PDA

View Full Version : worming Discus

dogday7
10-14-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi
I got 6 - 2 1/2 inch Discus a month ago, and they are all doing fine.
They are in a 90 gal. tank with 8 Panda cories, 8 Julii cories, 12 Neon Tetras,
and 10 baby guppies that I tried to feed to the discus,and are still there.
I never wormed my discus, or used any medication.
I was wondering if I need to do anything, or leave them as is?

ty, John

Cosmo
10-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Are you only concerned because they haven't eaten the baby guppies :confused: Or are there other indications something may be wrong?
Jim

dogday7
10-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Nothing is wrong, I did not know if worming was something you did just in case there was worms, like they do with puppies.

traco
10-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Good question, Dogday.:D I asked the same. Be interesting to see what the others have to say, There was a link to www.rockymountaindiscus.com which has bits with piperazine in it. A broad wormer. I tried to find panacur here but no luck.

As it is, I'll have to order this stuff from the States. Why is there nothing here in Canada? Or am I not searching enough?

Also, it's better to treat through food, targets way better internally.

pcsb23
10-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Whilst I would not advocate unecessary medication, I do think that periodic de-worming can be beneficial. dependng on circumstances once every year would be sensible. If you keep a lot of wilds and have a continually changing stock then every 6 months may make more sense.

My preferred de-wormer is panacur puppy granules, they contain fenbendazole (at 22%) and must only be fed in food. In the UK its available over the counter so I would expect it would be in most other countries. For water based treatment I use flubendazol known as flubeol in the UK.

hth,

dandestroy
10-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Good question, Dogday.:D I asked the same. Be interesting to see what the others have to say, There was a link to www.rockymountaindiscus.com which has bits with piperazine in it. A broad wormer. I tried to find panacur here but no luck.

As it is, I'll have to order this stuff from the States. Why is there nothing here in Canada? Or am I not searching enough?

Also, it's better to treat through food, targets way better internally.

I'm in Quebec city, and medicatioo regulation is a lot more tigh here than in Ontario. I just went to my ve,told her that I needed some panacur (fenbendazole), that I neede it to treat some discus, and that it was a common known procedure for these fish, and that only a small quantity would do. They sold it to me right away. If you actually tell them that discus can be worth 100$ they get more sensitive to your issue.

discusdave
10-19-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm in Quebec city, and medicatioo regulation is a lot more tigh here than in Ontario. I just went to my ve,told her that I needed some panacur (fenbendazole), that I neede it to treat some discus, and that it was a common known procedure for these fish, and that only a small quantity would do. They sold it to me right away. If you actually tell them that discus can be worth 100$ they get more sensitive to your issue.

Hikari Prazi-Pro has worked well for me in the past. Praziquantel is the active ingredient.
Regards,

traco
10-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Francois, I'm going to have to try your line. My vet could get some panacur but like 300 grams but I have to buy the whole amount, $100.00's of dollars!

I'm going to try again tomorrow at another vet. Wish me luck.:)

Discusdave, I was looking for a broad spectrum wormer that targets more than just tapeworms, but thanks for that info.

discusdave
10-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Discusdave, I was looking for a broad spectrum wormer that targets more than just tapeworms, but thanks for that info.

It does treat more than just tapeworms, but I don't know if this is what you want. Here is a product description quote as to what it treats:

"treats flukes, tapeworms, flatworms, turbellarians; can be used as a preventive."

BigAl's sells it up in Canada.

Regards,

ShinShin
10-21-2006, 11:23 PM
Pazi is ineffective against nematodes.

Mat