PDA

View Full Version : An Update of My Planted Tank

marilyn1998
10-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Just thought I would post a few update pics in the hopes that MARIE will get the bug!!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/marilyn1998/10-20-06/100_1567.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/marilyn1998/10-20-06/100_1574.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/marilyn1998/10-20-06/100_1571.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/marilyn1998/10-20-06/100_1572.jpg

Please dont notice the dirty tank!!! (or stand) Tomorrow is WC day!

traco
10-20-2006, 09:38 PM
I was going to comment on the diry tank too. No, not really. I see no dirty tank, I see someone who is doing quite well with her plants.:D The tank looks awesome, Marilyn! You should be proud. I can't believe you and I have the same size tank; mine looks nothing like yours. I hope to get some more plants in there, got some wisteria today to float on the top. Hope it does well and I can then propogate and plant some of it. I LOVE that big plant in your tank. Is that a sword and from Larry?

Great pics and thanks for sharing.

* do you think Marie has succumbed to the dark side yet?

fishmama
10-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Really looks awesome and I just adore your bolivians too! Mine have spawned twice with no fry :-(

Do you have two xp2's on that? I have 1 xp3 on my 60 gal and I just LOVE it.

Nice job!
Lisa

wolfbane
10-20-2006, 10:45 PM
Marilyn, mighty fine tank you got there! What's the red plant in the background on the left?

lhforbes12
10-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Marilyn,
The tank is looking very good! Now that you have CO2 be careful of the sword plants, they sit for about a month and then just take off. You appear to be doing an excellent job growing those plants btw.

CAGE-RATTLER
10-21-2006, 03:31 AM
Tank looks great marilyn.

Ive thought about converting my 100 gallon to a planted tank but my big pleco would probably tear them all up and i fear if i get rid of the pleco ........ the tank would get overun with algae. That pleco keeps that 100 gallon spotless but is always re-arranging all the decorations ..... lol..

Kindredspirit
10-21-2006, 04:41 AM
Just thought I would post a few update pics in the hopes that MARIE will get the bug!!

.....I am glad I peeked in here ~

I love it Marilyn....your substrate too :gorgeous:

pcsb23
10-21-2006, 05:38 AM
Marilyn, very nice indeed. As you are running CO2 you may find some root tabs near the swords will help them. They look good btw as do the fish. Those rams look huge!

marilyn1998
10-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks Barb!!!

I am trying hard to get the scape where I want it. Doing one plant at a time, getting it healthy and large and then putting it where I want it.
Wisteria will groew FAST! Even before CO2, mine went from 4 leaves one day, to about 1/3 of my tank within 3 weeks! You can go ahead and plant it right off. No need to float it.
YEs, that is E. Beleheri. The true Amazon sword, from Larry. I have to trim it every few days!
Good Luck with yours Barb!

marilyn1998
10-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Fishmama,

Yes, I do run 2 XP3's on this tank. I am awaiting a reactor from Rex Grigg. I will be removing the internal reactor from the left side of the tank and running the CO2 through the XP3 and spray bar on the left.
My Bolivians have only spawned once that I saw, but the other male ate the egss in the first 24 hours. Since then, I got 3 tiny ones that have grown to the point I almost cant tell them from the big ones! My niece is a potter and is making me a "Ram Condo" for the tank which will help fill in the right side.
Thanks for the good words.

marilyn1998
10-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Debbie,

The red plant is Rotala Macranda. I am hoping it will grow to about 4 inches from the top of the tank. I should (haha) be able to make it grow like a sloped bush. That is the plan and I am sticking to it!!! It looks a little rough right now because I just planted it a few hours before I took the pictures.

marilyn1998
10-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Larry,
thanks for the compliments. IT seems I am trimming that sword in the middle every few days! THe melon sword on the left front I am trying to keep thinner and taller. Not sure how that one is gonna do, today my male wont leave it alone. If I knew for a fact I had a female in there I would say he is cleaning it. HRmmm, watching him though, I swear he found a young female as he is butting everyone away from there!! All but the little female.
Thanks for the words of encouragement!

marilyn1998
10-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Cage,
If you have started to think about a planted tank.... you've been bitten. THere are some kinds of planted you can keep with Plecos and africans.
I can offer some advice if you ever need it. LOL.
Just so much more for the fish to explore!!! They love the plants. I would never have another tank without something in it. Even it if stays in a pot!

marilyn1998
10-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Marie,

Thanks for the kind words. I should be trimming in a bit. Want to pm me????

