PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Best Aquarium Light

samcatj
10-13-2006, 02:44 PM
I know this topic has been written about on this site many times but the question needs to be raised again.

What type of light do you think best show's off the colors of your discus?

I currently am using a Coralife 50/50. The bulb has been running 8-10 hours a day for over three years now and I feel sure it's life is limited.

Please respond back with what type of bulb you are using and how well it shows the colors of your fish.

As always thank you in advance for your response.

Samcatj

senso
10-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Samcatj

Often this comes to a matter of personal choice.
Many suggest a combination of 6500 with 10,000. The average useful life is somewhat between 6 months and a year on PC.

Other factors that will affect the overall lighting effect are the colors of substrate, background, plants and driftwood. The other factor to take into account is the color of the fish you are trying to enhance

Hope this helps

tpl*co
10-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Samcatj

Often this comes to a matter of personal choice.
Many suggest a combination of 6500 with 10,000. The average useful life is somewhat between 6 months and a year on PC.

Other factors that will affect the overall lighting effect are the colors of substrate, background, plants and driftwood. The other factor to take into account is the color of the fish you are trying to enhance

Hope this helps

Don't forget, if you're going to have live plants, then wattage and type of light will have to be taken into account too. A fish only tank can go lower wattage.

Tina

samcatj
10-16-2006, 03:50 PM
I've got a 125g bare bottom tank with no plants but some driftwood. The fish are mainly blue, orange and red. HTH.

Thanks,

Samcatj

Ronald
10-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Hi all ,

In addition to the daylight I also us Blue Moon from corallife.
It brings out some colors real nice.
I have them go on about 1/2 hour earlier and they stay 1/2 hour longer on then the day light.

Ronald