View Full Version : How do you feed your discus fresh garlic?

soundtweakers
10-18-2006, 10:37 AM
I tried mixing up thawed frozen blood worms with freshly minced garlic, and my discus picked the worms but not the garlic. I ended up with lots of leftover garlic bits all over the tank and stinky water.

Anyone with any success feeding discus garlic?

Mack
10-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Many to most people do in fact feed garlic. However, the garlic is mixed into either a beef heart or beef mix recipe. Not too long ago, someone even talked about a 50/50 ratio of beef to garlic in their mix.
Joe

pcsb23
10-18-2006, 11:35 AM
I tried mixing up thawed frozen blood worms with freshly minced garlic, and my discus picked the worms but not the garlic. I ended up with lots of leftover garlic bits all over the tank and stinky water.

Anyone with any success feeding discus garlic?

And doesn't it just stink too!

If the blood worm soaked in it long enough they will have got some of it. The garlic has to be virtually pured imo and it needs to be fresh too.

BTW I don't feed garlic very often, in fact don't think I've fed them garlic this year.

You can always get a gas mask from army surplus :D

soundtweakers
10-18-2006, 11:51 AM
I was raised on traditional Chinese cooking(among many things) that's garlic heavy, so the garlic doesn't really bother me(it's the wife:p ).

I'll try mince the garlic even smaller and see if they'll eat it.
How about soaking the garlic puree with thawed bloodworms in the fridge for a couple of hour, will the garlic infused bloodworm be any good?

billy

pcsb23
10-18-2006, 11:59 AM
I was raised on traditional Chinese cooking(among many things) that's garlic heavy, so the garlic doesn't really bother me(it's the wife:p ).

I'll try mince the garlic even smaller and see if they'll eat it.
How about soaking the garlic puree with thawed bloodworms in the fridge for a couple of hour, will the garlic infused bloodworm be any good?

billy

I love garlic in my food, Indian, Chinese, French and Italian. But the smell in water - yuk!

Soaking blood worm or granules should work ok.

Jarrod
10-18-2006, 12:58 PM
I add fresh garlic to my bh mixture as I process the bh as well as spirulina flakes and all the other stuff I use in it..mainly tho I use Carols BH recipe I found on here along with peeled raw shrimp in it. As well as some crushed vitamins. I fix it according to her recipe and it works great or at least all my discus eat it...lol...not to say I'd eat it on a sandwich or hamburger bun or anything like that but I do know my fish like it!
George

Jazz
10-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Hello Billy; I mix 7 to 8 crushed garlic cloves (not minced) to 4 pounds of BH and my Discus love it:)

Jazz:cool:

AADiscus
10-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Here is a link to a thread previously on Garlic.

HTH

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=45901&highlight=garlic

soundtweakers
10-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks so much for all the info, I'm going to be kickin' up a notch with garlic:p

Billy

AADiscus
10-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Just remember that fresh garlic looses it punch pretty fast. If you are putting it in bh then it will be worthless by the time you feed all of it to your fish. JMO

swinters66
10-19-2006, 10:21 PM
I was thinking the same thing the other day. The petsmart by my house has SF Bay frozen beefheart, but not the beefheart plus. So, I was kicking around the idea of maybe thawing the cubes out...and then adding some things, i.e.-garlic, spirulina, vitamins, etc, then re-freezing.

I would probably mince the garlic super fine, or just pull out my little hand held processor and grind the fresh garlic up that way before adding it to the food you already have...or in my case, to the beefheart, whenever i have to get more.

Not sure if I will need a binder if I go this route...unless I add raw shrimp to it. Not sure. I am still mulling this project over.

soundtweakers
10-19-2006, 11:37 PM
I would probably mince the garlic super fine, or just pull out my little hand held processor and grind the fresh garlic up that way before adding it to the food you already have...or in my case, to the beefheart, whenever i have to get more.
This is exactly what I'm doing! The fish pick the bloodworms and colorbits and not really going after the garlic(about the same size as the colorbits). I end up with garlic smell in my tank and small garlic pieces all over the place. I'm going to try soaking the food in squeezed garlic juice for a while and feed it to them, maybe the garlic soaked food will benefit them???

Billy

swinters66
10-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Good idea...I didn't think about garlic juice....I'd check the label and make sure its 100%, not galic juice with things added to it.

greyhoundfan
10-21-2006, 01:28 AM
I know you said fresh garlic.. if you get tired of crunching, mincing, crushing, blending your garlic..

Seachem makes Garlic Guard. I soak my tetrabits in it along with multivitamin mix from vitachem. My discus will eat that at least.

samk43
10-25-2006, 04:40 PM
did any one try garlic oil with bh.orTry adding garlic oil with flake and tetra bits . After adding it just matter of 2 min flake and tetra absorb the oil and is ready for your fish so no mess in tank and they eat it very fast.