PDA

View Full Version : Panacur/levamisole/piperazine?

traco
10-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Okay, I am looking for a broad base wormer. My vet can get the panacur puppy granules but only in 300 grams and it is expensive!

A medication via through food is the best to treat internally. Is there somewhere someone could lead me to for buying one of these meds?

We worm our dogs and cats periodically so why not our fish also. The hard part is trying to find the stuff in Canada. I searched Big Al's but nothing.

t_j
10-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Have you tried www.thatfishplace.com I don't know if they would have it but you could check.

poconogal
10-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Okay, I am looking for a broad base wormer. My vet can get the panacur puppy granules but only in 300 grams and it is expensive!

A medication via through food is the best to treat internally. Is there somewhere someone could lead me to for buying one of these meds?

We worm our dogs and cats periodically so why not our fish also. The hard part is trying to find the stuff in Canada. I searched Big Al's but nothing.
Barb, you can get bits with piperazine in them from Al at www.rockymountaindiscus.com and he is a Simply sponsor. He's also got Metro bits, too.

pcsb23
10-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Barb,

Panacur contains fenbendazole and must ONLY be fed in food, not in the water. Assuming the panacur contains 22% of fenbendazole then even using it at a high dosage it will last. Dose at the rate of 1 gram of panacur to 2 ounces (50grams) to 4 (100 grams) ounces of food. feed this for 3 days at least twice a day. Then repeat a week later. I have found it to be very effective for ALL types of worms and very safe to use.

levamisole/piperazine can be used in water so is useful if they are not eating, but again in the UK we cannot easily get this stuff, but Flubendaziole is readily available (known as flubenol in the UK) and is also very effective and can be used in the water. Some are sayiong that it must only beused in the water but some UK guys have fed it in food with good results.

My vote is for panacur. I've trusted it for quite some time.

traco
10-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Yep, Paul, I remembered about panacur is to be used in food only. Makes sense, as the worms are internal too. I can't get it here though so that is why I was looking for help in getting some.

Rocky Mountain Discus does have a medicated fish food or you can get just the dewormer. http://rockymountaindiscus.com/Food_and_medications.htm

Which would be better? Or where can I get the panacur?