PDA

View Full Version : MORE DISCUS, CAN I?

Fadi
10-09-2006, 11:34 PM
OK so I have about 4 Tangerine Discus from Cary Strong (3 inches), and I am about to 4 quarter sized White Butterflies from him this week. Is this too much for a 55 gallon???? Also do you think the discus will all get along, I was thinking of having the Butteflies divided with a divider on the other side of the tank.

OppInIonSS?

goheel
10-09-2006, 11:43 PM
I think the rule of thumb is 1 discus/10 gal . You're already overstocked your tank.

greyhoundfan
10-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Judging from their sizes you can get by. You'd have to do at least 50% or more daily water changes.

1st. QT the your new arrivals first.. NO MATTER what the source.
2nd. I'm a little worried about the size disparity. Mixing 3-inchers with quarter sized discus might not be a good idea. The smaller guys might get bullied around and not get their fare share of food. I'd try it with out the tank divider first but if it's still a problem than add it.
3rd. Worth repeating.. keep up with your water changes. Discuses at quarter size need to be fed a lot during the course of the day. At least 3-4 times daily. This will dirty up your water b/c as we all know discuses are pooping machines.

Good luck and take lots and lots of pics.

White Worm
10-10-2006, 12:58 AM
I would keep them seperate.

mench
10-10-2006, 07:58 AM
I agree,not good to mix really small ones with the larger ones..Discus do have a pecking order.Look for another tank.

Mench

t_j
10-10-2006, 08:50 AM
I also am thinking of getting some discus from Cary but I only have a 20 long and a 10 gallon tanks. Of course I'm going to QT them but my question is will a 20 long grow them out enough for me to then put them in my 125? Would I have to buy a bigger tank?

pcsb23
10-10-2006, 10:13 AM
I also am thinking of getting some discus from Cary but I only have a 20 long and a 10 gallon tanks. Of course I'm going to QT them but my question is will a 20 long grow them out enough for me to then put them in my 125? Would I have to buy a bigger tank?
Bigger tank. 55 and upwards is good imo.

tony1313
10-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Don't mean to high-jack your thread Fadi.

Tiffany,
More fish & less water = higher bio-load. At 3" & a 20 gallon tank you'd have to limit yourself to 3 discus and do 50% w/c per day and as they grow out step up the w/c's. Eventually a bigger tank.

hth,
Tony

Carol_Roberts
10-12-2006, 05:00 PM
You can easily growout 8 juveniles in a 55, BUT you have stay vigilant with the water changes. HOWEVER it is risky at best to combine two groups even if they are from the same highly reputable source. Why don't you talk to Cary. HE will tell you the best way to QT the new guys before adding to your 55. He can also advise you about daily water changes and how many gallons to change. As the fish grow larger they produce more waste and you will have to change more water . . .

t_j
10-12-2006, 05:28 PM
You can easily growout 8 juveniles in a 55, BUT you have stay vigilant with the water changes. HOWEVER it is risky at best to combine two groups even if they are from the same highly reputable source. Why don't you talk to Cary. HE will tell you the best way to QT the new guys before adding to your 55. He can also advise you about daily water changes and how many gallons to change. As the fish grow larger they produce more waste and you will have to change more water . . .

Right now I have 8 in a 125gal and they can get messy with the food and waste. When I had my 55 the most I had in there was 6 but IME they grow better in a bigger tank with that amount of fish JMO.