PDA

View Full Version : 90 Gallon Tank - 7 discus

wayne29
10-09-2006, 05:20 PM
I would like to get two more... Anyone think 9 is too many in a 90 Gallon? I do 20% to 25% water change 4 to 5 times a week (can't always do it everyday).

wayne29
10-09-2006, 05:21 PM
two more

greyhoundfan
10-09-2006, 07:22 PM
2 more shouldn't be a problem with 4-5 times a week WC. I would at least do 50%. You might get better results if you remove the gravel. Tanks easier to maintain with a bare bottom.

all your discus looks very nice and healthy. My favorite one is the albino.. well, that's what it looks like to me.

marilyn1998
10-09-2006, 07:31 PM
The number of discus depends on a few things. First off, I see you have gravel. So at least 4-5 WC's a week of 25% or more is necessary.

Second, is the size of the fish. In my 90 gallon, gravel, a few plastic plants, I had 14 juvies. None were larger than 3". I also had to do a DAILY WC of 25% or more to keep the water quality good with the gravel bottom.

Once the fish become adolescents they will start feeling their hormones. That is when I had to lower my stck to 9-10 fish. Still doing daily WC's.

Once the discus start to breed, or get bigger than 5", you dont need as many feedings, they dont dirty as much and you can go down to every other day WC.

I planted my tank after the discus were all bigger than 5" and have found that 5 adults is about the breaking point on my tank to keep my parameters where they need to be. Once I add that sixth fish, twice a week WC's and my water params start to go haywire.

You will find in your own tank where the balance is by your water quality and the behaviour of your fish.

The 1 discus per 10 gallon rule is good for bare bottom tanks but is a guideline, not a rule.

wayne29
10-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the kind words and advice.