PDA

View Full Version : Parasite treatment - how long?

sleonard
10-27-2006, 04:08 PM
A couple of weeks ago I did a treatment for parasites. I used Seachem's Metro powder and PraziPro at recomended doses for 6 days. I also fed Hikari Tropical Discus soaked in Gel-Tek anti-parasite for the first 3 days. I did 75% WC every 48 hrs and replaced the meds taken out by the water change. Total treatment time was 6 days and afterwards all but 2 of the discus showed very noticable improvement. Much brighter, clearer eyes, and started coming out from the corner to see me again.

The other 2 showed improvement but stayed darker than normal and continued to stay in the corner and didn't eat much. A week after the treatment most are still healthy looking and acting but a couple have started to darken and hide again.

I wondered if maybe there were some parasite eggs or cysts that survived the 6 day treatment and were re-infecting the tank so I started another treatment using Parasite Clear tabs this time. I have followed the same WC/med replacement as before and they are on day 5 now.

My question is should I give them a day rest and then hit them with another 6 day treatment to make sure no eggs/cysts survive this time?

Scott

CARY_GLdiscus
10-27-2006, 04:42 PM
YES SCOTT,

I like to treat for parisites for 8 days then I move them to a new tank that has been fish free for 3 weeks this will take care of any egg laying parasites
as long as the fish are clean when added.

hth
cary gld!

pcsb23
10-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Scott when I use prazi based meds to treat parasites, mainly external parasite, I do a 3 week treatment. our schedule sounds good to me so to answer your question, yes give them a day or 2 then hit em again for another course.

CAGE-RATTLER
10-28-2006, 02:55 PM
You treated with metro & prazi-pro & geltek at the same time??

sleonard
10-28-2006, 04:36 PM
You treated with metro & prazi-pro & geltek at the same time??

Yep! Adding to the water column treats the whole tank but not as effective internally. Gel-Tek treats internally but does nothing for anything that might be hiding somewhere else in the tank.

Scott