AmberC
10-21-2006, 10:56 AM
It looks great Marilyn! WTG!

marilyn1998
10-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Paul,
Thanks for the tip! I did put root tabs in the swords. Thanks for the compliments on the fish as well. Sometimes I wonder if I am doing everything I can for them. They sure do grow fast!!!! The plants too!

marilyn1998
10-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks Amber!!!

When you finally get moved, put up more pics!! I miss seeing yours!

Ed13
10-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Debbie,

The red plant is Rotala Macranda. I am hoping it will grow to about 4 inches from the top of the tank. I should (haha) be able to make it grow like a sloped bush. That is the plan and I am sticking to it!!! It looks a little rough right now because I just planted it a few hours before I took the pictures.

Magenta? If it is its way easier than regular macandra, and you'll love the smaller leaves

Ed13
10-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks Barb!!!

I am trying hard to get the scape where I want it. Doing one plant at a time, getting it healthy and large and then putting it where I want it.
Wisteria will groew FAST!

If I may, the E osiris will be bigger and have darker leaves than the bleheri the new leaves will also be dark red, it will draw to much of the eye to that location were the rotala its also situated. The bleheri is also to much of a center plant, but it looks as the meeting spot for the discus;) :D

I really like the tank look so far, I don't know what particular direction you want to take(dutch?) but rotala indica, even better if its the green and micranthemus micranthemoides are two really nice plants that will fill in the negative are and because of the small leaves will make the tank seem bigger.
They are only suggestions though!:)

Good job in bringing Marie to the green side!:D

tony1313
10-21-2006, 06:11 PM
Nice job, it looks great! I've thought about trying a planted but I seem to have a brown thumb...

Tony

pcsb23
10-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Good job in bringing Marie to the green side!:D

Ed I quite like the green side, but the dark side sounds more mysterious:bandana:

traco
10-21-2006, 06:36 PM
But you get cookies! Tony S said so.:D

marilyn1998
10-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Ed13,

Yes, it is magenta! Thanks for the information. I will look at those 2 plants. Actually I was already thinking of the Indica for the right side but was wondering if that was too much of the same look.
Where should I move the e. osiris to?? I know it has to go somewhere else.
Also, suggestions for the bleheri?? The discus do seem to like to meet there in the middle. THey swim through the leaves all the time.
I planted a bulb in the middle to the right of E bleheri of Nymphaea Zenkeri. Dunno what it will look like tho.
Please, more advice!!

marilyn1998
10-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Tony,

A planted isnt hard at all. Just stick with anubias, java fern, wisteria and driftwood until you get that down! I think water conditioning is harder than plants!!

lhforbes12
10-21-2006, 09:51 PM
I was reading Ed's reply and it made me think of ideas of my own, although Ed's ideas are pretty darn good.

I would tie the Anubias to the driftwood that they are sitting in front of. Move the Sword Plant slightly to the right and a little to the front. In the Anubias place I would put Cryptocoryne petchii, on the other side of the driftwood (towards the center) I would put C. wendtii. On the right I would add some Saggitaria subulata, and keep it thinned so it stays short. I would remove or just move the driftwood on the right. The E. osiris I would move over closer to the E. bleheri (I disagree with Ed about this, they BOTH get HUGE) so they kind of cancel each other out. I would consider removing one of the bunches of Bacopa(?), probably the one on the right, and replacing it with a Val (V. americana or V. tortua) and replace the driftwood I told you to take out so it grows all around it (or maybe take the driftwood and lean it on the glass still having something grow all around it).

Ed13
10-21-2006, 11:52 PM
. The E. osiris I would move over closer to the E. bleheri (I disagree with Ed about this, they BOTH get HUGE) so they kind of cancel each other out.

hehehe, you are right Larry they both get huge! but Osiris grows in faster(and much bigger emerged; that's what I was thinking) or may appear to since the leaves are darker and may vary from leave to leave
Really good idea about trying them closer, just not right in the center, trust me center plants get boring after a while

I would consider removing one of the bunches of Bacopa(?), probably the one on the right, and replacing it with a Val (V. americana or V. tortua) and replace the driftwood I told you to take out so it grows all around it (or maybe take the driftwood and lean it on the glass still having something grow all around it).

