%3bJ QT%3dRAD%3bNCC%3d%5eNAMPAC%24&sd=&pg=

mench
10-07-2006, 08:24 AM
I take it that the barrels are a type of plastic.I have the same type.You can do a couple of things.I cut a 12 in square hole in the top added a couple of hinges and a handle.easier to heat a enclosed barrel than an open one.
On another barrel I drilled a 1/2 in hole under the top and used a good saber saw to cut it off,or if you don't have a good saw,drill a bunch of holes around the barrel to make it easier to cut.
As for cleaning I just took them outside,added some dish soap and ran hot water to clean,then a little bleach and rinsed with water for an hour or so.
Hope this helps.

Mench

jeep
10-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Mench is correct. Those lids do not come off.

Greg Richardson
10-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Drill a hole to get a place for blade. Use a sawza[sp?] to cut out how much you want. Have help holding the barrel while you cut.

Riche_guy
10-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks guys for your help. I guess I have no choice, but to cut out a hole. Too bad.

dandestroy
10-07-2006, 10:49 AM
I felt the same way at frst, but I'm quite happy with a 8''x8' aquare hold now. Removing the lid would have been pointless after all when I think about it.

the good new its that its very easy to drill a hole and then to jigsaw the cover.

yeomans
10-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Jigsaws work great, get a new sharp blade and they come off quick.

Ed13
10-07-2006, 12:57 PM

They do if you cut them off;)

I take it that the barrels are a type of plastic.I have the same type.You can do a couple of things.I cut a 12 in square hole in the top added a couple of hinges and a handle.easier to heat a enclosed barrel than an open one.
On another barrel I drilled a 1/2 in hole under the top and used a good saber saw to cut it off,or if you don't have a good saw,drill a bunch of holes around the barrel to make it easier to cut.
As for cleaning I just took them outside,added some dish soap and ran hot water to clean,then a little bleach and rinsed with water for an hour or so.
Hope this helps.

Mench

The hole in the top is a great idea, never thought of it, but it does sound easier to heat an enclosed barrel. Then again I doubt that in my case it will speed up things a lot!:)

Riche_guy
10-07-2006, 02:19 PM

Your setup seems interesting in the diagram. Can you explain it? (I'm still in class 101)

Thanks

tony1313
10-07-2006, 05:12 PM
I have the same type of barrels. Their are already 2 holes in the top, I didn't see a need for any more so I just left them as is. You'll lose less heat and have less evaporation. I put the heater down one hole and a pump hose down the other.

hth,
Tony

Riche_guy
10-07-2006, 05:36 PM
I have the same type of barrels. Their are already 2 holes in the top, I didn't see a need for any more so I just left them as is. You'll lose less heat and have less evaporation. I put the heater down one hole and a pump hose down the other.

hth,
Tony

So what do you do? Do you have the hose at the top with a pump to push water into the other barrel?

What I'm thinking of doing is joining the two barrels together with a 1 inch PVC pipe near the bottom through bulkheads and using one or two powerheads to circulate the water. If i use a powerhead in each barrel, it should be enough to circulate the water between the two barrels. With this circulation it will allow me to put a 500watt heater in one of the barrels and it should heat both barrels.

I was thinking further and perhaps I should add two shut off valves between the two barrels in case I want to seperate them for cleaning or if one springs a leak.

What do you think?

tony1313
10-09-2006, 12:02 PM
I use an external pump that sits on the floor and a ball shut off valve at the end that goes to the tank. When a barrel is close to being empty I just shut the valve off and stick the the other end of the hose into the next barrel. I also use an air pump & stones to agitate the water.

Tony

jeep
10-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Your setup seems interesting in the diagram. Can you explain it? (I'm still in class 101)

Thanks

The blue air pump you see is a pretty powerful dual outlet pump for aging the water. The PVC hose is for the water pump that stretches to all my tanks for filling. The 1" white PVC is a syphon between the barrels so the water being pumped out of the barrel on the right is automatically replaced by the tank on the left, doubling the water capacity and eliminating the need to keep moving the pump from barrel to barrel. The black cord is for a 300w heater.

Easy to config. and easy to move, if needed, and if if I want to conserve energy I just cover the holes with styro foam...