PDA

View Full Version : hole in the head???

soundtweakers
10-26-2006, 01:08 PM
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/soundtweakers/holeinthehead.jpghttp://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/soundtweakers/hole.jpg
this is hole in the head disease, isn't it...:mad:
it's my favorite fish, and the best behaved one, too..

billy

pcsb23
10-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Hi Billy, man your having a time of it at the moment.

It does look like hith. Fist off its not a disiease/illness that will kill the fish, at least not quickly.

Remind me, have you been treating this fish at all, if so what with, for how long and are you still treating??

Also do you have a qt tank? and is it available?

soundtweakers
10-26-2006, 02:42 PM
This Red Turq has been in my main tank, which was treated with Mela/Pimafix last week for the "pimpled" discus that had slimecoat disease as well. I have already discontinued the meds since last Sunday and added carbon to the filter to remove leftover meds.

This red turq never hides, always the first to greet me and beg for food. That's also why I couldn't get a good side profile photo of this fish. It feeds well and looks very healthy, within two weeks it has gain some noticeable weight(not bloated belly). Also, the bully piegeon doesn't bother this fish much.

I'm hesitated to move this red turq since it's doing so good in my main tank, I don't want to stress this fish at all. If I do major WC of 50-60% daily and really concentrate on water quality, do you think the happier fish with stronger immune system will fight off the disease? Weekly 50% WC with treated tap water has been my normal routine and it never stress anybody, and for two weeks now I've been doing additional daily 20% WC on top of my normal weekly 50%, everybody seems happy(even the plants are flourishing). If there is a possibility that I can skip the meds, I would certainly take that route if you know what I mean.

In turns of meds, I have http://www.junglelabs.com/pages/details.asp?item=TB635which has metronidazole in it. I bought it for those two sick fish in the QT tank. If you think the red turq must be moved to the QT tank and be treated, I will certainly cull those two fish and disinfect the whole QT setup. So I'm waiting for your suggestion.

always nice to see Paul comes to the rescue;)
thank you
billy

pcsb23
10-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Billy there is some debate as to the real causes of this disease. Like many I have some theories. A lot of people will suggest treating with metro, and if flagellates are to blame then metro will get rid of the flagellates. There is evidence too that water quality has a part to play along with diet and mineral content in the water. Now in the majority of tanks, and I think its true for yours, people are using mineral rich water as its often tap water.

With this time is definitely on our side so if you don't want to use meds thats fine. Water quality and food is the way to go. I have found that a good balanced diet with good water and tank hygene can reverse this. It takse time, like a few weeks sometimes but as the fish is eating and evrything else about it seems fine I don't see any major risk yet.

So I would feed FBW, good quality flake/granule, mysis and beefheart. there are plenty of other good foods too, red wrigglers are excellent in these cases.

Your water quality must be top notch, so regular and frequent w/c are called for.

One other thing to think on, you could dab the holes VERY CAREFULLY with 3% H2O2. It will deal with any surface bacteria. Don't get the H2O2 in its eye or gills or mouth, hence the shouting :)

hth,

soundtweakers
10-26-2006, 05:42 PM
I do have H2O2 in my first aid cabinet. Do I just net the fish and dip the holes with a cutip swab? Thanks for the advice.

Billy

Graham
10-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Dry the area with a bit of paper towel 1st and then a bit of H2O2....this is not a case or an area where more is better...dab lightly with a q-tip directly on the spots...do not dab the nares...they are not HITH :)

pcsb23
10-26-2006, 05:55 PM
I do have H2O2 in my first aid cabinet. Do I just net the fish and dip the holes with a cutip swab? Thanks for the advice.

Billy

Prepare first. Need the H2O2, q tips, dry paper towels, wet paper towels on hand. Net the fish, place on the wet paper towels (a wet towel works too!) and cover with another wet towel of fold over. Leave the area to be treated showing!, gently dab the area with the dry paper towel, carefully dab the area with the holes. The fish most likely will twitch/jump when you dab it, so be warned. I normally place a hand gently, but firmly on the fishes body.

The q tip should be wet but not dripping.

Do this quickly without rushing, the fish will sulk for a little while too.

Hah, G sniped me ;)

soundtweakers
10-26-2006, 11:01 PM
I have found that a good balanced diet with good water and tank hygene can reverse this. It takse time, like a few weeks sometimes but as the fish is eating and evrything else about it seems fine I don't see any major risk yet.Would it be okay for me to skip the H2O2 at the moment and concentrate on the water/food quality? Or the hole is now destined to get larger and early treatment is called for?

billy

pcsb23
10-27-2006, 03:11 AM
Would it be okay for me to skip the H2O2 at the moment and concentrate on the water/food quality? Or the hole is now destined to get larger and early treatment is called for?

billy

Yes it is fine to skip the H2O2 treatment, that was always optional. As it stands this is a mild case of HITH so time is on our sde for once. Lots of good clean water and a balanced diet.

tony1313
10-27-2006, 12:04 PM
I have already discontinued the meds since last Sunday and added carbon to the filter to remove leftover meds.

If you haven't already removed the carbon you should do so. Leaving carbon in for extended amounts of time may contribute to hth (especially if it is loaded up with waste and meds).

soundtweakers
10-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Yes it is fine to skip the H2O2 treatment, that was always optional. As it stands this is a mild case of HITH so time is on our sde for once. Lots of good clean water and a balanced diet.

Comfortably numb.alright, Paul, that'll be my game plan. I'll keep you updated.
If you haven't already removed the carbon you should do so. Leaving carbon in for extended amounts of time may contribute to hth (especially if it is loaded up with waste and meds).The carbon was removed last night after 4 days. I don't use carbon normally so the carbon I used was freshly bought. Normally I use Seachem's Purigen for dissolved organic removal.

thanks
billy

soundtweakers
11-24-2006, 12:37 AM
so glad this site is back on, so glad....

well, it's been a month since the last post. This Red Turq is a bit bigger now, the holes remains the same size as the first photo of this thread. It's two other tankmates(two pigeon blood) grew quite a bit. I guess aggression is at play, since this red turq spend most of the time hiding in a driftwood cave. It would come out from time to time to stretch it's "fins". And it looks perfectly healthy.

again, so glad to be back

billy