Very good advice multiple bunches plants seldom look appealing to the eye. and yes vallis is a great idea(I really like regular spiralis and red vallis) Crypt balansae and retrospiralis are also similar to what Larry suggested, research a bit for what you want since there are many other options.

Ed I quite like the green side, but the dark side sounds more mysterious:bandana:

Paul it was meant as green with envy;) :D

Yes, it is magenta! Thanks for the information. I will look at those 2 plants. Actually I was already thinking of the Indica for the right side but was wondering if that was too much of the same look.

That's why I said green indica, even though indica and magenta will look good together, but the dark red of the magenta is going to attract a lot of attention. The micranthemus is a light green plant with small leaves used in the foreground to mid-ground

I CAN GO INTO MUCH DETAIL, treating the tank as it was my own if you'd like me to and don't mind

marilyn1998
10-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Ok, until I get more plants and decide on the major ones, here is what I did.

The bacopa on the right I put a bit more tightly together and just off center to the left. THe anubias barteri v. nana I left alone in front of the driftwoods until the rotala gets a bit higher. THen I will mount on the driftwoods and add another lower layer of crypt petchii. On the exposed right end of the driftwoods I still have my java windelov.

THis left the entire right side with only the smaller wood and some anubias nana. I cleaned up the roots and pieces from the E Bleheri and replanted it about midway between center and the right of the tank. ALso pulled it our from the back a good 4". I put the osiris in front of the input tube on the right with enough room for it to grow up.

PLANS:
Gonna get a patch of Saggitaria subulata and put it in the left front corner. Also gonna put some in the open area in front of the E Bleheri between the two woods. In the rear, behind the swords and between them I am putting Val Americana.

That leaves the center back of the tank open.... thinking of something maybe only 6-10 inches tall there.

Pics to come later tonight. I am pooped!

More ideas please????? (crypt wendtii died off on me as well as the retrospiralis I had when I got rid of the BBA.)

Ed13
10-22-2006, 05:14 PM
First things first, it’s a nice tank so please don’t be offended and remember it’s only my opinion and others may disagree, I also write this looking at the pics already provided, I can’t really visualize what you have done so far.:o

First don’t move the rotala although the bunch in the far left could be a little more to the inside. Group the bacopa together behind the rotala and let it grow to cover the hoses in the background. Remove the osiris. Now you need a plant, wood or stones in front of the rotala.
You could place a piece of wood an tie anubias to it, but I would just plant the anubias in the soil around the rotala the goal is to have shade loving plant here so that the red plant stands out between the bacopa and the anubias. Another option is to plant the micranthemus or stargrass here
Now your whole left side is done you can either remove the wood or maybe get other pieces to replace the one you have; a dark wood is preferred here. You have windelovi java fern that you can tie to the wood
Leave the mid to foreground of the center in the tank bare for now. Move the osiris to were now there is a whole between the bleheri and the bacopa as much as possible to the back and move the bleheri to the right of the osiris in the midground in front of were the bunch of bacopa in the right is now. The zenkeri can go to left of the osiris, near the back.
In front of the bleheri a crypt such as red wentii would look nice and let it grow up to the front of the osiris would be ( a nice piece of wood could also be the cover for the area near the roots of the osiris). Behind the bleheri you need something, could be indica, vallis, balansae, ludwigias, amaminas etc. Vallisneria is easier and might prove useful if you want to let it grow from end to end in the back to tie the left and right side making a green background, for now if it was my tank I would try to keep the concave aquascape from left to right and a convex from front to back and evolve as necessary
Now you need a foreground echinodorus tenellus is my choice.
Notice how I mostly played with location of plants and introduced very little new species
If you are truly serious the tank mates have to accompany the design so the pb has to go (insert my address here) and replace him with another turk based one, you need 5-7 roselines, 7 bolivian rams, 7-9 cories and 15 cardinals. BUT, why risk it too much leave the tank mates as they are

But hey why listen to me
So far its :thumbsup:

marilyn1998
10-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks Ed13! I will do some more moving tomorrow during WC!! I never take offense and I know everyones tastes can change. But I am so new at scaping it is good to see what others in the know might do. I like yours and Larry's ideas!!!

GrillMaster
10-23-2006, 09:35 PM
crypt wendtii died off on me

I bet if ya wait a few weeks you will see it bounce right back!

Tank is looking great! Swords will always fill in bare spots ya dont know what to do with. The sag idea is a great one! Sags, crypts, an swords always go great in a discus tank. Your rotala will take off in very short order! Love the placement of them at the moment. When ya trim keep me in mind, I will take some from ya for sure!:thumbsup:

marilyn1998
10-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks Bastalker for the encouragement! I have moved the plants I already have and I cant beleive the difference! The discus have so much more room and the middle doesnt look bare at all! My vals and chain sword are coming soon I hope.
When I do trim, I will post so you can get dibs on the ROAK!!!

marilyn1998
10-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Just wanted to post the tank with the changes suggested by Ed13 and Larry.

And a small surprise too!

Full tank. Waiting on some plants for the right side.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/marilyn1998/10-24-06/100_1567.jpg

Please disregard the algae on the glass. Gonna clean it but I found this!!!
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/marilyn1998/10-24-06/100_1571.jpg

EGGS!!!
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/marilyn1998/10-24-06/100_1568.jpg

fishmama
10-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Wow...what a big difference.

Looks awesome...and eggs to boot...they must approve of their redesigned home as well!!!

Lisa

marilyn1998
10-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks Lisa!

I cant believe how much their suggestions opened up that tank! I have room now for more fish!!;) ;)

I have two pair in there now, and a loner male. Funny how they paired up. Both picked the mate of the same strain!! What are the odds?

I am hoping tomorrow I can finish cleaning that glass!

lhforbes12
10-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Marilyn,
See? Even the fish like it better, good enough now to raise a family in <grin>

marilyn1998
10-24-2006, 08:53 PM
You have the touch Larry to see what CAN be instead of what IS. I loved yours and Ed's ideas!!!! WIll post more when the Vals, Sags, and crypts get here. And I will even have cleaned the glass too!!

tpl*co
10-24-2006, 09:09 PM
I don't know if anybody mentioned it yet, but you've got the anubias burried in the substrate? They like their rizomes above the substrate, like tied to a rock or some wood :)

Tina

lhforbes12
10-24-2006, 10:16 PM
I don't know if anybody mentioned it yet, but you've got the anubias burried in the substrate? They like their rizomes above the substrate, like tied to a rock or some wood :)

Tina

Tina,
Normally I would definately agree with you! However, Marilyn is using Soil Master Select. I have found that plants just don't seem to care if there is SMS over their rhizomes for some odd reason. Even Echinodorus which are notorious for not liking their crowns covered don't seem to care with this substrate. I have Sagittaria subulata growing totally UNDER the substrate (beside the glass) and it seems perfectly happy <shrug> It's very odd stuff indeed

Amh 1
10-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Great looking tank Maralyn:)
A few suggestions for some future plant if you dont mind-:
Nymphea Stelletta(tiger lotus bulb)great when they get going.
Apotogeten Crispus(bulb)seasonal dye of then come back twice as nice
Barclaya longlifolia (a real stunner) again a bulb.

Vallisneria americana you've ordered....once had some in a 5 foot me&the better half removed it...measured it from the roots to the tip of the leaves
9.5ft it really is aptly named(i love it fav discus tank plant):thumbsup:

hope you dont mind my suggestions the tanks a work of art already!
In the process of setting my new one (130uk gallon 72x28x18)...Will post pics when its planted!.....Finally agree with Tina try to tie the Anubias to wood/rock....BUT NOT FISH (mmmm.....Camoflage):vanish: Only joking!
Alan

traco
10-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Marilyn, your tank looks great with all the changes you've done and the discus are showing it (laying eggs and all)! I really like the layout and hope I can achieve something along that line one of these days.

You've come a long way, Missy!:D

pcsb23
10-25-2006, 03:44 AM
Looking good Marilyn, keep going :)

You'll be needing a breeding cube next, oh and then a couple of grow out tanks, and then....... ok I'll stop ;)

10-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Nice looking tank! Need to get those pairs in a bb and get some fry!

marilyn1998
10-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Tina,
My rams dont let those anubias stay buried very deep! They love to swim around the leaves and plants.

Larry,
Thanks for that info! I was wondering why I wasnt having more problems planting those.

Alan,
Thanks for all the help!! I never take offense at others suggestions. It what teaches us and allows us to see outside the predrawn box we keep. I havent looked much into bubls at all. That is my next task!! Never be afraid to offer your opinions.

Barb,
I cant believe how much this tank has come from my "pots" to now!

Paul,
This pair is a trip! It is the first clutch for the female and I guess she got tired of it already. She has abandoned it. THe male still takes his turns, but I can see he wont last long keeping the others away. I will move them to a 30 gallon I have and see what happens. This has been a good experience.

Seems the dad is a much better parent then this young female. I will let them try a few more times and see what they learn.

GrillMaster
10-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Now thats what I'm talkin about!! lookin good!!!

Get them vals in the back right corner so they can lay across the surface to the left, the crypts in the mid ground around the wood, an the sags in the foreground, an you'll be smilin!:thumbsup:

Ed13
10-25-2006, 10:38 PM

Tina

Actually Tina contrary to popular belief anubias roots are very capable of absorbing nutrients by their roots. Anubias are pretty much a terrestrial plant that doesn't know it growing underwater, so most nutrient absorption is probably done in the very thick root system, at least I'll continue to believe this until a scientific study proves me wrong;)

Personally I always plant anubia roots in rich substrate since they'll grow better and because aerial roots are really an eyesore when trying to successfully aquascape(this is how it started:) ) just keep the rhyzome exposed

I'm glad I could help out Marilyn, even if it was a small thing!
Now you only need a foreground( I really like e tenellus for a grass look in discus tanks and the sag when a gravel or sand foreground is needed) and the right side needs the vals, otherwise just let it grow and mature, be patient and evolve as needed
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

lhforbes12
10-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Actually Tina contrary to popular belief anubias roots are very capable of absorbing nutrients by their roots. Anubias are pretty much a terrestrial plant that doesn't know it growing underwater, so most nutrient absorption is probably done in the very thick root system, at least I'll continue to believe this until a scientific study proves me wrong;)

Personally I always plant anubia roots in rich substrate since they'll grow better and because aerial roots are really an eyesore when trying to successfully aquascape(this is how it started:) ) just keep the rhyzome exposed

I'm glad I could help out Marilyn, even if it was a small thing!
Now you only need a foreground( I really like e tenellus for a grass look in discus tanks and the sag when a gravel or sand foreground is needed) and the right side needs the vals, otherwise just let it grow and mature, be patient and evolve as needed
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Uhhh.. ED... I believe you misunderstood Tina here. Tina was saying that the rhizomes need to be exposed, which is certainly correct, the roots can be exposed or not. You, however, are also correct that Anubias are really terrestrial plants. One of the things I love most about Anubias (other than they grow somewhat slowly which is something I have come to appreciate) is you can put them almost anywhere in the tank. High light, low light, in soil, in sand, on wood it really doesn't matter to these wonders. They are fast becoming my favorite aquatic plants (well I guess quasi-aquatic would be more correct <grin>)

Ed13
10-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Uhhh.. ED... I believe you misunderstood Tina here. Tina was saying that the rhizomes need to be exposed, which is certainly correct, the roots can be exposed or not. You, however, are also correct that Anubias are really terrestrial plants. One of the things I love most about Anubias (other than they grow somewhat slowly which is something I have come to appreciate) is you can put them almost anywhere in the tank. High light, low light, in soil, in sand, on wood it really doesn't matter to these wonders. They are fast becoming my favorite aquatic plants (well I guess quasi-aquatic would be more correct <grin>)

I guess I did misunderstood, sorry about that!:o

Larry, we think too much alike I've had a passion for anubias since I was a child. My parents have kept plants all their life from roses and orchids to fruit and vegetable plants and trees like avocado(aguacate), mango, passion fruit and bannanas and plantains, but the one I ALWAYS remember are terrestrial anubias of many sizes, colors and flowers. Imagine my surprise when I started with plants to find a replica of those loved by my mother!

lhforbes12
10-26-2006, 01:39 PM
This photo is just for Tina. Tina see what I meant? btw the plants grew there themselves, I did not bury them.

lhforbes12
10-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Ed,
Yep we do seem to have a lot in common! I have pretty much always been passionate about gardening, even as a teenager. When I still lived in San Francisco I had over 500 Cymbidiums (orchids) and numerous other orchids, all of which were tropical but from the "highlands" because I grew them outdoors (San Francisco never freezes).